The Student Room Group

A-Level Options

Ok, so I'm currently in year 11 and finishing my GCSEs. I am currently studying business, music, geography, french and, of course, maths, English lit/lang and additional science. I want to get a career in the banking industry and I want to start off being a cashier in a bank. I want to study Maths a-level, business. I don't know what to do for my other 2 choices.

I was thinking of maybe doing philosophy, psychology, English lit or lang but still I don't really know.

Anyone help me?
English Lit is regarded as better (facilitating), but at the end of the day take the subjects you like best. You may change your mind and then at least you can study something you want to do, as you have your favourite subjects as a levels. Hope this helps, :smile:
Original post by 1998RF
English Lit is regarded as better (facilitating), but at the end of the day take the subjects you like best. You may change your mind and then at least you can study something you want to do, as you have your favourite subjects as a levels. Hope this helps, :smile:

Actually those subjects are all considered facilitating, even by Cambridge. Although they do count English language and psychology as being of "more limited suitability" and therefore below philosophy and English lit.

See: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/a-level-combinations
Original post by Platopus
Actually those subjects are all considered facilitating, even by Cambridge. Although they do count English language and psychology as being of "more limited suitability" and therefore below philosophy and English lit.

See: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/a-level-combinations

Oh okay, thank-you! Our school clearly lied :smile:
Original post by SuperWoman_
Ok, so I'm currently in year 11 and finishing my GCSEs. I am currently studying business, music, geography, french and, of course, maths, English lit/lang and additional science. I want to get a career in the banking industry and I want to start off being a cashier in a bank. I want to study Maths a-level, business. I don't know what to do for my other 2 choices.

I was thinking of maybe doing philosophy, psychology, English lit or lang but still I don't really know.

Anyone help me?

Languages are highly regarded so if you enjoy French and are good at it, then it would be advisable to take that. Eng lit is good to show unis a varied skill set, more respected than English lang.
Reply 5
Original post by aieshacaitlin
Languages are highly regarded so if you enjoy French and are good at it, then it would be advisable to take that. Eng lit is good to show unis a varied skill set, more respected than English lang.

Lol well I actually don't like French at the moment I've been finding it so boring recently :/ ok so English lit is more respected than English lang... so I'm still thinking of sticking to maths and business and I have ended up on deciding to do English lit but I'm still stuck on the philosophy and psychology? what do u think????
Original post by SuperWoman_
Lol well I actually don't like French at the moment I've been finding it so boring recently :/ ok so English lit is more respected than English lang... so I'm still thinking of sticking to maths and business and I have ended up on deciding to do English lit but I'm still stuck on the philosophy and psychology? what do u think????

Personally, I have been told to avoid psychology as it isn't highly regarded, and the only reason I wanted to do it was because it sounds interesting. Unless you want to be a psychologist or do it at uni, then it isn't advisable to take it. Philosophy is not facilitating but more respected than psychology. Maths definitely! Business is good. Eng lit is v good to do I've been told. I'd say philosophy but it's up to you! Good luck! Message me if you need any more help! X📚📖
Psychology and philosophy are more regarded than business studies. If you like business you may like economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would maybe recommend economics instead of business if they offer it.
Reply 9
Original post by aieshacaitlin
Personally, I have been told to avoid psychology as it isn't highly regarded, and the only reason I wanted to do it was because it sounds interesting. Unless you want to be a psychologist or do it at uni, then it isn't advisable to take it. Philosophy is not facilitating but more respected than psychology. Maths definitely! Business is good. Eng lit is v good to do I've been told. I'd say philosophy but it's up to you! Good luck! Message me if you need any more help! X📚📖

thanks alot. I've got my sixth form taster day at school and because of the pathway my school recommended me coz of my expected grades I went with; business btec level 3, creative media level 3, economics and philosophy. I know creative media is not the best to choose but it is only for an hour at school on Wednesday... and i wasn't able to pick Maths for taster day coz the grade for the entry requirement is an A and I'm only a C at the moment
Original post by Kholmes1
I would maybe recommend economics instead of business if they offer it.

Yp they do. I'm planning on picking that instead so thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest