The Student Room Group

What would you rate your parents' parenting skills?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall
9/10 only criticism I'd have is when I was much younger she didn't push me very hard in academia. But I still managed to do okay anyway. Either way I still preferred her approach to pushy parents who force their kids to take part in activities they hate.

My mum was fairly laid back, but also fair and clear about her rules and expectations. As a result I respected her and didn't resent her for being over the top or a helicopter mum. And above all I trusted her, which I think a lot of kids with over the top parents fear they can't do for fear of their parents reactions.

She was always a very hands on mum from a young age, she taught me to read, write, tell the time and do basic maths before I started nursery at age 4. She also taught me how to basically be responsible from a young age too, she showed me the value of money, how to budget and cook and overall what really matters which is being happy and how to treat others.

I don't plan to have children, but if I were planning to I would raise them how she raised me.

I love my mum. :smile:

I'd rep your mum if I could :tongue:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I'd rep your mum if I could :tongue:

Naw haha, thanks :tongue: I'm sure she'd appreciate it.
“Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes they forgive them.”

- Oscar Wilde
8/10 - I was brought up with good manners and had a decent upbringing. Wish they pushed me more in my education when we came to England though :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
9/10.

They've always made me feel like I was able to do anything I wanted, whether it be writing or science. They've never been bad to me. I think I was a bit of a spoiled child, though not in the material sense because we're poor. They cared about my academic life since I was a child, but they've always been happy with whatever results I got. I'd sometimes get bad marks in mocks (and they would tell me that it's fine at least I tried) then end up with straight A's in the end. I really liked how they've never pushed me academically by telling me I should do well in this or that/I should be revising/I need to get into a good uni, instead they just let me do everything in my own time. One downfall however, they never spent much time with me when I was little because they'd work and mum would be too tired at night so she'd just prepare dinner, watch TV with me for an hour or so then she went to bed. Father's a really nice man, I know we don't have any common interests but he'd always ask me stuff, in a way to let me know that he enjoys talking to me. I came out to my mum a few months ago, (bear in mind my family's religious) and she was fine with it. She was quite sad though I could tell, but she said I'll always be her son no matter what. And that almost made me cry. :frown: Sometimes I wish I wasn't a homosexual. It's caused me too much pain when I was small, and made me lose a group of friends at uni, not because I was gay but because I was depressed and my behaviour became too much for them to handle (I almost committed suicide, was put on therapy and meds immediately after. been a few months now and am on the mend!).
I don't think I can rate my mum because I haven't been in her shoes so I can't say how hard things may have been for her, especially having to live with my dad for so long. My mum is everything to me and I can do anything for her.
I can definitely say that my dad is a 3/10, he has never really been a dad to me. He has never been hurtful or anything but hasn't really raised me like a father should.

No, I would not raise my kids the same way they raised me because I don't agree with them on a lot of things.
Minus six
2/10. Credit for managing to get us to 18 without us dying.
(edited 8 years ago)
7.8/10 too much water.

They tried to drown me.
Bit of an unfair thread
Original post by driftawaay
This. I have never been disciplined at all, and I could never look at my parents as authority figures.

hm this is interesting because neither of them have ever laid a finger on me, or shouted at me, and I was spoilt a bit I guess (not a brat though :tongue:), yet I fear them both and the authority element is definitely there
Can't fault my mum at all, regarding parenting. She was always there for me when I needed and when I didn't. She always done whatever she could to protect me, and never ever had she done me wrong. She done the best she could, so I'll rate her 10/10.

As a grown up now, we think in very different ways. And because of that, our relationship never grew from the state of mother-son to mother/friend-son/friend. We think in completely different ways, we like different stuff, we have completely different ideas of life. She has that with my sister, and I have that with my dad now. Me and my mum are still extremely close to each other, compared to other people I know, but we are not quite "bros".

My dad is a different story. He is like a 21 year old guy, but older. He was a bit aloof at parenting, he was there, but in a different way than my mum. He might have not been the best when I was younger, but now that I'm older, I found out that we have so much in common! We like the same things, the same lifestyle, we think in very similar way and I really enjoy his company. Whilst out dad-son relationship lacked a bit, our dad/friend-son/friend relationship is great!

In the end of the day I couldn't have asked for different parents. They both could have been cleverer on certain things and if they were they might of still be together. But life is what it is, and I'm very happy with the parents I was blessed with :smile:
I would say 7/10 at best. My parents are strict (not as ridiculously strict as was before, after pealing the awkward layers in the last 2-3 years) so I don't have as much freedom as my friends do. I love the fact that they care for me and my future, but it gets to the point that they think they're doing a good job, when in reality, their parenting is out dated. Like for example - my parents are very well aware I can never get any college work done to my maximum potential if I'm not in college, so I asked to go for accommodation when I get to uni because it's a freaking degree - my mind should be fully motivated and solely towards passing my degree . But because they put my 'safety' first (doesn't help that they watch Crimewatch and other related shows which consisted as guys being monsters and girls always becoming a target) I wasn't able to convince them. Due to this problem, I've become a good liar and tried distancing myself from them (even though me and my parents have good banter) and It does hurt me to lie to them - but I have no other option. I've become so numb to my mums shouting that once I lie to my mum about being in one place when she told me not too, I just tell her the truth afterwards and literally give no ****s about her answer. It just gets to the point where I even like the fact that my anger is fuelling up as I would have an excuse to retaliate towards my parents.

But my parents do love me by giving me advice and guiding me to become street smart. They've taught me manners and such, as what other good parents should. But If It were me personally in their position, I wouldn't be so strict and let my kids be a bit more free, as they would open up more and wouldn't lie to my face. I would feel safer knowing that my kids won't lie to me and do not feel left out by their peers in school, because I would truly know what they're doing.
Reply 33
my mum a 10 - there's been times in my life when she's literally worked herself into sickness, she's never faltered in her love and support, I have endless amounts of respect for her and she remains my first and best friend. i could never even begin to explain what she's done for me, given up for me.

i'd give my dad a 7/8 - not that he was a bad parent, my mum was just better

special mention to my eldest sister, who took care of me when I was born till i was about 3 (my parents were around, but working all the time cause we were so broke...) and i'd give her an 8. she only stopped looking after me constantly cause she had her own son, and she's still one of the first people i turn to for help
The lord has truly blessed me, for I have had a wonderful upbringing.
A solid 9.5/10. They lose half a point for being a little too indulgent when I was younger, but it came from the right place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending