The Student Room Group

Work Experience - Pharmacy

Hi,
I'm in year 12 thinking of doing pharmacy at uni and I was wondering how much work experience I would need to be able to get interviews from good universities and where I would need to do my work experience and another separate question is also whether or not you can do work experience with family members?
Thanks
Original post by mathsaddict1234
Hi,
I'm in year 12 thinking of doing pharmacy at uni and I was wondering how much work experience I would need to be able to get interviews from good universities and where I would need to do my work experience and another separate question is also whether or not you can do work experience with family members?
Thanks

I would try going to pharmacy's and asking them, as I know some offer the chance for work experience. I think you need a little, but not much but I'm not really sure. Your best bet would be to look at uni websites.

I think work experience with family members would be fine :smile:
Original post by cookiemonster15
I would try going to pharmacy's and asking them, as I know some offer the chance for work experience. I think you need a little, but not much but I'm not really sure. Your best bet would be to look at uni websites.

I think work experience with family members would be fine :smile:

Thank you very much, do you know how I could find out how much work experience I need?
Original post by mathsaddict1234
Thank you very much, do you know how I could find out how much work experience I need?

The thing about WE is that you can never do too much!b So if in doubt, just do as many as you want to :smile:
I didn't have any experience in a pharmacy and got 5 offers (two RG). Just do something you can link to showing empathy with people and show you fully understand what the course involves in your personal statement/ interview.
If you can get work experience, try asking small, independent pharmacies near you. Online courses also help massively to pad out your personal statement!
Reply 5
It always helps if you have insight into a career you want to go into, and community pharmacy experience is not hard to attain; try and get as much as you can before applying I'd say. However, I didn't have any work pharmacy experience when I applied through UCAS, yet I got all interviews and offers! I somehow also managed to get a hospital pre-registration place without any pharmacy work experience throughout my 4 years at uni XD - so it's not something that's strictly required, but it obviously helps!

I'd say voluntary work is equally as important when applying for pharmacy. You need to show that you have awareness of wider health issues affecting your community, and that you can demonstrate empathy and good communication. As someone mentioned above, voluntary work can form a large section of your personal statement and also give you concrete experience which you can reflect on in interviews.

Best wishes bud! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending