The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

NEW- Ask a current University of Southampton Student!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, Ive firmed Modern History and Politics and my first choices for accommodation are Wessex Lane and Glenn Eyre. I wasnt able to go on the open day so does anyone know how far the accommodations are from the lectures? Thankyou so much!!!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by c316
Thank you so much! Gracias! I have finally chosen Glen Eyre as my first option as I think it will be more social than Highfield and they are close to campus. Do you know when do we get news about the room offer?

You'll be given your offer after results day and must accept it within 7 days of the offer being made otherwise it gets given to someone else :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by Bewardy98
Thank you! Is is mostly taught in lectures or seminars? Also how many contact hours do you have per week? 😊

You're welcome :-) The language modules are all seminars- only your optional modules (which are usually content modules) will be taught via lectures & seminars- usually a lecture and a seminar a week per optional module.

As for contact hours, I'm on around 12 a week!!
Reply 63
Original post by Conserve1000
Hi, Ive firmed Modern History and Politics and my first choices for accommodation are Wessex Lane and Glenn Eyre. I wasnt able to go on the open day so does anyone know how far the accommodations are from the lectures? Thankyou so much!!!

Wessex Lane is an 8 minute bus ride from Highfield campus + 10 minute walk to Avenue campus. Boldrewood is about a 5-6 minute walk from Highfield Campus, and the NOC is probably a 35-40 minute bus ride.

Glen Eyre is a 5 minute bus/ 10 minute walk from campus or 15 minutes to Avenue Campus via Lovers Lane :smile: Boldrewood is a 15 minute walk and NOC is 25-30 minutes from Highfield interchange.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Don't let the bus journey from Wessex put you off- it's so quick and the buses are so frequent! Plus it's on the post-Oceana bus route at 3am which is REALLY convenient :wink:
Hi, I've firmed Southampton for medicine so I was just wondering if you would recommend any particular accommodation for med students? Thanks in advance! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jordan_s
Hi everyone!

With everyone now getting replies and firming/ insuring their university choices, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a thread like this to answer any questions you may have about Southampton Uni! You can ask any question, from campus, halls, to nightlife!

See you freshers in September!

Hi, I've firmed Southampton university. I've decided to apply for Wessex lane in terms of accommodation and just wondering if it was a good idea?! Plus, is there any jobs that students could do on main campus just to help out with any extra funding??
Reply 66
Original post by marybeth97
Hi, I've firmed Southampton for medicine so I was just wondering if you would recommend any particular accommodation for med students? Thanks in advance! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Medicine, I'd say the best halls are probably Wessex Lane (LOADS of medics live here), Glen Eyre, Liberty Point, and perhaps Mayflower- I only say these ones because they are on/ are close proximity to the U6H bus route!!! :biggrin:
Reply 67
Original post by pysch-student97
Hi, I've firmed Southampton university. I've decided to apply for Wessex lane in terms of accommodation and just wondering if it was a good idea?! Plus, is there any jobs that students could do on main campus just to help out with any extra funding??

Awesome choice!! :wink:

Wessex Lane is an obviously brilliant idea, the social vibe here is awesome and there are loads of people around so no shortage of people to talk to!! We're also on the regular bus route which takes you straight to uni (bus every 7 minutes in the mornings) and 3 bus routes come back here, so it's easy to get home via bus, even if we are around a 20 minute walk to uni.

In terms of jobs, there are vacancies all the time in WestQuay (the massive shopping centre in town), but also the Union advertises every year for part time workers to man the bars, restaurants, receptions etc. They work around you timetable and fit you in for shifts whenever you like!

Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by jordan_s
Awesome choice!! :wink:

Wessex Lane is an obviously brilliant idea, the social vibe here is awesome and there are loads of people around so no shortage of people to talk to!! We're also on the regular bus route which takes you straight to uni (bus every 7 minutes in the mornings) and 3 bus routes come back here, so it's easy to get home via bus, even if we are around a 20 minute walk to uni.

In terms of jobs, there are vacancies all the time in WestQuay (the massive shopping centre in town), but also the Union advertises every year for part time workers to man the bars, restaurants, receptions etc. They work around you timetable and fit you in for shifts whenever you like!

Hope this helps! :smile:

Thank you!!:smile::smile:
Reply 69
Hi,
I just firmed Southampton and was wondering how diverse the uni is? Are there any societies such as ACS and how are they? :smile:
Original post by acre2016
Hi,
I just firmed Southampton and was wondering how diverse the uni is? Are there any societies such as ACS and how are they? :smile:

It is really diverse. We get a lot of international students, actually. If by ACS, you mean an Afro-Caribbean Society, then yes, we do have one. Can't tell you much about what it's like, though. Here's all the societies:

https://www.susu.org/activities/
Original post by marybeth97

My personal opinion would be Glen Eyre, as it's the closest to Highfield Campus, which is where some lectures and all the buses are. But if you're not too worried about the cost of rent, I would recommend Mayflower like Jordan says. They have a gym downstairs, it's really close to city centre, it's all new and you can get direct buses to hospital and campus right in front of the entrance.
Reply 72
Is there anyone here who is doing a chemistry degree at Southampton that I could ask a few questions about the course? I'm specifically interested in the chemistry with maths course, but even just knowing a bit more about either subject would be helpful. Thank you :smile:
How big are the business school postgrad classes?
Hi!
I'm starting History at Southampton this year and I can't wait!! It's only a few weeks away but I haven't received any kind of welcome pack with much info unlike a lot of other people I know, is this normal for Southampton? Although I have completed all of the tasks on the welcome email like enrolling etc.
Also I will be staying in Glen Eyre, my first choice 😄 Any tips for first time budgeting in halls? Or do you have any tips for moving in day?

Thanks so much, this is a really helpful thread!! 😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending