The Student Room Group

C1 Transformations Maths Help

When doing transformations of reciprocal graphs, how do I find out the points where the graphs touch the x/y axis? I know how to transform the graphs, but i get stuck because i dont know where the intercepts are. Im doing the second question in the picture. Thanks in advanceFullSizeRender.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by doglover123
When doing transformations of reciprocal graphs, how do I find out the points where the graphs touch the x/y axis? I know how to transform the graphs, but i get stuck because i dont know where the intercepts are. Im doing the second question in the picture. Thanks in advanceFullSizeRender.jpg

I'm pretty sure the only point where that curve crosses the axis after any of those transformations (excluding a) ofc) is the point (0,0) gets transformed to
Reply 2
Original post by doglover123

x-axis: f(x) is 0 when x = 1 or x = 6.

Now, for example, (c) f(x+4) will be 0 whenever x+4 = 1 or x+4=5

(b) will be whenever f(x) - 4 = 0 which is when f(x) = 4 which is when x=4.

And you can apply the same principle to the other parts.

y-axis:

hits y-axis when x=0. so (a) f(0+1) = f(1) = 0
(b) f(0) - 4 = 2-4 = blah blah blah

apply the same principal to the other parts.

Edit: I didn't read the question properly and my answer is based on the first problem on the page. Sorry... the same thing should still apply, however.

------------------------------------------------------------

Answering the proper question

x-axis: f(x) = 0 when x=0. so for (b) f(x+1) = 0 when x+1 =0, i.e: x=-1
(c) 2f(x) = 0 when f(x) = 0, so x=0, etc...

In general, if you have a function g(x)=0g(x) = 0 at x1x_1 then your transformed function h(x)=g(x+α)h(x) = g(x + \alpha) will cross the axis when x+α=x1x+\alpha = x_1 or similarly for another transformation, such as h(x)=g(αx)h(x) = g(\alpha x), then that's αx=x1\alpha x = x_1.

y-axis:

Just plug x=0 in and you should get the point. E.g: (d) x= 0 gives f(0) - 2= 0 -2 = -2.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
x-axis: f(x) is 0 when x = 1 or x = 6.

Now, for example, (c) f(x+4) will be 0 whenever x+4 = 1 or x+4=5

(b) will be whenever f(x) - 4 = 0 which is when f(x) = 4 which is when x=4.

And you can apply the same principle to the other parts.

y-axis:

hits y-axis when x=0. so (a) f(0+1) = f(1) = 0
(b) f(0) - 4 = 2-4 = blah blah blah

apply the same principal to the other parts.

8/10, would look prettier in LaTeX\LaTeX
Reply 4
Original post by C0pper
8/10, would look prettier in LaTeX\LaTeX

So would you.
Reply 5
Sade is back ...
Reply 6
Original post by TeeEm
Sade is back ...

:rofl: Let her have her fun. :rofl:

Quick Reply