The Student Room Group

Pretty universities worst buildings

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
LJMU have one of the prettiest halls going:

I thought we were talking strictly speaking a uni building, pretty sure that building is privately owned not by the uni.
Original post by PQ

Another maths building :moon:

That's actually disgusting. Why is it mainly the maths departments who get the ugly buildings?

Are engineering buildings ugly too?
PQ
/

The inside is grim though. Aside from the entrance and the grand stairs - the flats are horrible and the views from the rooms at the back are awful (back of Lime St station). So it might look grand on the outide but inside its just like any other cheap student accommodation. Having said that, the front facing views are great (St Georges hall) and an excellent vantage point for public events.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I think almost every uni has the typical, gorgeous old main building and then the horrid, modern, brutalist architecture buildings :puke:

Modern architecture is just disgusting, an eyesore, tacky, cheap, lazy and HORRID. Urgh I hate it so much, second only to my number one hatred: littering!

Bath has a lot of modern buildings and not many old buildings, but it's still pretty nice. I mean yes people go on about the chancellor's building (don't think it's that bad personally) but the rest is good.
Reply 84
Original post by Kallisto
Yeah you said it! This gray building looks so depresive and uninspiring for every single student. I feel really pitty.

Maths building isn't so bad at our uni, but it's mostly underground lol. So there's not much of it on street level. But underground it's quite nice :biggrin:.

Talking about different departments, I always feel like the Computer Science buildings always have the best ones. It's not fair. I mean the ones I've seen are beautiful. I mean it's computer science, literally they can do everything from a computer :frown:. And yet they get the flashiest, nicest buildings. I mean one of my flatmates doesn't even bother going to lectures, because he can just do everything on his laptop and sometimes computer rooms. What a waste :frown:.

I have a theory, think few of these computer scientist graduates strike rich making a million pound dot com company or something like facebook and then donate millions to the uni for their departments. Otherwise I can not figure out why they have the nicest buildings. They're huge too, when computer science is one of the smallest courses.
Original post by SophieSmall
I thought we were talking strictly speaking a uni building, pretty sure that building is privately owned not by the uni.

I remember LJMU buying it when it was derelict and doing it up. They must have sold it off at some point.

So to be fair to them they did rescue a beautiful building from rot.
Original post by PQ
I remember LJMU buying it when it was derelict and doing it up. They must have sold it off at some point.

So to be fair to them they did rescue a beautiful building from rot.

Hmm well then TIL.
Reply 87
Lincoln's Inn fields building at LSE, Econ department is in there.

Then there's the Saw Swee Hock student centre which was nominated for architecture awards but I personally don't like it

And then there's the Peacock Theatre which is a pretty grim 60s kind of building and theyre building something new at the moment, who knows how that will turn out
Reply 88
It's worse in France:

The Sorbonne:

Université Pierre & Marie Curie:

The université looks a giant prison complex:

This is the worst building in Paris. Just imagine how difficult it is to find an office in there.
Original post by Lawliettt
That's actually disgusting. Why is it mainly the maths departments who get the ugly buildings?

Are engineering buildings ugly too?

I know that the Queen Mary engineering building is the least engineered building out of the whole mile end campus...
Original post by Dhillon100
Queen Mary was never winning any awards for the look of its campus but there are a few hidden jems,
Charterhouse Square qmul 1 .jpg
Saint Bartholomew's ,
Peoples palace
Attachment not found

The octagon
Attachment not found

and even the new Blizzard institute
and our Jewish grave yard adding a weird feel to the campus

But then we have these

The grave yard in the centre of campus I've got agree is an interesting thing to find... Aren't they apparently going to build over it when the lease on the graveyard runs out?

The physics building isn't that bad either, quite nice inside and out and situated across the road from a sainsburys local which comes in very useful.
Original post by goldenshades
Omgsh is this real? 😂😂😂

Sadly, yes. The SU (the really awful one) was also designed by the same guy who did the Sydney Opera House. As I've been told, the intention was to have it built then covered in ivy, so that no one would see the original concrete underneath. However, when they actually built it, they used the wrong type of concrete, so that if they were to plant anything, the building would have collapsed.

I can't say that would have been a bad thing...
Reply 92
Bit surprised about the Cardiff bashing from an earlier poster, at sixth form we had our 'uni residential' experience there and I have only fond memories of it!

Uni of Birmingham has many attractive redbrick buildings............and then the Muirhead Tower...........(apparently built the wrong way around by accident so its weaker part is at the mercy of prevailing SW winds!)
Original post by Dez
It's not just the outside though, the inside is crap too. Thanks to the spaceship shape the acoustics in the main hall are utterly terrible, basically making the venue useless for its primary function. And structurally it was poorly built, they had to stop all concerts being played after the Boomtown Rats basically shook the building half apart back in the 80s. And the décor is horrid, I don't think they've reupholstered anything in that building for decades.

The college buildings are pretty shocking too, although given they're just for lectures/sleeping/etc. I don't consider that quite so bad. Central Hall is where you end up graduating, it ought to hold itself to a higher standard.

But damn I think the spaceship looks pretty at night when its lit up for special occasions. (This but with coloured light)

Not going to lie some of Vanbrughs accommodation around the lake needs improving too
Isn't there a prison like 15 mins away from Cardiff Uni
Reply 95
Original post by Laurenafenete
But damn I think the spaceship looks pretty at night when its lit up for special occasions. (This but with coloured light)

Not going to lie some of Vanbrughs accommodation around the lake needs improving too

Dim coloured lights certainly help hide all the bird poo. :holmes:
Original post by jonathanemptage
Cardiff I don't know what the main building is called but the electronics building is horrible in comparison also Southampton's Geography department from the outside isn't great oh an one is reading can't remember what gate you go in by that's pretty bad too a big white single story building with chipping paint which is a shame as it a really nice campus.

Pretty Cardifffff

lol the building you're talking about is Queen's Building. It'll be the building I regularly go to from September also :colonhash:

it's ugly I will admit haha

Original post by Sempiternitas
Welcome to Oxford, where we have the Radcliffe Observatory:

And where we also put students in these:

I do not really think you have the full horror of Oxford. That is tucked away.

This adjoining pair are on one of Oxford's main streets

Ah, Bangor University is great for this.

Ah, a pretty main building - that's always a good sign

Oh, the business school you say? Very nice

Look how happy they are to be in such a nice school

A very nicely kept quadrangle

What could possibly go wro-... oh.

(Trust me, most of the university is hidden behind the nice buildings)
Original post by Rotom
Maths building isn't so bad at our uni, but it's mostly underground lol. So there's not much of it on street level. But underground it's quite nice :biggrin:.

Talking about different departments, I always feel like the Computer Science buildings always have the best ones. It's not fair. I mean the ones I've seen are beautiful. I mean it's computer science, literally they can do everything from a computer :frown:. And yet they get the flashiest, nicest buildings. I mean one of my flatmates doesn't even bother going to lectures, because he can just do everything on his laptop and sometimes computer rooms. What a waste :frown:.

(...)

I can understand you. It is a waste of effort to give students a nice looking university, if this university is not often visited to participitate in lectures. The best looking university does not matter when the students are not coming in.

Quick Reply

Latest