The Student Room Group

NCS

Is anyone planning to do an NCS this year? Or has done it? If so, what is it like?

Can't make my mind up if its going to be worth my summer xD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hxfsxh
Is anyone planning to do an NCS this year? Or has done it? If so, what is it like?

Definitely do it! I did it about 2 years ago and it was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. I've heard the funding isn't as much as it was before but I still think you should give it a go. You get the opportunity to challenge yourself and make heaps of new friends, and for that alone it's really worth it.
Original post by retardis
Definitely do it! I did it about 2 years ago and it was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. I've heard the funding isn't as much as it was before but I still think you should give it a go. You get the opportunity to challenge yourself and make heaps of new friends, and for that alone it's really worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing mine in February! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hxfsxh

I enjoyed doing my NCS so its really a great experience. I did mine last August and it was amazing. week 1 we went to Northerhampton, did soo many activities including kayaking, rope climbing, archery and bush craft, so overall this was my favourite. 2nd week we stayed in student accommodation and every day went to a different part of Yorkshire to do activities as well, which was nice to have the opportunity to go to various places and try new foods etc. For our 3/4 week we helped our local community allotment and helped raise money to fund charities. it was hard work but it was all worth it in the end. I met some great new friends who I never though to think we lived in the same city. Overall, great experiences, challenges, opportunity and tea building :smile:
Original post by clobberlobber
I'm doing mine in February! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool :smile: mines over y11 summer, if I choose to do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JaffaNeko
I enjoyed doing my NCS so its really a great experience. I did mine last August and it was amazing. week 1 we went to Northerhampton, did soo many activities including kayaking, rope climbing, archery and bush craft, so overall this was my favourite. 2nd week we stayed in student accommodation and every day went to a different part of Yorkshire to do activities as well, which was nice to have the opportunity to go to various places and try new foods etc. For our 3/4 week we helped our local community allotment and helped raise money to fund charities. it was hard work but it was all worth it in the end. I met some great new friends who I never though to think we lived in the same city. Overall, great experiences, challenges, opportunity and tea building :smile:

Sounds great, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
it is good, it's a nice experience definitely, and something valuable to put on your CV, so you can stand out from everyone else who just has DofE on theirs - so many people have this now, it's almost not even worth putting it on there. NCS is more unique, but it is well known and unis will recognize it as you going out, doing stuff and helping people, cause of the volunteering. i did NCS last year, but i did the spring programme, not the summer one, which is 1 week instead of 4. if you're worried about spending 4 weeks away from home, you don't want it to take up your whole summer, or you're not sure if you'll like it, opt for the spring programme. its just as good, and unis will see no difference whether you out spring or summer programme on your application - all they will see is NCS and they'll see this as a good thing. if you're sure you'll like it, do the summer one! if there's places left, have a look at the spring one too! maybe the weather won't be as nice, but it's just as good!
Original post by opalesecent
it is good, it's a nice experience definitely, and something valuable to put on your CV, so you can stand out from everyone else who just has DofE on theirs - so many people have this now, it's almost not even worth putting it on there. NCS is more unique, but it is well known and unis will recognize it as you going out, doing stuff and helping people, cause of the volunteering. i did NCS last year, but i did the spring programme, not the summer one, which is 1 week instead of 4. if you're worried about spending 4 weeks away from home, you don't want it to take up your whole summer, or you're not sure if you'll like it, opt for the spring programme. its just as good, and unis will see no difference whether you out spring or summer programme on your application - all they will see is NCS and they'll see this as a good thing. if you're sure you'll like it, do the summer one! if there's places left, have a look at the spring one too! maybe the weather won't be as nice, but it's just as good!

Really helpful, thank you :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hxfsxh
Really helpful, thank you :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

no problem! have fun if you do it :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by hxfsxh

It will be worth it.
Original post by ombtom
It will be worth it.

Your certainty is reassuring :P

Are you stalking my posts? 😂 :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by hxfsxh
Are you stalking my posts? 😂 :biggrin:

Don't be ridiculous.
Original post by ombtom
Don't be ridiculous.

Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not, but hey ho.
I'd say go for it but don't expect it to be the BEST THING EVER like they advertise it to be. I went on it and I was in a group full of people who just didn't get on, didn't want to work and had a crap senior mentor!
For example, in week 2 we had to make a documentary about an old people's home. About 5/12 people worked on it and my small little group got our section done within an hour to an amazing standard, so we chill and when I come back from like a 10 min walk, someone from my team has messed up my audio and video by inserting random pictures. :angry: Oh, and also, my senior mentor made 2 people cry for no reason in the first week and was flirting with all the boys :redface: I have so many nightmarish stories from those 3 weeks haha!
It was a good experience and taught me how to not get involved in drama and be patient :biggrin: but remember, sometimes things that are out of your control cause you to have a less than stellar experience. Regardless, my case was a special one and I still get to put it on my CV so go for it!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by JaffaNeko

I love a bit of tea building!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by typicalvirgo
I'd say go for it but don't expect it to be the BEST THING EVER like they advertise it to be. I went on it and I was in a group full of people who just didn't get on, didn't want to work and had a crap senior mentor!
For example, in week 2 we had to make a documentary about an old people's. about 5/12 people worked on it and my small little group got our section done within an hour, so we chill and when I come back, someone from my team has messed up my audio and video by inserting random pictures. :angry: Oh, and also, my senior mentor made 2 people cry for o reason in the first week and was flirting with all the boys :redface: I have so many nightmarish stories from those 3 weeks haha!
It was a good experience and taught me how to not get involved in drama :biggrin: but remember, sometimes things that are out of your control cause you to have a less than stellar experience...

That seems pretty crazy haha, I'll take that in mind :P
I'll probably do the one week NCS in spring to be honest :P
I would highly recommend it especially living at the uni accommodation which was the best part for me. I think it's a fantastic opportunity that shouldn't be missed especially if you didn't do Duke of Edinburgh or anything like that.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I would highly recommend it especially living at the uni accommodation which was the best part for me. I think it's a fantastic opportunity that shouldn't be missed especially if you didn't do Duke of Edinburgh or anything like that.

I've done DofE but I've heard there's more demand for an NCS on a CV because not as many people do it or have heard of it. Thanks for your recommendation :smile:
I went to the challenge in the summer and is by far the best experience I had in my life. If you want the full and fun experience then I would advise against going with your friends and go by yourself instead

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending