The Student Room Group

Am I good enough for Oxbridge? Proving it here.

I'm aiming for A*A*A* to make up for my rather mediocre to poor BCD grades that I currently hold in the subjects in question.
They are Biology, Chemistry and Further Mathematics respectively.

While A*A*A* would be nice, I need only A*A*A to meet my offer for Cambridge so if time-management continues to be an issue, I will concentrate on Further Maths and Chemistry. I'm concentrating on those for my A*s because I'd need 94% in Bio to get an A* as I only have a B in the A2 CW. I need only get a B in either of the exams to get an A over all in Bio so for this reason it's of a lower priority. But I will try my best with them all :biggrin:.

April Easter break is crazy past paper season so I will be trying to definitely be past paper then by the latest.

Previous Academics

June Modules

Context for Cambridge offer in lieu of bad grades

Slow bro's inspiring story
The first of many posts expressing their incredulity at my Cambridge offer
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I'm aiming for A*A*A* to make up for my rather mediocre to poor BCD grades that I currently hold in the subjects in question.

I'll edit in my Study Plan. And will do a weekly target check.

While A*A*A* would be nice, I need only A*A*A to meet my offer for Cambridge so if time-management continues to be an issue, I will concentrate on Further Maths and Chemistry. I'm concentrating on those for my A*s because I'd need 94% in Bio to get an A* as I only have a B in the A2 CW. I need only get a B in either of the exams to get an A over all in Bio so for this reason it's of a lower priority. But I will try my best with them all :biggrin:.

April Easter break is crazy past paper season so I will be trying to definitely be past paper then by the latest.

The revision must start now
parties are all cancelled
With the correct amount of dedication, you'll have no trouble in meeting your offer :thumbsup:

Self-belief is key! :yep:
Original post by TeeEm

In my case, it's (re)learning for the interim. Revision will be later.

I'll edit in my Study Plan. And will do a weekly target check.

I don't want to offend or anything because a Cambridge offer is absolutely amazing but how did you get one with BCD AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You've already done the hard bit (getting an offer), there's nothing to stop you now :sexface:
Original post by TeeEm

Well (re)learning in my case but yes!

Original post by Indeterminate
With the correct amount of dedication, you'll have no trouble in meeting your offer :thumbsup:

Self-belief is key! :yep:

Thanks.
But it's just going to be hard work. And no more TPIT and hard problem threads to depress me :tongue:. Now's not the time to feel incompetant.

Original post by frances98
I don't want to offend or anything because a Cambridge offer is absolutely amazing but how did you get one with BCD AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I interview really well. Must be the glasses.
Reply 7
No more gym
100% revision till end of exams
Reply 8

Then time management will not be an issue
g7.jpg
Reply 9
Well (re)learning in my case but yes!

Thanks.
But it's just going to be hard work. And no more TPIT and hard problem threads to depress me :tongue:. Now's not the time to feel incompetant.

I interview really well. Must be the glasses.

Must be the hair surely
Good luck!!!:smile: Also if you don't mind me asking what did you get for your GCSEs and what course did you apply for?? Sorry just curious :h:
Best of luck! :h:
My method of revision for Biology and Chemistry is read and do in chapter questions and end of chapter exam questions. I've also printed out old spec questions for each topic for awhile. Further Maths will bear more thought but for now I'm doing the harder questions of each in chapter exercise then most of the mixed exercise. I will try to find a way to incorporate Bockston and Chandler questions and @TeeEm questions.

Week 1
Chemistry
Module 5
Rates (topics .1-.5) in chapters + 8 old spec questions
Equilibrium (topics .6-.7) in chapters + 4 old spec questions
Acid and bases (topics .8-.15) in chapters + 8 old spec questions

Biology
Populations in chapters + 8 old spec questions
ATP, Photosynthesis in chapters + 8 old spec questions
Respiration in chapters + 8 old spec questions

Further Mathematics
Start and complete the 60 question review exercise in M2 book on Projectiles, Centres of masses and Work energy Power
Complete Matrices chapter in Fp3 and make a start on Vector chapter getting to the middle exercise, if possible.

My week will be Wed-Tue I think. I'm starting late this week - obviously.
I may do my plan up to week 4 in the OP but I cba rn and there are more important things to do :wink:.

Original post by TeeEm
Then time management will not be an issue
g7.jpg

Yea, I have to work my ft job but I see people at my workplace balance that, kids and post-graduate study so that's inspiring.

Original post by Rftra
No more gym100% revision till end of exams

Unfortunately no :frown:. As much as I despise the place, I have to go. The endorphins will help and it will positively help my body confidence and self-esteem.
(edited 8 years ago)
In to watch :h:

What are the exams that you have in May? :holmes:
BCD and cambridge offer fuaaaaarkkkk

what is the course ?
Original post by snickercell
Good luck!!!:smile: Also if you don't mind me asking what did you get for your GCSEs and what course did you apply for?? Sorry just curious :h:

My GCSEs are 5A3B2C1D

My conditional offer was the exception, not the rule. Extenuating circumstances + good AS + supportive reference + decent interview performance.
Original post by Slowbro93
In to watch :h:

What are the exams that you have in May? :holmes:

Further Mathematics (a pretty balanced profile. No 3 or higher level applied unit. I considered M3 because I despise both D1 and S2 but it doesn't seem wise)
FP2
FP3
S2
M2
D1

Biology
Bio 4
Bio 5

Chemistry
F324
F325

Original post by Tabstercat
BCD and cambridge offer ****

what is the course ?

Well I had ABCCD :tongue:. I did A level maths in years 11 and 12 :holmes:. ASs in Chemistry, Biology and Music in year 12 which were As. A2s in those as well as a full A level in FM in year 13. Year 13 was a disaster.

The Natural Sciences Tripos
Biological
(edited 8 years ago)
Further Mathematics (a pretty balanced profile. No 3 or higher level applied unit. I considered M3 because I despise both D1 and S2 but it doesn't seem wise)
FP2
FP3
S2
M2
D1

Biology
Bio 4
Bio 5

Chemistry
F324
F325

Well I had ABCCD :tongue:. I did A level maths in years 11 and 12 :holmes:. ASs in Chemistry, Biology and Music in year 12 which were As. A2s in those as well as a full A level in FM in year 13. Year 13 was a disaster.

The Natural Sciences Tripos
Biological though

Which one of those are retakes? Personally, unless you are a seriously quick writer I would be inclined to avoid D1 at all costs. It's possible to do really well in S2 as it's a few key concepts that you can practice. In terms of Fp2 and Fp3, the content isn't too great but they can really trip up people. Have you considered doing S3 as opposed to doing D1?

Can't help with the other two :tongue:
Good Luck!!!! You are certainly good enough if you managed to get an offer :smile:
Original post by Slowbro93
Which one of those are retakes? Personally, unless you are a seriously quick writer I would be inclined to avoid D1 at all costs. It's possible to do really well in S2 as it's a few key concepts that you can practice. In terms of Fp2 and Fp3, the content isn't too great but they can really trip up people. Have you considered doing S3 as opposed to doing D1?

Can't help with the other two :tongue:

All of them :tongue:. They were the modules I took in '14 plus Fp1 which I have 94 in. I was originally meant to be self studying D1, M2 and S2 as the applied class clashed with music and I refused to drop anything. I didn't and kind of did this cram attempt in the weeks/days before hand to varying degrees of failure.

Spoiler

That's what you get for cramming. I think I tried reading D1 the day off or day before. Anyway, new beginnings! Fp2 surprised me. I did no papers outside of class but I had gotten an A* scrape in the mock before so thought that making it to the occasional pure math class was paying off. Clearly not. I remember predicting 68/75 or so in the real exam so was a shocker. Fp3 was about right. I missed a lot of lessons but most of it made sense and wasn't conceptually difficult.

S2 will require practice, yes! I've not considered S3, no. I've already made my entries but I'll look at the spec description this weekend. @Robbie242 has said it's easy but I don't trust those that do STEP.

And thank you for checking me out :h:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest