The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Surrey vs Sussex (physics)

Hi everyone!
I've applied to study Physics at both Surrey and Sussex, and have had an offer from Surrey for AAB and an unconditional from Sussex (only counts if i make them my firm, if I make them my insurance then an offer for AAB applies).
Surrey was always my first choice, but this unconditional from Sussex has put a lot of things into perspective.
Sussex is much more financially supportive in terms of bursary, and an unconditional offer would take some (not all) pressure off during exam time. Surrey I believe has the slight edge on Sussex in terms of prospects, teaching and training. It also seems to edge above Sussex, just barely, in the league tables in most cases (physics included). But in areas such as student satisfaction and post graduate prospects, there's not much in it.
I think that I can meet the requirements to get into Surrey (in my first year i got AAB) but its a risk i'm unsure about taking. Especially because if i make Surrey my firm choice, i don't have an unconditional from Sussex to fall back on.
All in all, both of them are fantastic universities. I've spent more time at Sussex (summer school, spending time with family that study there etc) and i really do like it there.
I'm really leaning towards Sussex at the moment, but any responses that might give me new factors to think about in all this would be really appreciated :smile:
It's odd, its such a nice problem to have when I think about it.
Thanks in advance!
The main issue my daughter had at Sussex was the cost vs quality of the accommodation, Some of the older blocks (East Slope and Park Village aren't pretty) the newer ones are nice but more expensive than equivalent blocks at say Lancaster

However it is a still a definite possibility due to the physics department feel and research.

So look at the course composition that each offer (labs, projects, optionals research)

Tough choice, and really I am sure you will do fine at whichever you choose
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
I was in a similar position last year, but I was applying for mathematics but the departments occupy the same building. I eventually decided on Sussex as after visiting both I felt that the Sussex department was much more welcoming. They really want their students be involved in the subject whilst they are at the University. They also offer a number of opportunities to do some undergraduate research during the summer break.

As you can tell I am pretty biased but if you have any questions about the Mathematical and Physical Sciences school, feel free to ask.
Original post by tatherton13
I was in a similar position last year, but I was applying for mathematics but the departments occupy the same building. I eventually decided on Sussex as after visiting both I felt that the Sussex department was much more welcoming. They really want their students be involved in the subject whilst they are at the University. They also offer a number of opportunities to do some undergraduate research during the summer break.

As you can tell I am pretty biased but if you have any questions about the Mathematical and Physical Sciences school, feel free to ask.

Hi

I have applied (and got offers) from two Physics courses at Sussex. I was wondering what the gender ratios are at Sussex within this department? I know that in this subject it tends to be mainly boys and as a girl I do not want to be in a tiny minority!

Thanks.
Original post by Francesca2212
Hi

I have applied (and got offers) from two Physics courses at Sussex. I was wondering what the gender ratios are at Sussex within this department? I know that in this subject it tends to be mainly boys and as a girl I do not want to be in a tiny minority!

Thanks.

Without sounding misogynistic, if you want to be in an even split, go for life sci, english, or psychology. Believe me, engineering and physics have very few females on the course. It will be very very male heavy wherever you go.
Hi

Thanks.

I think there's a pretty reasonable number of girls studying physics at Sussex. And I never heard any misogyny or ridiculous stereotypes from the guys on my course (which was a change from my A Level physics class).

At the current time you will almost certainly find a large gender difference in all physics departments across the country. But Sussex is definitely welcoming and the students and staff are generally pretty awesome.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I think there's a pretty reasonable number of girls studying physics at Sussex. And I never heard any misogyny or ridiculous stereotypes from the guys on my course (which was a change from my A Level physics class).

At the current time you will almost certainly find a large gender difference in all physics departments across the country. But Sussex is definitely welcoming and the students and staff are generally pretty awesome.

Okay, that's great. Thank you!
Sussex offer a Physics research placement degree where you can completely research during the summer. The grade requirements are quite a bit higher compared to the other Physics courses. Does anyone know anything more about this (I do have an offer for it) but am unsure whether it is worth getting the grades for? Is it actually helpful and how exactly does it work?
Sussex offer a Physics research placement degree where you can completely research during the summer. The grade requirements are quite a bit higher compared to the other Physics courses. Does anyone know anything more about this (I do have an offer for it) but am unsure whether it is worth getting the grades for? Is it actually helpful and how exactly does it work?

The research placement is great. You spend part of your summers working within one of the research teams at Sussex. Most people stick with the same research group from the summer after first year all the way to 4th year project which means that although you won't get to do anything really significant in the first placement, you build up to contributing to proper research and I know some people actually get their names on published research because of the work they've done in their placements. It's great to give you an idea of what research is like and whether a PhD is right for you. If you accept the offer for the research placement course and don't get the grades (but meet the offer for the MPhys) then although they don't technically have to give you a place, I know loads of people who applied for it but missed the grades but got on the the standard course because they met the grades for that and it's identical except for the summer placements. There are certain percentage grades you need to get each year to continue with the placements and they are much higher than passing grades but if you don't meet the standard then all that will happen is you just continue with the standard degree.

Another great option is working for Summer School in the summers after years 2 and 3. This would clash with placements so you can't do both but if you work at Summer School you are a TA for students who come to learn some undergrad physics for the summer to get their credits for their home uni courses.
I went to about 10 open days with my daughter. Sussex was my favourite physics department (I know that counts for zip) for a lot of the reasons stated.
Didn't go to Surrey however so its not terribly useful to this thread.
The accommodation is not cheap compared to equivalent offerings elsewhere tho and some are downright grotty
Hi

Thanks.

I don't know the exact split unfortunately, but I'll see if I can find out. From what I can tell there can't be more 15-20 women on the physics course but the Maths course is split about 60-40 so there are plenty of women in the School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences. As I am friends with the Maths student rep I know they are working on creating PhD funding specifically aimed at keeping women in Physica and Mathematics.

Secondly regarding the research placement course, I am about to transfer into it from the bachelors. To get onto the course you are required to maintain a 70+ average, then in about March the lectures release a list of projects that are available. You then reach out to the supervisor and then it's their decision. Tis is at least how it works for maths but I imagine it's very similar for physics.
Original post by tatherton13
I don't know the exact split unfortunately, but I'll see if I can find out. From what I can tell there can't be more 15-20 women on the physics course but the Maths course is split about 60-40 so there are plenty of women in the School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences. As I am friends with the Maths student rep I know they are working on creating PhD funding specifically aimed at keeping women in Physica and Mathematics.

Secondly regarding the research placement course, I am about to transfer into it from the bachelors. To get onto the course you are required to maintain a 70+ average, then in about March the lectures release a list of projects that are available. You then reach out to the supervisor and then it's their decision. Tis is at least how it works for maths but I imagine it's very similar for physics.

Okay that's quite a good gender split compared to other universities. And that's great about the research programme, sounds really good.

Thanks
Original post by SmallTownGirl
The research placement is great. You spend part of your summers working within one of the research teams at Sussex. Most people stick with the same research group from the summer after first year all the way to 4th year project which means that although you won't get to do anything really significant in the first placement, you build up to contributing to proper research and I know some people actually get their names on published research because of the work they've done in their placements. It's great to give you an idea of what research is like and whether a PhD is right for you. If you accept the offer for the research placement course and don't get the grades (but meet the offer for the MPhys) then although they don't technically have to give you a place, I know loads of people who applied for it but missed the grades but got on the the standard course because they met the grades for that and it's identical except for the summer placements. There are certain percentage grades you need to get each year to continue with the placements and they are much higher than passing grades but if you don't meet the standard then all that will happen is you just continue with the standard degree.

Another great option is working for Summer School in the summers after years 2 and 3. This would clash with placements so you can't do both but if you work at Summer School you are a TA for students who come to learn some undergrad physics for the summer to get their credits for their home uni courses.

The research placement seems great, definitely glad i applied for the course now. In my offer letter they did say that if I fail to get the grades they will automatically consider me to see if I have the grades for the normal MPhys degree so that's a bonus too. And the summer school is definitely something I'll think about, I hadn't heard of it before.

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest