The Student Room Group

What's it like to finish school and start uni?

Sounds like fun. What were the differences?
"Sounds like fun." So naive.
Depends on what type of person you are.

Personally, I enjoyed A-levels more as the content was challenging but I was keeping on top of it. I went to quite a small school so there was a real community feeling there and I felt very happy. It was nice to not have worries like having to cook or sort everything out yourself.

But for many they'll prefer starting uni. Escaping from the parents, living in your own place, studying the subject you love, getting involved at uni etc.

A huge difference, I suppose, is work. You can do as much or as little as you want to without anyone really pressuring you. If you don't do things like homework or go to lectures, no one will really know unless it's checked. Though if your attendance for tutorials becomes too low then your uni might have something to say about it, as well as not doing coursework etc.

That's not to say that you shouldn't go to lectures or not do work - it's up to you to motivate yourself and do well. There's no one there to give you any detentions, you don't have to phone up to say that you're ill and can't go to a lecture etc, but I would suggest going to everything if you can and working pretty hard. You don't want exams to roll around and wish that you'd worked harder. A bit like school in that respect.
(edited 8 years ago)
LECTURES ARE SO MUCH HARDER!

remember how your teacher used to let everyone copy their power point before moving on? this doesn't happen

Remember how your teacher explains until the class understands before moving on? this doesn't happen

The lecturer talk straight and fast until they finish, giving you the need to finish learning everything in your own time

Social life side of things are great tho
Original post by samina_ay
"Sounds like fun." So naive.

really? elaborate please

Quick Reply

Latest