The Student Room Group

Sight impairment and applying to uni

Hi everyone,

sorry to come into a conversation like this, but I need some help. I am partially sighted with a disease called Retinitis Pigmentosa which means I am loosing my peripheral vision. I am looking to apply to an interior design course at Coventry Uni, but I'm scared that perhaps the course may discriminate me because of my impairment. I can do what everybody else can do and i'm currently studying art and design and getting good grades so it's not like i'm not doing well any way. Will a Uni turn me down because of this or will they be able to provide me with support as I go through the course?
Original post by Katie Wright
Hi everyone,

sorry to come into a conversation like this, but I need some help. I am partially sighted with a disease called Retinitis Pigmentosa which means I am loosing my peripheral vision. I am looking to apply to an interior design course at Coventry Uni, but I'm scared that perhaps the course may discriminate me because of my impairment. I can do what everybody else can do and i'm currently studying art and design and getting good grades so it's not like i'm not doing well any way. Will a Uni turn me down because of this or will they be able to provide me with support as I go through the course?

Hello, I've moved your post to a new thread of its own. A uni can't reject you on the basis of your disability. From experience, they will do whatever they can to help you. As someone with a disability, you're able to apply for disabled students allowance. (DSA) This will come in the form of equipment, exam adjustments and non-medical helpers to put you on a level playing field with other students.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Hello, I've moved your post to a new thread of its own. A uni can't reject you on the basis of your disability. From experience, they will do whatever they can to help you. As someone with a disability, you're able to apply for disabled students allowance. (DSA) This will come in the form of equipment, exam adjustments and non-medical helpers to put you on a level playing field with other students.

Thank you so much for your comment, is DSA something I would apply for when sorting out my student finance? Also you mentioned they would help with equipment, as I would be doing quite a practical course, would this cover things such as sketchbooks, pencils etc.
Thank you so much for your comment, is DSA something I would apply for when sorting out my student finance? Also you mentioned they would help with equipment, as I would be doing quite a practical course, would this cover things such as sketchbooks, pencils etc.

You apply for DSA when you apply for student finance. DSA only covers the extra costs you have as a disabled student and not the costs a non-disabled student has, or you have as a disabled person.
Reply 4
You apply for DSA when you apply for student finance. DSA only covers the extra costs you have as a disabled student and not the costs a non-disabled student has, or you have as a disabled person.

Okay that makes sense, I will definitely look into it. Also at my interview with the University. Will they ask about my visual impairment?
Reply 5
Hi,

I study Fine Art at the Slade School of Fine Art, UCL also with sight problems causing my peripheral to decrease and can't focus my eyes. So I feel you, my uni have been amazing for it and uni's can't discriminate. I found that they were more intrigued especially coming from a creative background. Work it to your advantage!

Good luck

Lucia
I also have a sight impairment; but did an IT course instead. (I started losing my colour vision at 15, plus have other problems with my vision) I actually found they did all they could to help me. I sometimes found there were a few issues. But it was just a case of "this isn't working and this works better for me". I was finding that was I having to teach them a lot, which is absolutely fine. If I needed to, I could just email my lecturers and tell them what I needed and it would be done. It was that simple. For me, it was mostly small things.

I never had an interview for my course; so I wouldn't know whether they'll ask about things like that.
Reply 7
Original post by L.F1
Hi,

I study Fine Art at the Slade School of Fine Art, UCL also with sight problems causing my peripheral to decrease and can't focus my eyes. So I feel you, my uni have been amazing for it and uni's can't discriminate. I found that they were more intrigued especially coming from a creative background. Work it to your advantage!

Good luck

Lucia

You hoestly have no idea how much that relives my anxietys! Do you find the course challenging?
Reply 8
I also have a sight impairment; but did an IT course instead. (I started losing my colour vision at 15, plus have other problems with my vision) I actually found they did all they could to help me. I sometimes found there were a few issues. But it was just a case of "this isn't working and this works better for me". I was finding that was I having to teach them a lot, which is absolutely fine. If I needed to, I could just email my lecturers and tell them what I needed and it would be done. It was that simple. For me, it was mostly small things.

I never had an interview for my course; so I wouldn't know whether they'll ask about things like that.

That's good to know, thank you for your help!
Reply 9
You hoestly have no idea how much that relives my anxietys! Do you find the course challenging?

Not really, in terms of work we don't work by briefs so I literally practice my own practice everyday.

In terms of lectures I get them sent to me before hand so I can read over notes. They really will tailor the course to your needs at least that is what I found. (They even changed all the lights in the basement for me.)

I also did a foundation and lived with some friends who also got into the slade so I have people around me who understand. I've only had one disaster where I didn't see a piece of art and went flying flat on my face - we just laughed it off...

Honestly don't worry about it, I completely understand the curse of poor sight but it is what you make of it.

DSA help loads too but start the process now! They've provided me with 'zoom' and other programs to help you along.

Take care

P.s) I wrote this without my glasses so there is probably a lot of typos - sorry!
Original post by L.F1
In terms of lectures I get them sent to me before hand so I can read over notes. They really will tailor the course to your needs at least that is what I found.

I found this too. I think I had to ask one or lecturers for this. But it was just "can you please email me the slides" and that was it. I was also able to record my lectures too. (there are some cases where you can't - this doesn't apply in yours or the OPs case)
Original post by L.F1
Not really, in terms of work we don't work by briefs so I literally practice my own practice everyday.

In terms of lectures I get them sent to me before hand so I can read over notes. They really will tailor the course to your needs at least that is what I found. (They even changed all the lights in the basement for me.)

I also did a foundation and lived with some friends who also got into the slade so I have people around me who understand. I've only had one disaster where I didn't see a piece of art and went flying flat on my face - we just laughed it off...

Honestly don't worry about it, I completely understand the curse of poor sight but it is what you make of it.

DSA help loads too but start the process now! They've provided me with 'zoom' and other programs to help you along.

Take care

P.s) I wrote this without my glasses so there is probably a lot of typos - sorry!

That's great to hear and thank you for all your help and no I could understand you fine no worries!!
Reply 12
Another visually impaired art student here!

DSA has been invaluable - at the time I was on a Photography course and they provided me with an appropriate laptop and software so I could set everything up to see it. I also have a printing and book allowance, also invaluable.

I wasn't asked about my sight during the application process, and at times it has been a bit of an uphill struggle getting lecture slides and so on. But it does happen, and studio tutors have been really lovely. I've found a way to do pretty much everything everyone else does, and unlike school no one has been rude/awful about it :tongue:

So it is definitely possible! :biggrin:
Original post by L.F1
Hi,

Good luck

Lucia

So happy to say that I have been offered a place for Cov Uni! To study interior design !! Thanks everyone who helped!!
So happy to say that I have been offered a place for Cov Uni! To study interior design !! Thanks everyone who helped!!

congratulations!

Quick Reply

Latest