The Student Room Group

Returning student - October 2016

Hi there

I am a second year student, i just found out about the changes for the next year about the student loans, i want to know if the will affect? If so how? & i also read an article that some students may not be entitled to maintenance loan from 2016, so i mean i have been classified as a "home student" at the beggining of my first year, does that mean i will not recieve the maintenance loan or only overseas students are not going to get it ? And what is really meant by "home student"?

Thanks for your help.
Reply 1
Original post by Manny678
Hi there

I am a second year student, i just found out about the changes for the next year about the student loans, i want to know if the will affect? If so how?

Only new starters from Sep 2016 will be affected by the changes. You will keep whatever SF entitlement you started out with.

i also read an article that some students may not be entitled to maintenance loan from 2016,

The basic entitlement to SF shouldn't change. If you can provide a link to the article, we can see what you mean.

so i mean i have been classified as a "home student" at the beggining of my first year, does that mean i will not recieve the maintenance loan

If you were a Home student when you began, you'll remain a Home student for the rest of your course. Your entitlement won't change.

or only overseas students are not going to get it ?

Overseas students have never been able to get the Maintenance Loan. EU students can get the Tuition Fee Loan but they don't get help with living costs. Students from outside the EU get nothing from SF.

And what is really meant by "home student"?

Someone who has been ordinarily resident in the UK for three full years before the start date of their course.
Reply 2
Thank you
That was really helpful !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending