The Student Room Group

Secondary MFL pgce interview at UCL - I'm stuck!

Hello everyone,

I've just received an invitation to interview at UCL and I'm really anxious about the presentation part.
Has anyone here had an interview at UCL? How did it go?

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Um, be yourself. That's the best that you can do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks! I am planning to :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Evita_Peron
I am just really stuck and cannot think of a visual aid/prop to use that would be very interactive and lively.
Any ideas?

E-mail UCL and ask which sort of visual aids and props might be appropriate.
Don't tell them that your user name on the Student Room is Evita Peron.
Reply 6
Thank you for taking your time to make this comment, really helpful...
Reply 7
I hope you are a successful candidate. I am still waiting for their response. o.o

Reply 8
Original post by SSUCL
I hope you are a successful candidate. I am still waiting for their response. o.o

Thank you! When did you have your interview?
Thank you for taking your time to make this comment, really helpful...

Well, half joke, half serious. My boyfriend is Argentinian and I know that it is really controversial to say you like Evita Peron in Argentina, so it's pretty relevant to a MFL PGCE interview. It's not like the film/musical Evita...

Anyway, with regards to the interview, I had it last week. Good luck!

It's pretty easy and laid back, don't stress about the prop it can be anything, from a ball to a powerpoint and it only takes 2-3 minutes. Most people didn't put much time or thought into it. There is also a short test and an individual interview, where you will be asked questions in your target language.

As others have said, just be yourself.
Original post by lizfairy
Well, half joke, half serious. My boyfriend is Argentinian and I know that it is really controversial to say you like Evita Peron in Argentina, so it's pretty relevant to a MFL PGCE interview. It's not like the film/musical Evita...

Anyway, with regards to the interview, I had it last week. Good luck!

It's pretty easy and laid back, don't stress about the prop it can be anything, from a ball to a powerpoint and it only takes 2-3 minutes. Most people didn't put much time or thought into it. There is also a short test and an individual interview, where you will be asked questions in your target language.

As others have said, just be yourself.

I don't mind being controversial :wink: I would happily defend my reason as to why I like Evita Perón but maybe next time as I'm still preparing for my interview :ashamed:
Thank you for your reply, it's really helpful. How long did you wait for their decision?
I don't mind being controversial :wink: I would happily defend my reason as to why I like Evita Perón but maybe next time as I'm still preparing for my interview :ashamed:
Thank you for your reply, it's really helpful. How long did you wait for their decision?

Still waiting. Feeling optimistic though, hope that's founded optimism...

I had my interview on Thursday. I emailed the admissions office who said my application is currently being processed so I should hear back in the next couple of working days...

Which languages do you want to teach?
Phew, got an offer.
Phew, got an offer.

Hey, I have my interview with them too and I was wondering if you can give me an advise on the questions asked and an idea of any tests taken...Also were you asked to do a presentation on a powerful learning experience...
Thank you xx
Phew, got an offer.

That's great, congrats! They made you wait, didn't they!
I want to teach French and Spanish, you?
That's great, congrats! They made you wait, didn't they!
I want to teach French and Spanish, you?

Italian and French, but they also want me to teach Spanish so I'll be doing a fully-funded 2 month Spanish enhancement course in June-July (provided I pass the numeracy skills test :s-smilie: )

Thanks. Relieved! Do you live in London?
Sounds great. I've already passed the skills test; the numeracy one was tough, mainly because of the time limit on the arithmetic questions. Literacy was super easy.

Yup, I live in London. You?
Sounds great. I've already passed the skills test; the numeracy one was tough, mainly because of the time limit on the arithmetic questions. Literacy was super easy.

Yup, I live in London. You?

I have them in late February. Dressing the numeracy one.

I also live in London. Let me know if you want to grab coffee sometime before the course (already guessing you'll get it, you seem super prepared!)
To be honest with you, I may get rejected. I didn't do well in my presentation, was quite nervous, and I don't think I wowed them during the interview. I'm quite worried as I really have my heart set on UCL. If I do get in, I'll definitely let you know ;-)

As for the numeracy test, there's A LOT of proportion, decimals and fractions. And graphs, also.
To be honest with you, I may get rejected. I didn't do well in my presentation, was quite nervous, and I don't think I wowed them during the interview. I'm quite worried as I really have my heart set on UCL. If I do get in, I'll definitely let you know ;-)

As for the numeracy test, there's A LOT of proportion, decimals and fractions. And graphs, also.

Have you graduated already? If not, what are you predicted?

They are quite desperate for Spanish teachers and I highly doubt you realllllly messed up badly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending