The Student Room Group

How to get 100% UMS in Maths

How many marks can I drop to still get 100 UMS in every paper I do? Also what tips do you have for avoiding silly mistakes and ensuring you ace every question in A level maths papers? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Do all the past papers multiple times, make sure you read the mark scheme fully when marking and the examiners reports so that you know what every single mark is awarded for.

I got 100% in C1, as for c2 there were silly mistakes - sometimes you can't avoid them
Reply 2
Original post by Someboady
How many marks can I drop to still get 100 UMS in every paper I do? Also what tips do you have for avoiding silly mistakes and ensuring you ace every question in A level maths papers? Thanks

Depends on the paper. C1 is usually around 74/75 for 100% UMS; other papers have had 100% in the 60s, if I remember correctly.
Depends what exam board and paper you're on. Normally on some papers like C4 you can drop a couple of raw marks and still get 100 ums. To avoid silly mistakes, you need to simply check your answers again and again with the remaining time you have at the end of the exam. There are some questions (like integrals) which you can check by inputting the integral into your calculator and seeing if the answer is right. Whenever there is an alternate way to do a question and you have time, do it both ways to see if you get the same answer.
I got 99% UMS in AS maths. My advice would be to just do every single past paper.
This depends on your exam board. But yeah past a certain point, you can't really learn much more. It's about your test taking strategy.

What worked for me was rushing the paper in the first 40 minutes and then spending the next 50 scrutinising each detail of the question and matching it with my answer
Practice makes perfect :yep:

The more exposure you get, the less likely you are to make mistakes :smile:
Reply 7

Do every past paper for you exam board (if you ran out move to a different one). Physics and Maths tutor has all the resource you'll need to practice.

After finishing past papers, you should write down the silly mistakes you did and be conscious of it the next time you do another one.
Practice Practice Practice and then...

Spoiler

Reply 9
Original post by ombtom
Depends on the paper. C1 is usually around 74/75 for 100% UMS; other papers have had 100% in the 60s, if I remember correctly.

M1? :colondollar:
Reply 10

How many marks you can drop to get 100UMS varies paper by paper. Just don't aim to drop any...if a super tough one comes along that may not be possible realistically but in general it can be a reasonable goal with enough practice. Just constantly think about what you're doing and if each step makes sense, and try to be quite quick so you have time to check everything over at the end. I got 100UMS on 5/6 maths exams (87 on C2 lmao) and on 4/6 further maths (plus a 95 and a 96) People will tell you that it's almost all practice and it's boring to hear but it's true. However make sure you understand the content fully; it may be worth practising harder questions as exam boards sometimes go crazy.
edit: just realised how out of place my UMS mention is there lol, just figure credentials probably matter to you, you wouldn't listen to me if I had 50% or something I guess..
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by jamestg
M1? :colondollar:

January 2009. :colonhash:
Original post by ombtom
January 2009. :colonhash:

Better start praying to the Edexcel gods now then...
Reply 13
Original post by jamestg
Better start praying to the Edexcel gods now then...

Fortunately M1 is in the past for me.:tongue:
Original post by ombtom
Fortunately M1 is in the past for me.:tongue:

Please share your wisdom for M1

Spoiler

Reply 15
Original post by jamestg
Please share your wisdom for M1

Spoiler

Message me whenever you need some help. M1 can be difficult as there are so many new concepts, but once you get your head around them, the questions become extremely generic and it's fine. :smile:
Original post by ombtom
Message me whenever you need some help. M1 can be difficult as there are so many new concepts, but once you get your head around them, the questions become extremely generic and it's fine. :smile:

Thank you!

I'll probably have to message you tomorrow about a pulley question :redface:
Reply 17
Original post by jamestg
Thank you!

I'll probably have to message you tomorrow about a pulley question :redface:

Mmmmm yes please :colondollar:
Reply 18
I wonder if there has ever been an 1800/1800 in triple maths
R3.jpg
Its not easy by any means. Firstly you obviously have to know absolutely every bit of content you can know. Secondly, you have to practice practice and practice some more. Personally I practiced by just doing virtually every past paper but I also did some of them in challenging ways, like for c1 for example I would try and do the paper quickly and then in the exam when I had another hour more than I would normally it would feel easier. For the exam itself, i have several recommendatioms. Firstly, where possible learn how to do a question in more than 1 way. If you can do a question using 2 different methods and get the same answer than unless you've done something very weird than your answer is right. Secondly, lwarn how to use your calculator to check answers to trig questions, integrals etc etc. Lastly, no matter how much you prepare you will get stuck. For me persinally the best way of getting over this is ti take a step back from the question, and almost have the arrogance that you've done almost every question so no matter what they can ask you've done a similar question, you just have to work out which method you've done before you need to use. That way you can remain calm and hopefully you'll then be able to answer the question. Hope that helped somewhat

Quick Reply

Latest