The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

External Accommodation

Hi,

I'm hoping to firm Surrey soon, but one thing that has suddenly been brought to my attention is how pricey the area is.

The uni accommodation itself is perfectly cheap and I've worked out a reasonable budget, but apparently renting a house for second and third year will be ridiculously expensive.

Can anyone currently attending Surrey tell me how expensive the area is, and how much rent do you currently pay?

(I might be overestimating it as my sister went to UEA and everything is so cheap up there, her rent was £100 a month so this might just be a poor comparison for me)
Reply 1
Original post by supernerdural
Hi,

I'm hoping to firm Surrey soon, but one thing that has suddenly been brought to my attention is how pricey the area is.

The uni accommodation itself is perfectly cheap and I've worked out a reasonable budget, but apparently renting a house for second and third year will be ridiculously expensive.

Can anyone currently attending Surrey tell me how expensive the area is, and how much rent do you currently pay?

(I might be overestimating it as my sister went to UEA and everything is so cheap up there, her rent was £100 a month so this might just be a poor comparison for me)

Hey, I lived in a house in Guildford last year, so thought I may be able to help.

To start off, how much you will pay can vary a lot. How far away you are from the University and Town can make a difference, but also the size of the house and who you are renting from can affect the cost. My house was about a 5-10 minute walk from the university and cost £1700 a month. This was a 4 bed house, so that cost was split between us. However, we let one girl pay a lower amount due to her having the smallest bedroom. Note, this cost did not include any bills!

In contrast, one of my friends lived just round the corner from me in a similar house, but with all bills included ( I think hers was around £1600 per month including bills).

My friend was renting from a private landlord, whereas we rented from a company, so it does pay to do your research, and not assume agencies are the best.

Hope that doesn't worry you too much, but just to let you know the £100 a month you mentioned is incredibly low - I've not heard of many areas having such cheap rent. You are more likely looking at £100 per week.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending