The Student Room Group

Why are more and more people going to University if graduate unemployment is high?

Why are more and more people going to university, even though graduate unemployment is very high and student fees have risen? I understand for Medicine, but for pretty much every other degree, such as Psychology, Philosophy History etc. When there just are barely any jobs for the graduates
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

imo people are brainwashed into thinking that if they don't get a degree, then you wont ever get a good job. At my school and sixform at least we were only ever told about the opportunities at university not other alternatives like college courses, apprenticeships or going straight into work, in fact these were discouraged. Also they are constantly told that the student loan debt doesnt matter as its not even a proper loan (I disagree tbh).

For me, I went to university because I want at least a taste of physics research (want to do a phd) which requires a physics degree. While I am well aware that after the phd, chances are I wont get any further in academic research, I would hope to go into industry research in some form.

I think it just depends on who you are around too that influences what you think are options. example had I not wanted to go to uni to do physics then I would of done a engineering apprenticeship as my family made me aware of this option and I looked into it alot before making a more informed decision on what path to take. However I have a friend that was told that university was the only path and that any other path is only for dumb people (I totally disagree) but I guess if thats all he has been told then its all he knows. but he also thinks if you dont do science/engineering at a russel group then you dont have a worthwhile degree (hes quite snobby tbh)
(edited 8 years ago)
To pass the time since they can't get a job

Posted from TSR Mobile
The thought of moving out
"Experience"of university
Not knowing what they want to do in the future, thus buying time
Because that's what everyone else is doing.
I want the easy money, that's why.
A lot of people are going to university to do higher level qualifications, that provide no real benefit in the real world. For example, Chemical Engineering, Mathematics, Medicine etc are excellent courses, providing real financial benefit in the long-term. These peoples skills are in demand and are highly valued. On the other hand, some people, no disrespect intended, believe going to any Univeristy to study any course will benefit them in the long run. For example, Golf Clubs do not employ people to maintain there golf course with a degree in Golf Course Management. A degree is not essential for this profession and hence there truly is no point in doing it. The type of degree itself, the mark you obtain and the prestige of the University are vital to being financially beneficial in the future. Just going to any University, to study any course, for the sake of going to university will not distinguish you in the Job Market.
Original post by Honey126
Why are more and more people going to university, even though graduate unemployment is very high and student fees have risen? I understand for Medicine, but for pretty much every other degree, such as Psychology, Philosophy History etc. When there just are barely any jobs for the graduates

What are you on about?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/432873/BIS-15-304_graduate_labour_market_statistics-January_to_March_2015.pdf
Reply 7
Original post by callum_law
I want the easy money, that's why.

Earning a mediocre salary and slaving away all day to make someone else's dreams come true is easy money?

I think the first set of statistics is a bit sly. It says 86.7% are employed but that is in any job. The actual figure you want to look at is the 57.3% as that is the one which will be more graduate level roles and above. So the figures people should pay attention to is that 57.3% of the 86.7% of graduates employed are in the graduate or higher level position, which is actually quite low tbh

And dont forget people doing medicine, nursing, dentistry will have a near 100% employment rate in their field so that figure should be taken as a upper bound estimate imo as most graduates wont be doing those subjects
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Honey126

1) Medicine isn't even close to best for graduate prospects
2) History, Psychology and Philosophy aren't close to the worst
3) Only people with low degree classifications don't get jobs. You're putting the blame on the universities, when it's evidently on the individuals.

Therefore people believe the university and their "reputation" will get them a job, thanks to people as deluded as you, where in reality it's 99% down to the individual. Graduate prospects are absolutely outstanding for hard working people
Original post by Mathematicus65
A lot of people are going to university to do higher level qualifications, that provide no real benefit in the real world. For example, Chemical Engineering, Mathematics, Medicine etc are excellent courses, providing real financial benefit in the long-term. These peoples skills are in demand and are highly valued. On the other hand, some people, no disrespect intended, believe going to any Univeristy to study any course will benefit them in the long run. For example, Golf Clubs do not employ people to maintain there golf course with a degree in Golf Course Management. A degree is not essential for this profession and hence there truly is no point in doing it. The type of degree itself, the mark you obtain and the prestige of the University are vital to being financially beneficial in the future. Just going to any University, to study any course, for the sake of going to university will not distinguish you in the Job Market.

There are a few degrees, like Engineering and Medicine, that do sometimes lead to financial success, but the reality is nowadays most degrees will either lead to a mediocre salary / job or unemployment. There are just too many graduates and not enough jobs nowadaysThe most successful of our generation will be the innovative ones who are intelligent in terms of technology, which is why it's a shame schools don't teach innovation but instead stick to a rigid cirriculum
Original post by ComputerMaths97
1) Medicine isn't even close to best for graduate prospects
2) History, Psychology and Philosophy aren't close to the worst
3) Only people with low degree classifications don't get jobs. You're putting the blame on the universities, when it's evidently on the individuals.

Therefore people believe the university and their "reputation" will get them a job, thanks to people as deluded as you, where in reality it's 99% down to the individual. Graduate prospects are absolutely outstanding for hard working people

Isn't employment straight from med school to foundation year training like 99% though (I may be wrong though)? I'd say that was pretty amazing tbh
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by madmadmax321
Isn't employment straight from med school to foundation year training like 99% though? I'd say that was pretty amazing tbh

I said prospects not employment rates. On stupidly long hours and crappy pay, yeah, "pretty amazing"
I said prospects not employment rates. On stupidly long hours and crappy pay, yeah, "pretty amazing"

Well in the later stages of their career most doctors earn 60-100k so I'd say they were pretty good prospects that most positions couldnt boast getting

I'm interested to see what degrees/jobs give you better prospects then?
Well in the later stages of their career most doctors earn 60-100k so I'd say they were pretty good prospects that most positions couldnt boast getting

I'm interested to see what degrees/jobs give you better prospects then?

Firstly no they don't secondly you ignore the stupid long hours. Obviously if someone does not value time then medicine is up there. The shift at the moment is moving from medicine to engineering / technology, but I thought that was pretty obvious.
Youth unemployment is far higher than unemployment for young graduates. The rise in fees doesn't matter too much. If you don't go on to earn much after your degree, like many doing crappy degrees at crappy universities, then you can expect the tax payer to pick up the tab.
I think the first set of statistics is a bit sly. It says 86.7% are employed but that is in any job. The actual figure you want to look at is the 57.3% as that is the one which will be more graduate level roles and above. So the figures people should pay attention to is that 57.3% of the 86.7% of graduates employed are in the graduate or higher level position, which is actually quite low tbh

And dont forget people doing medicine, nursing, dentistry will have a near 100% employment rate in their field so that figure should be taken as a upper bound estimate imo as most graduates wont be doing those subjects

I'd say the key pieces of information are the chart showing employment rates over time (with very little movement and a 20% difference between graduates and non-graduates) and this
"Overall, graduates benefit from a significant earnings premium over non-graduates,although recently the earnings gap between non-graduate and graduates in theworking age population has narrowed. Graduate earnings have decreased fromaround 55% to 45% higher than non-graduate earnings between 2006 and 2015." oh no - graduates only earn 45% more than non-graduates! Better close down those "mickey mouse" universities :rolleyes:

There's no evidence of mass unemployment of graduates when compared to non-graduates. The picture has shown very little change even with the recession. And even WITH the recession people with degrees were less likely to be out of work and more likely to earn more.
1) Therefore people believe the university and their "reputation" will get them a job, thanks to people as deluded as you, where in reality it's 99% down to the individual. Graduate prospects are absolutely outstanding for hard working people

So you are implying that a Oxbridge graduate and a DMU graduate have the same chance of getting graduate employment? Please do continue to prove such a stupid point.
Firstly no they don't secondly you ignore the stupid long hours. Obviously if someone does not value time then medicine is up there. The shift at the moment is moving from medicine to engineering / technology, but I thought that was pretty obvious.

Well they do and every job with high pay has some drawbacks like long hours :/

Engineers don't earn as much as people think, yes while there are those high paying jobs people mention, they are few and far between and have other sacrifices such as job security, and the other more common engineering positions are certainly not as high paying as people on tsr seem to think. While engineering graduates can start on above average pay, this is not a very good indicator of future salary.

Technology? that is way to broad of a job market to even consider the pay people receive there
The fact that 86.8% of "young" (i.e 21-30 yr old) graduates are employed is irrelevant. People would want to know what their prospects would be immediately after graduation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending