The Student Room Group

Is anyone doing NCS this summer??

hey I was wondering if I should do it and if people actually do it in the UK. also what do you have to gradate and the social reform thingy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I signed up, but my social anxiety is like no no no.I dont want to do it now :/
Reply 2
I'm doing it 27th June '16. Going to be the only person in my school on that date, I miss prom but am hoping it goes well.
I'm doing it from 7/8th August (don't remember the exact date) for 3 weeks.
We graduate 27th September I think....
I really should check all the dates out :0

We have the social reform thing the week after week 2 - so the week that we get our GCSEs back.

Loads of people seem to have the social reform thing on the weekends though...
Reply 4
I'm worried because I don't know wether I'm aloud to smoke or not.... No one seems to have any answers
Reply 5
Original post by Jojo420
I'm worried because I don't know wether I'm aloud to smoke or not.... No one seems to have any answers

Hey, I'm doing NCS from the 28th June too. I got a lot of sheets with terms and agreements in the post and one of them said 'No drugs' and 'no non prescription medication allowed'. So I take this to mean no cigarettes.
Reply 6
Original post by LeahJade
I signed up, but my social anxiety is like no no no.I dont want to do it now :/

I am the same way :smile: but, it sounds really fun and I bet that most people will be feeling some form of anxiousess on the first day. Besides NCS is meant to help people get out their shell (at least I hope it does)
Reply 7
However I read somewhere that there was a smoking area, and smoking isn't an illegal drug, and I'm legal to smoke and have parental permission. Hmm, I'm not sure 😱 also what place are you going ? It will be amazing if you're going to the same as I !
I did it last summer. It's an amazing opportunity, I went being the only person from my school on my wave (NCS group). You meet so many different people in the same scenario as you, trust me a lot of people are nervous about it but you get used to each other after a bit and its so good!!!
Reply 9
What centre did you go to? And did anyone smoke in your wave ? I'm so nervous as no one I know is going 😱
Reply 10
I did it a few years ago :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Goaded
I did it a few years ago :smile:

What was it like?
Reply 12
Original post by Jojo420
What was it like?

It was okay, I liked the PGL week best lol. The camping week was **** and all the social action project stuff was good except my team were all massive dickheads haha
Original post by Jojo420
However I read somewhere that there as a smoking area, and smoking isn't an illegal drug, and I'm legal to smoke and have parental permission. Hmm, I'm not sure 😱 also what place are you going ? It will be amazing if you're going to the same as I !

You will probably find out about the smoking once you get the terms and conditions sheet in the post... um and if you can't, maybe you could attempt to go cold turkey for a week?

I'm from Lincolnshire (the East Midlands) so I bet that I will be placed in Nottingham uni or something like that.
Original post by Goaded
It was okay, I liked the PGL week best lol. The camping week was **** and all the social action project stuff was good except my team were all massive dickheads haha

Camping is usually a nightmare :/ I remember doing d of e and sleeping for roughly an hour each night and going jogging at 3am to resist dying of hypothermia, oh and everyone was hiding from the cold tents at night in the toilets.

I hope to God that my 'wave' won't be dickheads. The only person I know from my area that is going, is the boyfriend of this girl in my maths class and we have never talked.
Reply 15
I'm going away for two weeks ? Hmm I also hope my wave is okay.... I will be camping the second week in "safari style" tents in some zoo ? Has anyone done the ultimate activity centre ??
Original post by Jojo420
What centre did you go to? And did anyone smoke in your wave ? I'm so nervous as no one I know is going 😱

We're not allowed to smoke.
I know in some you are, providing you are of age.
Reply 17
Original post by Martyana
Camping is usually a nightmare :/ I remember doing d of e and sleeping for roughly an hour each night and going jogging at 3am to resist dying of hypothermia, oh and everyone was hiding from the cold tents at night in the toilets.

I hope to God that my 'wave' won't be dickheads. The only person I know from my area that is going, is the boyfriend of this girl in my maths class and we have never talked.

The showers were cold and over the whole week I showered twice :tongue: It was disgusting! Dry shampoo and baby wipes are your friend!!!!! I actually went with on of my best friends and another girl I knew really well and we cuddled... Hahah so it wasn't so cold.

You'll make friends, I say everyone was horrible but I still talk to one boy I met there (we had a short fling:wink:) and I went with two people and one came with her boyfriend. One other boy was okay but one night he had a fight and I got scared of him after that and didn't talk haha. My group was big though. Started with 20 people
Original post by Jojo420
However I read somewhere that there was a smoking area, and smoking isn't an illegal drug, and I'm legal to smoke and have parental permission. Hmm, I'm not sure 😱 also what place are you going ? It will be amazing if you're going to the same as I !

Iirc, they asked who smoked so they were aware and said that there would be a designated area for it. It's best to contact them and ask though. :smile:
I'm doing it from the 23rd of July to August 14th 2016. From London, hope we can all be friends! Where are you guys doing it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending