The Student Room Group

How many hours do I need to revise to get As and A*s URGENT HELP!!

This poll is closed

How many hours is sufficient to get As and A*s each week

2 Hours per subject 32%
3 Hours per subject 14%
1 Hour per subject 9%
More than 3 hours per subject45%
Total votes: 22
I am doing 11 GCSEs I would like at least 8 A*s.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You know your own mental and physical stamina better than anyone on here does. Just be ready to back off if your health suffers, or your ability to take in and retain information.

My number one tip is to stay off TSR for the next few hours and get a bit of revision done :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by offhegoes
You know your own mental and physical stamina better than anyone on here does. Just be ready to back off if your health suffers, or your ability to take in and retain information.

My number one tip is to stay off TSR for the next few hours and get a bit of revision done :smile:

I hardly go on TSR but today is an inset day for my school so I thought I might ask the question
Reply 3
Original post by hello8888
I hardly go on TSR but today is an inset day for my school so I thought I might ask the question

Didn't mean to imply you shouldn't be on here, or asking for advice. Just that some people spend too much time planning to revise and putting together a "foolproof" plan, which most of the time it's just a case of getting on with it with a general idea of how much time you're got to work with :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by offhegoes
Didn't mean to imply you shouldn't be on here, or asking for advice. Just that some people spend too much time planning to revise and putting together a "foolproof" plan, which most of the time it's just a case of getting on with it with a general idea of how much time you're got to work with :smile:

I understand but thanks for the advice !!! I was worried about how losing to sleep can impact your health and ultimately leaving you tired which I dont wont !
Reply 5
I have just done mocks (my predictions are in my profile) and I'd say I revised 6 days (and 1 catch up day which can be a free day depending on what you haven't done) a week consistently for the 3 weeks over christmas break, for about 3 productive hours a day, and then some reciting (latin prose, vocal etc). I did past paper every day then made notes on what I couldn't answer. This was extremely efficient for me (even though I'm quite all rounded anyway) but even with that it still took a toll on my mental health, so I would advise going at your own pace, the advice of others will only get you so far.
Reply 6
I got 7A* 4A and 1B (in welsh) for GCSE's. I started revising easter and done approx. 4 hours a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Obviously the earlier the better, but make sure you don't go too hard at the beginning or you will burn yourself out. So if you're thinking of starting in January, start slowly, make sure you understand everything you need to and take your time going through each topic.
Reply 7
Original post by Sh4hid96
I got 7A* 4A and 1B (in welsh) for GCSE's. I started revising easter and done approx. 4 hours a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Obviously the earlier the better, but make sure you don't go too hard at the beginning or you will burn yourself out. So if you're thinking of starting in January, start slowly, make sure you understand everything you need to and take your time going through each topic.

I have been revising previously and I recently just had my mocks. Before the Christmas holidays I used to revise but I had a lot of coursework so I couldn't revise as much. Now seeing that I have finished all my courseworks I think I an cope with this and obviously I have Friday , Saturday and Sunday evenings mostly off allowing me time to do other things. I have heard some people that get 10/11 A*s revise about 4- 5 hours a day - I dont know whether thats true !
Reply 8
jesus christ

it's amazing that you have this level of commitment, but I would argue that you don't want to be super strict about this timetable - you absolutely have to be flexible. to be honest, I'd say january is ridiculously early to start revision for gcses, but if you feel you need four months of revision then you do you, but just be prepared to get bored of looking over the same material for months.

also I would advise you to only do one 45 min revision session in the morning and get the extra 45 mins of sleep - you might just feel exhausted and drained for the rest of the day of school - this won't help you when you're trying to revise later in the day

in terms of how long to revise at a time, my teacher recommended that we do it in 25 minute blocks, with a 5 minute break between blocks - after 25 mins, most people's brains just sort of tune out and get bored and you won't really retain any of the information

good luck! don't overwork yourself please - it really really ISN'T necessary to start intense revision in january. maybe just make good notes or something at this point, then start rigorously going through past papers etc closer to the summer?
Reply 9
Original post by andies
jesus christ

it's amazing that you have this level of commitment, but I would argue that you don't want to be super strict about this timetable - you absolutely have to be flexible. to be honest, I'd say january is ridiculously early to start revision for gcses, but if you feel you need four months of revision then you do you, but just be prepared to get bored of looking over the same material for months.

also I would advise you to only do one 45 min revision session in the morning and get the extra 45 mins of sleep - you might just feel exhausted and drained for the rest of the day of school - this won't help you when you're trying to revise later in the day

in terms of how long to revise at a time, my teacher recommended that we do it in 25 minute blocks, with a 5 minute break between blocks - after 25 mins, most people's brains just sort of tune out and get bored and you won't really retain any of the information

good luck! don't overwork yourself please - it really really ISN'T necessary to start intense revision in january. maybe just make good notes or something at this point, then start rigorously going through past papers etc closer to the summer?

This is just a plan I havent actually started as im thinking about starting next week. I just had my mocks so dont want to start right now But for the GCSEs theres only about 3 months and 10 days left which is not a lot seeing that Year 11 so far went pretty fast
Reply 10
I had 28 exams, and NO STUDY LEAVE.

It was bad
Reply 11
Original post by SGHD26716
I had 28 exams, and NO STUDY LEAVE.

It was bad

Wow I dont know how u coped with it!!
All of them.
Reply 13
It's completely subjective OP. For my mocks I averaged 1 hr revision per subject and came out with 9A* 2A. Obviously some people will need more than that and some might need less(?), it depends on how well you've learnt the information already, and how your results are right now. Only you can judge :wink: May I suggest using your mocks as a basis to find your weak points, and work on those first, followed by doing past papers to test yourself? This makes sure the information is going in properly as it's better to make sure you understand a topic thoroughly than just constantly revising without learning properly - this will also help you to remember it. If you haven't already then I would also recommend getting the CGP revision guides, especially for sciences/maths.

(Btw would not recommend 1hr revision for actual GCSEs, personally I will try to get my act together before then lol)
Reply 14
Wow I dont know how u coped with it!!

We didn't finish our courses for 4 subjects

What really annoys me is that I had done 22 exams in first three weeks and then 6 in next three.
Reply 15
The answer is simply as much as you can physically can put in without resorting to sillyness
Reply 16
Original post by Kaedra
It's completely subjective OP. For my mocks I averaged 1 hr revision per subject and came out with 9A* 2A. Obviously some people will need more than that and some might need less(?), it depends on how well you've learnt the information already, and how your results are right now. Only you can judge :wink: May I suggest using your mocks as a basis to find your weak points, and work on those first, followed by doing past papers to test yourself? This makes sure the information is going in properly as it's better to make sure you understand a topic thoroughly than just constantly revising without learning properly - this will also help you to remember it. If you haven't already then I would also recommend getting the CGP revision guides, especially for sciences/maths.

(Btw would not recommend 1hr revision for actual GCSEs, personally I will try to get my act together before then lol)

I dont know my Mock results yet but my last predictions were 3 A*s 6As 1B 1C - Ok but I think one of those A*s - Art is going to be an A because I my coursework isnt as good as before. I have revision guides for the sciences and I am going to buy one for Geography.
Reply 17
Original post by SGHD26716
We didn't finish our courses for 4 subjects

What really annoys me is that I had done 22 exams in first three weeks and then 6 in next three.

How were your grades?
Reply 18
I dont know my Mock results yet but my last predictions were 3 A*s 6As 1B 1C - Ok but I think one of those A*s - Art is going to be an A because I my coursework isnt as good as before. I have revision guides for the sciences and I am going to buy one for Geography.

If you're really serious about revision, making summary notes from the revision guides - like maybe a one-word bulletpoint that jogs your memory - may be helpful as to be able to compress notes you need to understand the topic. It requires you to think about what to write instead of just copying it out, and the notes are useful for last-minute revision the night before/on the day.

There are several revision technique guides out there as well - maybe search on Amazon for some? I'd imagine that would be more helpful for you :h:
Reply 19
Original post by Kaedra
If you're really serious about revision, making summary notes from the revision guides - like maybe a one-word bulletpoint that jogs your memory - may be helpful as to be able to compress notes you need to understand the topic. It requires you to think about what to write instead of just copying it out, and the notes are useful for last-minute revision the night before/on the day.

There are several revision technique guides out there as well - maybe search on Amazon for some? I'd imagine that would be more helpful for you :h:

I mean there are revision technique guides but who has the money to pay for these!!
I have tried making revision notes from revision guides but I think past papers are the best.

Quick Reply

Latest