The Student Room Group

AEA Official Thread Summer 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aph
it was GCSE grade work :/ you did |ab|*|bc|*|bd|/6 it helped if you drew the diagram.

Yeah but I used the FP3 formula that was pretty much in the formula booklet anyways

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought it was a very nice paper, personally. Made a silly mistake at the last minute on 2 by putting pi + pi/4 instead of pi - pi/4 but hopefully that's just one mark. I had no problems with the rest of the paper.
Reply 62
Original post by A Slice of Pi
Thought it was a very nice paper, personally. Made a silly mistake at the last minute on 2 by putting pi + pi/4 instead of pi - pi/4 but hopefully that's just one mark. I had no problems with the rest of the paper.

how did you end up with pi-pi/4 anyway? I ended up with pi/4+pi/2???
Original post by Aph
how did you end up with pi-pi/4 anyway? I ended up with pi/4+pi/2???

Year that's also correct. They both give 3pi/4. It depends how you tackle the problem but I put them all in terms of arctan and ended up with arctan(-1) which I erroneously said was pi/4 + pi (omitting the minus sign in front of the pi/4). There'll be a few ways of doing the problem though.
Reply 64
Year that's also correct. They both give 3pi/4. It depends how you tackle the problem but I put them all in terms of arctan and ended up with arctan(-1) which I erroneously said was pi/4 + pi (omitting the minus sign in front of the pi/4). There'll be a few ways of doing the problem though.

yeah I know that they are both correct... but why would you put
arccos(13)arccos(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}) in terms of tan when you can solve as it is? just seems a bit weird to me.
Original post by Aph
yeah I know that they are both correct... but why would you put
arccos(13)arccos(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}) in terms of tan when you can solve as it is? just seems a bit weird to me.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but it works out quite nicely if you get everything in terms of arctan and then use the arctan sum identity to get everything as a single arctan term. That's the method that came quickest to me under exam conditions.
Reply 66
Yeah, I'm aware of that, but it works out quite nicely if you get everything in terms of arctan and then use the arctan sum identity to get everything as a single arctan term. That's the method that came quickest to me under exam conditions.

ahhh okay. that makes sense now.
Struggled with Q2 and Q5… Hopefully I can still get the Merit that I need.
How do you get started with Q2?

Edit: and also, finding E for the vectors?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by Bunderwump
How do you get started with Q2?

arccos(13)+arcsin(13)+2arctan(12)arccos(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})+arcsin(\frac{1}{3})+2arctan(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})?
Original post by Aph
arccos(13)+arcsin(13)+2arctan(12)arccos(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})+arcsin(\frac{1}{3})+2arctan(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})?

Yep.
Reply 71
Original post by Bunderwump
Yep.

okay I started:
arccos(13)+arcsin(13)+2arctan(12)arccos(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})+arcsin(\frac{1}{3})+2arctan(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})

arccos(13)=π4arccos(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})=\frac{\pi}{4}

arcsin(13)=θsin(θ)=13cos(θ)=223tan(θ)=122arcsin(\frac{1}{3})=\theta \Rightarrow sin(\theta)=\frac{1}{3} \Rightarrow cos(\theta)=\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3} \therefore tan(\theta)=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}

2arctan(12)=θtan(θ2)=122arctan(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})= \theta \Rightarrow tan(\frac{\theta}{2})=\frac{1}{ \sqrt{2}}
using the double angle formula I could then say
tan(θ)=22tan(\theta)=2\sqrt{2}

can walk you through some more but it should be fairly obvious from here.
Assuming I got full marks on the questions I think I got right (can someone remember the marks for each question?)

Q1: 7/7
Q4: 11/11
Q6: 18/18
Q7: 16/22

Gives 52. I probably got one or two method marks for 2 and 3, and quite a few for 5 and 7(a). But I've probably also made mistakes. Maybe I can scrape a merit.
Original post by kingaaran
Managed to do 2, 5a but couldn't do 5b either, as I found it difficult to sum rx^(-r), but hopefully I should get a mark for taking out the 1/X constant

Posted from TSR Mobile

The summation follows directly from (b). Carry out differentiation and then multiply though by x. Then substitute x = 2. A similar question was asked in the specimen paper.
(edited 7 years ago)
This paper wasn't too difficult in my opinion. The only parts I couldn't do was 5b and 5c. I divided by x for 5b, so I may get a mark there, but I'm pretty sure I'll get a distinction unless I've mucked up my mental calculations everywhere.
Reply 75
Glad it wasn't part of my offer (just doing it for a bit of fun) but think I might have scraped a merit. I did struggle a lot though so I'm not sure. Still i enjoyed doing harder than A level maths
Reply 76
Well for the summations (part b) I thought I had been really cleaver and went and said that It was a GP a=x2,r=2log2(2)x1a=x^{-2}, r=2^{log_{2}(2)}*x^{-1}
Because I was thinking that to get a 1 unit increase each term you should use some form of adding logs bye because it was a GP you had to times them together... In the exam it made perfect sense but now it really doesn't make sense at all. How were you meant to do that one?
Original post by Aph
Well for the summations (part b) I thought I had been really cleaver and went and said that It was a GP a=x2,r=2log2(2)x1a=x^{-2}, r=2^{log_{2}(2)}*x^{-1}
Because I was thinking that to get a 1 unit increase each term you should use some form of adding logs bye because it was a GP you had to times them together... In the exam it made perfect sense but now it really doesn't make sense at all. How were you meant to do that one?

Differentiate it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by physicsmaths
Differentiate it

Posted from TSR Mobile

With respect to r? How's that work?
Original post by Aph
With respect to r? How's that work?

No, with respect to x. You want to go from a general term of x^-r to a term of rx^-(r+1). To get the old power in front of the x you need to differentiate and multiply by -1 to remove the negative. See the 2002 specimen paper for a full solution.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending