The Student Room Group

Second Year Finance

Hi I'm in my first year at uni, and I read that you need to re-apply for student finance each year. If this is true then when should I re-apply and when would I receive the maintenance loan.
I'm starting to worry because I'm looking for accommodation and I've been given an offer but the contract starts in July and so I don't know if I can sign the contract because I might not have any money to pay rent.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by pwookie
Hi I'm in my first year at uni, and I read that you need to re-apply for student finance each year. If this is true then when should I re-apply and when would I receive the maintenance loan.
I'm starting to worry because I'm looking for accommodation and I've been given an offer but the contract starts in July and so I don't know if I can sign the contr6act because I might not have any money to pay rent.

Thank you.

You do need to reapply every year however after first year it is simple to do and you don't have to send off all your evidence again. You won't be able to reapply yet as it is too early

Every year you get three payments which are usually in september/October, january and April. So you should get one more payment this year in April then you won't get any more money til you start attending second year. You can view your payments for this year on your SFE account to see how much you will get. If you have to pay rent starting July then make sure you have the means to pay for it out of your April payment (unless your parents will pay or you have a job etc). Don't sign a contract until you know you can pay the rent for it.
You need to apply around the end of February. You should, as with first year, get your first payment 3 days after you enrol.
Reply 3
The third SF payment in your second year is designed to help support you over the summer, so this will give you a little extra. However, many students avoid rental contracts starting before September, precisely because that means they may be paying rent on a place where they don't live for two months.

Talk to your Student Union's Housing-Accommodation officer for advice. My undergrad uni had a list of local rental agents and one of the criteria they listed was whether contracts started before September.

And *never* sign a rental agreement if there's any risk that you might not be able to pay it. Private sector housing contracts are written to be legally difficult/impossible to get out of and the agent/landlord won't care that you can't afford it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending