The Student Room Group

Higher Geography CfE 2015/2016

Scroll to see replies

I actually feel quite confident about the exam as I've revised quite a lot and now I'm just doing past papers. How does everyone else feel about the exam?

My teacher has said that it's very likely that soils will come up as they haven't been put in a new higher paper yet, so it's pretty likely. Glacial deposition, erosion or land use conflicts is another prediction and malaria. Would be great if malaria was a 10 mark question.

My weaknesses are probably hydrosphere and atmospheric circulation which came up last year, but I'm still trying trying to remember it all.
Reply 41
I think Biosphere will definitely come up but I feel like it won't be Brown Earth since that was in the Specimen Paper.

If Atmosphere does come up, I think it'll be ocean currents or ITCZ. Atmosphere was in the Spec. and 2015 Papers though so I feel like it may go to make way for Biosphere.

Lithosphere, I expect depositional (probably Glaciation) and possibly land use conflicts.

Hydrosphere and Coasts are my weaknesses.
i need some help to am take higher geography to and would like help, although its more about the study stress and the fact there are so many topics so could you help thanks :smile:
Original post by Robinson301115
i need some help to am take higher geography to and would like help, although its more about the study stress and the fact there are so many topics so could you help thanks :smile:

There is quite a lot of topics, however if you break it up and focus on what should come up then it's a lot more manageable.

My school gave us booklets that have a topic list with aims set by the SQA on questions and what they can ask e.g. in rural the only things that can come up are the impact and management of rural land desertification, so no introduction type stuff is needed.
Is anyone revising from the Leckie and Leckie book alone? My jotter notes are quite patchy (partly my fault, partly teacher's fault) but I'm paranoid the revision guide isn't comprehensive enough (like the How to Pass book).
Original post by emma_georgia998
Is anyone revising from the Leckie and Leckie book alone? My jotter notes are quite patchy (partly my fault, partly teacher's fault) but I'm paranoid the revision guide isn't comprehensive enough (like the How to Pass book).

That book looks a lot better than the How to Pass which is awful. You can see how well your notes are if you do past papers and then mark them. The mark schemes are a good indication of the sorts of detail an answer requires. I'm not revising from any revision guides, only using my class notes and we got a revision booklet which has an a page for every single topic.
Original post by emma_georgia998

This is all I am using as well as the hodder Gibson geography model paper book x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ashleymacleod
That book looks a lot better than the How to Pass which is awful. You can see how well your notes are if you do past papers and then mark them. The mark schemes are a good indication of the sorts of detail an answer requires. I'm not revising from any revision guides, only using my class notes and we got a revision booklet which has an a page for every single topic.

Okay thanks, getting past paper book today... Bit late I know 😁
Original post by molly221
This is all I am using as well as the hodder Gibson geography model paper book x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okey doke, the course specifications online were very vague about what you have to know and I've found the Leckie and Leckie book super helpful x
Original post by ashleymacleod
There is quite a lot of topics, however if you break it up and focus on what should come up then it's a lot more manageable.

My school gave us booklets that have a topic list with aims set by the SQA on questions and what they can ask e.g. in rural the only things that can come up are the impact and management of rural land desertification, so no introduction type stuff is needed.

What about factors which lead to desertification like soil and wind erosion?
Original post by Mystery.
What about factors which lead to desertification like soil and wind erosion?

My teacher said you don't need to learn them because they aren't in the statements for the exam produced by the SQA.

We were taught the processes for soil and wind erosion and the causes of desertification, however my teacher told us that they won't be in the exam and that they were just background information. There are no questions in the specimen, exemplar or practice papers on it. That topic should cover effects of desertification and the management strategies and their effectiveness.

In the SQA course assessment specification it says under rural 'The impact and management of rural land degradation related to arainforest or semi-arid area.'
http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/CASHGeography.pdf

I'm guessing this is right, but if anyone has anything else to add then feel free to.
Reply 51
hi everyone, I really need a reliable answer to this so any help would be really great;
I struggle with physical geography, I prefer human and I'm generally better at the human side, my question is about the formations which could come up; say the factors influencing the formation of a soil came up, would a formation question still come up for either glaciation or coasts?
Original post by tiff4ny
hi everyone, I really need a reliable answer to this so any help would be really great;
I struggle with physical geography, I prefer human and I'm generally better at the human side, my question is about the formations which could come up; say the factors influencing the formation of a soil came up, would a formation question still come up for either glaciation or coasts?

Yeah the formation question could come up however i believe it will be a glacier one as the 2015 exam paper has 2 coastal formations and the SQA are obliged to question the whole course as quickly as possible, so yes both can and probably will as physical has 4 main topics and generally only 3 come up so my guess would be yes however make sure you study everything to be sure.
It would be so good if there were more past papers because I've done them all and the 4 practice papers I got in a book :/
Reply 54
How's everyone feeling for Friday? :smile:
Original post by ROC10

So unprepared due to English tomorrow

What about you
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
So unprepared due to English tomorrow. What about you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ROC10

I feel pretty prepared as this is my first exam and I've sort of not revised for my other subjects as much oops.

I've been over things I hate like hydrosphere, but I'm still wishing that it doesn't come up :/
Original post by ROC10

Posted from TSR Mobile

Freaking out tbh :'( I have English tomorrow and Human Biology on Monday so haven't spent as much time as I should have on geo.
Reply 59
So unprepared due to English tomorrow

What about you
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm feeling okay but I do have my weaker areas, such as Hydrosphere and Biosphere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending