The Student Room Group

how to revise for lit exams

theres probably been a ton of threads on this.
How do you people generally go about revising for a literature exam? Im first yr of uni btw. Im rather ashamed to say i didnt do much in the way of preparation for a level lit so i dont really have any previous experience/ techniques to fall back on. My module is on shakespeare if thats of any relevance.
cheers
I've found that selecting 4/5 writers from the course this year and choosing my favourite work from each, reading each one again, analsying them as I go. I then make notes on the poems, and make a list of the lines I know I can remember. Now I'm trying to cooperate this into answering practice questions. Hope this is ok :s-smilie:
i do spider diagrams of planned essays. Make points, back it up with a critic and a quote from the play and your cool. I use colours!! They help me revise loadssss.
I make sure I know the texts perfectly, back-to-front and upside-down. Doing a spidergram of character interactions is always useful. Then I study two critics... one I agree with and one I don't. Learn a few key quotes. Formulate a few arguments in your head for the themes of the book that could be questions... voila!
can i just ask... is english at uni much easier than at A-level?
Reply 5
No.
Reply 6
i agree doing plans and spider diagrams help, and also york notes are really useful for specific modules. i think the shakespeare ones are
As you like it,Henry IV, Julius Caesar, Macbeth, Richard III and Measure for measure. There may be more as well. I found the Richard III really useful. i hope it helps.
lyrical_maze
can i just ask... is english at uni much easier than at A-level?

how does that figure? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Ahh i have an exam on Joyce and Lawrence tomorrow, i haven't started revising for yet and i have an essay due in today that i'm half way through. No time for spider diagrams for me methinks. I'll just have to note some crit quotes down and attempt to link all the thmese of the short stories up in my head. Perhaps not possible in 24hours but hey i can give it a go. xx

Latest

Trending

Trending