The Student Room Group

AEA Official Thread Summer 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Mathematician99
I need a distinction (not officially, but I think it will look good for Oxford).

Last year's paper was a piece of cake! If I don't et a distinction, I might just not put it down on UCAS lol

If you don't declare all your grades in subjects you have sat you can be kicked out of the course at any point during or before your course and even after you could have your degree rescinded because it was obtained fraudulently. It really isn't worth it.
Reply 41
Original post by notrodash
I only need a Merit, so hopefully it won't be too difficult. I believe I'm the only one sitting this exam at my college and I've had to pay £80 just to be able to sit it, so this better be worth it. My uni offer is A*AAA + Merit AEA…

£80?! The exam itself only costs £45.25...
Luckily my entry into uni isn't dependant on AEA and I'm just doing it for fun and the challenge.
Original post by Aph
£80?! The exam itself only costs £45.25...
Luckily my entry into uni isn't dependant on AEA and I'm just doing it for fun and the challenge.

Could the rest be to pay for invigilators and so on? I wasn't aware that there are other means of sitting it. My college charge £25 for A-Level resits and £80 for everything else. I'm sitting as an 'external candidate' due to how few people still do it.
Reply 43
Could the rest be to pay for invigilators and so on? I wasn't aware that there are other means of sitting it. My college charge £25 for A-Level resits and £80 for everything else. I'm sitting as an 'external candidate' due to how few people still do it.

Probably.
I'm the only one at my school doing it too but luckily they pay for everything.
Does anyone know whether we will get the standard Edexcel formula booklet?
Reply 45
Does anyone know whether we will get the standard Edexcel formula booklet?

The green one? Yeah.
Reply 47

Yeah that's the badger.
I assumed they were all the same colour due to no dates on the front.
Reply 48
Anyone knows how to get full marks for style,clarity and presentation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by zebrara
Anyone knows how to get full marks for style,clarity and presentation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know you get one of them from having over half in the marks in every question. Then the rest I suppose is purely just how clear and tidy all your workings and such are.
They award "S+" and "S-" for style, where "S+" will give you marks and "S-" will prevent a style mark. The S+ is usually for finding clever and concise methods of solving problems, justifying solutions (e.g. why take the + sign on this function with a +- in?) and plotting points and intercepts on graph sketches.

I need a Merit for my ICL Computer Science offer. This is, however, my insurance choice, as my firm is Cambridge, and I think I've met my offer there. Should be fun though.
Hmm. Should have practiced more. Had no clue on question 2 (arccos + arcsin + ...), question 3 (vectors), most of the summation question (couldn't do part (a) or (b) despite spending ages on them; got (c) into the correct form but couldn't solve since I hadn't done (b)) and weirdly couldn't solve the first part of 7. I think I got the rest though. Might scrape a merit?
Original post by Bunderwump
Hmm. Should have practiced more. Had no clue on question 2 (arccos + arcsin + ...), question 3 (vectors), most of the summation question (couldn't do part (a) or (b) despite spending ages on them; got (c) into the correct form but couldn't solve since I hadn't done (b)) and weirdly couldn't solve the first part of 7. I think I got the rest though. Might scrape a merit?

Same here although I could do the summation question, however for (part (c)) my answer is probably wrong... Last year's paper I thought was considerably easier (I was eight marks off of a distinction -I think that I lost at least 15 more marks than in that paper so it'll be tight (getting a merit that is). What did you get for the integration question? I got sqrt(2) - sin(1) -cos(1).
Original post by Bunderwump

Managed to do 2, 5a but couldn't do 5b either, as I found it difficult to sum rx^(-r), but hopefully I should get a mark for taking out the 1/X constant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
was 2 3pi/4?
was hard-ish paper so hopefully I've passed.
Original post by Aph
was 2 3pi/4?
was hard-ish paper so hopefully I've passed.

Yeah!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used FP3 techniques to answer part b of the vectors :tongue: had no idea how to do it otherwise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by WhiteScythe
Same here although I could do the summation question, however for (part (c)) my answer is probably wrong... Last year's paper I thought was considerably easier (I was eight marks off of a distinction -I think that I lost at least 15 more marks than in that paper so it'll be tight (getting a merit that is). What did you get for the integration question? I got sqrt(2) - sin(1) -cos(1).

I agree with you on the integration question. I tidied it up to sqrt(2)(1-cos(1+pi/4)) but not sure that was needed.
Reply 58
Original post by kingaaran
I used FP3 techniques to answer part b of the vectors :tongue: had no idea how to do it otherwise

Posted from TSR Mobile

it was GCSE grade work :/ you did |ab|*|bc|*|bd|/6 it helped if you drew the diagram.
How about the boundaries for k?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending