The Student Room Group

messed up and trying to get work

I know this sounds stupid but when filling in a job application the reference section really annoys me, I can never find people. I am applying for a NHS job and it asks for the full address of 2 references but here is the problem, my last employment I was sacked from (I couldn't help it they said I was too slow) and I have just been withdrawn from college by the teacher as I didn't attend much, has a lot to do with the distance and anxiety but thats not the issue. So im wondering what to do, I did do voluntary work at the place I want to apply to for a few months but over a year ago I felt like I was in the way so they probably won't remember me. Im just scared of asking people as no one thinks much of me lol through my own fault but what do other people in my situation do? Who would they get references from?
Reply 1
A tricky situation. I would get a reference from my work experience, even if it was voluntary. Other than that, theres nothing you can do except hope for the best. Good luck.
alio~
my last employment I was sacked from ... and I have just been withdrawn from college by the teacher as I didn't attend much

I am not sure how to tell you this..
But the reason they ask for references is to filter out people like you. :eek:

The NHS has enough problems already.
Reply 3
alio~
I know this sounds stupid but when filling in a job application the reference section really annoys me, I can never find people. I am applying for a NHS job and it asks for the full address of 2 references but here is the problem, my last employment I was sacked from (I couldn't help it they said I was too slow)

For most applications that i have filled out, there is an option (yes/no) if you want your previous employer contacted or not, does it say that on yours? If it does you only need to find one other person: work load is cut in half! :wink:

The only thing you can do is just put down the best two references you can find and emphasize that you have worked for them before (voluntarily too!), this is a huge advantage over others that are applying. Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 4
fundamentally
I am not sure how to tell you this..
But the reason they ask for references is to filter out people like you. :eek:

The NHS has enough problems already.

Im not like this on purpose its just my brain is weird I start panicking lol but I suppose the negative behaviour and result is the same thats probabably all that matters. Its just people like this get a bad reputation if they don't work and a bad reputation if they do work can't win lol.
Reply 5
abshirf2
For most applications that i have filled out, there is an option (yes/no) if you want your previous employer contacted or not, does it say that on yours? If it does you only need to find one other person: work load is cut in half! :wink:

The only thing you can do is just put down the best two references you can find and emphasize that you have worked for them before (voluntarily too!), this is a huge advantage over others that are applying. Good Luck! :smile:

Your right thats all I can do, I can't see an option like that but thanks for the tips.
Reply 6
fundamentally
the reason they ask for references is to filter out people like you. The NHS has enough problems already.

That is bare harsh.
Reply 7
Were there any teachers you got on especially with?

I've heard of stories where pupils were very passionate in certain subjects (like Art, Music, DT etc) but didn't care/have the aptitude for the more academic subjects so the college asked them to leave (read: booted them) so they wouldn't mess up their '5 A*-C GCSE passes' statistics. They usually got on very well with their teachers for the subject they liked and it was those teachers that they used to vouch for them to get into another school/college.

Other candidates other than your favourite subject teachers could be your Commanding Officer/Squadron Leader if you had a CCF or the Chaplain, school counsellor etc.

Just because your college as a whole won't support you doesn't mean teachers who know you individually won't. :smile:

fais
Reply 8
Mke you resume look great, and include a section about refernces. Anyone you can think of that might be a positive reference, ask them before you list them. This might help your search.
http://www.cvtips.com/reference_letter_of.html

Latest

Trending

Trending