The Student Room Group

Edexcel Core 3 - 21st June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
There's no specific amount of work that I can tell you to do; you'll need to decide on that yourself but it's certainly very doable, you're basically already there you just need a smidge more practice and understanding. It's time to really drill down on your weaknesses and analyse your performances on past papers in depth. What topics do you frequently lose marks on? Isolate that topic and work on it thoroughly then rinse and repeat for each topic. You have plenty of time, you can do this, easily.

Thanks a lot for the encouragement, I had a class test on C3 today and it didn't go well, so annoying as over Easter I was really getting the hang of it and this has knocked my confidence. On the other it was definitely a hard paper as everyone found it hard :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
Thanks a lot for the encouragement, I had a class test on C3 today and it didn't go well, so annoying as over Easter I was really getting the hang of it and this has knocked my confidence. On the other it was definitely a hard paper as everyone found it hard :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries - the most important thing is that you learn something from it (like what you need to work on).
Can someone please post some difficult domain/range questions please.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For question 8 (c) from the January 2014 (IAL) paper, why can you equate the f(x) function to the f(t) function? How are they related in any way?

Also, with the answer k = 9/8, the equation f(t)=9/8etf(t) = 9/8e^t does not have a solution as it does not cross the x-axis. So, how come the question says there is one real solution?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Glavien
For question 8 (c) from the January 2014 (IAL) paper, why can you equate the f(x) function to the f(t) function? How are they related in any way?

Also, with the answer k = 9/8, the equation f(t)=9/8etf(t) = 9/8e^t does not have a solution as it does not cross the x-axis. So, how come the question says there is one real solution?

You're not equating the f(x) function to the f(t) function, remember that all the letter inside the bracket of the function is a dummy variable; i.e: if I say f(x) = 2x, then the only use of the x in the bracket is to tell me that the x's are the variables. But I might as well just say f(t) = 2x.

So, if you have f(x) = 3 - 2e^(-x) then I can say that f(t) = 3 - 2e^(-t), it makes no difference, the letter is only there to tell me that the t or the x is what changes and everything else is constant.

Now, the equation f(t) = 9/8e^t does have a solution; precisely when f(t) intersects 9/8e^t.
Original post by Zacken
You're not equating the f(x) function to the f(t) function, remember that all the letter inside the bracket of the function is a dummy variable; i.e: if I say f(x) = 2x, then the only use of the x in the bracket is to tell me that the x's are the variables. But I might as well just say f(t) = 2x.

So, if you have f(x) = 3 - 2e^(-x) then I can say that f(t) = 3 - 2e^(-t), it makes no difference, the letter is only there to tell me that the t or the x is what changes and everything else is constant.

Now, the equation f(t) = 9/8e^t does have a solution; precisely when f(t) intersects 9/8e^t.

Ohh, I think I got it. So your just finding the value of k when the two graphs intersect, right?
Reply 46
Original post by Glavien
Ohh, I think I got it. So your just finding the value of k when the two graphs intersect, right?

Yep, pretty much.
Original post by Zacken
Yep, pretty much.

Thanks, as always :smile:
For questions like 'Express 2cosx+5sinx2cosx + 5sinx in the form R cos (x α), where R > 0 and 0 < α < π/2', will we always be given the form to write the expression in, like in this question? Is there an easy way to know how you could express 2cosx+5sinx2cosx + 5sinx without the form given in the question? Thanks in advance!
Reply 49
Original post by Glavien
For questions like 'Express 2cosx+5sinx2cosx + 5sinx in the form R cos (x α), where R > 0 and 0 < α < π/2', will we always be given the form to write the expression in, like in this question? Is there an easy way to know how you could express 2cosx+5sinx2cosx + 5sinx without the form given in the question? Thanks in advance!

You will always be given the form in the question. But otherwise, if you see something of the form acosx+bsinxa\cos x + b\sin x it's representable in the form Rcos(xα)R\cos (x-\alpha) or Rsin(xα)R\sin(x-\alpha) always and it doesn't really matter which one you pick since they're just translations of each other.
Original post by Glavien

I think the form that it's supposed to be in already is easy enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Need help for range and domain questions. Always get them wrong on the paper. Anyone know how to attempt those type questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eh really need to start revising C3.
Original post by arks_007
Need help for range and domain questions. Always get them wrong on the paper. Anyone know how to attempt those type questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For which type of functions, fractional, trigonometric, exponential...?
Reply 54

I've written two, very detailed, posts over the past year or so that explains domains and ranges - if you could just take a few minutes to sit down and read them, it'll be worth your while (hopefully).

Post 1 and Post 2.
Original post by Zacken
I've written two, very detailed, posts over the past year or so that explains domains and ranges - if you could just take a few minutes to sit down and read them, it'll be worth your while (hopefully).

Post 1 and Post 2.

Wow those posts are very helpful :smile:
Original post by Zacken

Post 1 and Post 2.

thank you very much zacken. very helpful!!!thank you very much zacken. very helpful!!!
Reply 57
Original post by SaadKaleem
Eh really need to start revising C3.

Don't we all ha
Reply 58
Original post by SaadKaleem
Wow those posts are very helpful :smile:

thank you very much zacken. very helpful!!!thank you very much zacken. very helpful!!!

Thanks guys.
Reply 59
https://a086a5a2f39bda93734c56a63fab1d7be0a9ba38.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQXE5T2xiNDBRd2s/January%202014%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20C34%20Edexcel.pdf

hi for question 4b i need help for the range. So far ive subbed 0 into it to get g(x)<= 3

but i dont understand how the other value is calculated

Quick Reply