The Student Room Group

LSE or Sussex IDS Development Studies?

Hi guys - what are your thoughts on which is the better school for a masters? Obviously LSE is more globally recognized and might have more connections, but IDS might have better academics+research? I'm hoping to work for a think tank in the future, and I'm completely split, so any comments would be really appreciated! Thanks!
Original post by starzain
Hi guys - what are your thoughts on which is the better school for a masters? Obviously LSE is more globally recognized and might have more connections, but IDS might have better academics+research? I'm hoping to work for a think tank in the future, and I'm completely split, so any comments would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Definitely LSE. It has an absolute beast of a reputation.
Original post by starzain

Depends which you think would open more doors for you. As you said LSE is more recognised and might make you more generally employable; but if you're right and IDS is very niche and specific then that might be a better choice for what you want to focus on. Have you looked at the research interests of staff from each? Any particular department of staff which you feel you could 'see' yourself a part of? Obviously you will need to find a supervisor and sometimes finding someone who is completely in line with what you want to research cinches the deal.

Personally, I'd probably pick LSE just because of the connections and opportunities it might afford you. Being in London also helps since a lot of think-tanks, including Chatham House!, are based there.
(edited 8 years ago)
IDS is the world leader in training for any form of International Development. They train people from overseas governments and leading NGOs, and advise British government depts. You'll make some amazing contacts there and be taught be people working on cutting-edge projects/research.Uni of Sussex has an excellent reputation for all forms of Social Science research. Brighton is an amazing place to be a student - and a great deal cheaper than London.
Reply 4
Thanks guys! These are really helpful comments. Has anyone studied development at either school before?
Hi, I am too facing the same dilemma, choosing between LSE and IDS at Sussex. Which program have you applied for in Sussex? I am looking more in terms of employment opportunity after graduating still don't know whether LSE or Sussex offers better employment opportunity. Ranking wise IDS-Sussex definitely ranks higher for development studies.
Hey!
Where did you end up going? I have offers from LSE, SOAS and Sussex, and I haven't decided yet. Would really love your input!
Reply 7
go to LSE, the best one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending