The Student Room Group

Why not to study biomedical science

I graduated with Bsc biomedical science degree two years ago. I'm still jobless and even though I wrote to various hospitals regarding voluntary work just so I can get experience, I never heard back from any of them. I had sent out these letters via people that knew the heads of departments. So those that say you get to where you want with connections, unfortunately doesn't work in this field. I find it rather disrespectful that a hospital based near Cambridge took on a friend of mine with a BSc degree, at the same time hiring someone with no Alevels and only medical related experience this person had was working at Boots. Where is the sense in employing people with this standard. Or is there any standard at all? Another scenario where a friend has got a masters degree after completion of biomed. He too is now working as an MLA around Birmingham. There is no scope for biomedical scientists. And a waste of your 3 years at uni plus the 2 years A levels.If someone can get an MLA position without a degree or Alevels or relevant work experience then why bother waste 5 years of your life studying when it won't even guarantee to land you a decent job.
What department are you going for?
Eg. Immunology, medical microbiology, etc.

It's easy for the lab manager to miss your email. I recently called a lab manager at one of the NHS labs and she said she received 150+ emails per day.
Better call the lab manager to follow your letter.

actually the BSc biomed degree is just a basic. For example the tutor only go through a specialty in three lectures only, most of which did not have practical sessions accompanied.

The lab sessions I did, were all biochemistry related and shared with BCH students.

Have you tried writing to other hospitals outside your area, eg. Wales, yorkshire......
Original post by Akraj
I graduated with Bsc biomedical science degree two years ago. I'm still jobless and even though I wrote to various hospitals regarding voluntary work just so I can get experience, I never heard back from any of them. I had sent out these letters via people that knew the heads of departments. So those that say you get to where you want with connections, unfortunately doesn't work in this field. I find it rather disrespectful that a hospital based near Cambridge took on a friend of mine with a BSc degree, at the same time hiring someone with no Alevels and only medical related experience this person had was working at Boots. Where is the sense in employing people with this standard. Or is there any standard at all? Another scenario where a friend has got a masters degree after completion of biomed. He too is now working as an MLA around Birmingham. There is no scope for biomedical scientists. And a waste of your 3 years at uni plus the 2 years A levels.If someone can get an MLA position without a degree or Alevels or relevant work experience then why bother waste 5 years of your life studying when it won't even guarantee to land you a decent job.

I'm sorry you're in this situation. It's something that needs to change - that universities propagate the belief, or do nothing to disperse the belief that a Biomed degree will guarantee you a job. Almost every university offers a form of Biomed as a degree, some with or without placement years, some accredited by societies that are not the IBMS, Society of Biology for example and every degree that is not IBMS accredited with the placement year in a pathology lab built in makes it much harder to actually become a biomedical scientist. The market is saturated at the moment, there are no new jobs being made available and there must be thousands of qualified biomed graduates every year looking for about 10 jobs nationwide and most not even in the discipline applicants trained in.
In my lab there are lots of MLAs with BSc degrees of varying forms who are waiting in the wings for either a trainee BMS position or for them to be able to do their registration portfolio while working as an MLA. I also know people who did an MSc in biomedical science thinking that will be enough for them to practise as a biomedical scientist but you NEED the registration portfolio.
Unfortunately, your belief that university guarantees you a decent job is flawed in this world, university doesn't even guarantee you any job any more unless it's Medicine, it's not just Biomed
I think it's better to offer to pay the lab in order to get them to train you.

There is a company called professional business and training solutions. It specializes in training course for BMS grads and offer you the opportunity to complete the IBMS portfolio. I think you should consider if your areas of interest lie within biochemistry or haematology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending