The Student Room Group

Higher Geography CfE 2015/2016

I thought I'd create this because I haven't found a thread for this/

So to all the Geographers, how do think the course is going?

If you need any help I'll be happily to help and I'm sure many others will do too!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ruthikins
I thought I'd create this because I haven't found a thread for this/

So to all the Geographers, how do think the course is going?

If you need any help I'll be happily to help and I'm sure many others will do too!

Im currently in 5th year doing Higher Mod and RMPS and was thinking of crashing Higher Geography next year do you think it is possible to crash it without doing it previously? Obviously I know it won't be easy, no higher is, but with hard work would it be realistic do you think?
Reply 2
Original post by scottishgirl163
Im currently in 5th year doing Higher Mod and RMPS and was thinking of crashing Higher Geography next year do you think it is possible to crash it without doing it previously? Obviously I know it won't be easy, no higher is, but with hard work would it be realistic do you think?

Hello I'm a 5th year too! woo haha ^.^ In my opinion, It's absolutely possible to do so. It's very similar to National 5 only there is more case studies to memorise in the Higher Course. The physical side (Unit 2) is not similar to National 5 at all, so far I've not used my National 5 knowledge one bit so you'll be at the same level as others who have done N5 - however it does depend on your school. In my school we don't do anything on Natural Hazards/Disasters and I was so saddened by this :frown: But other than that the Physical Side is always going to be new stuff, but you'll be doing a LOT of memorising formations ^.^ In my opinion, Physical Geography is the best! Ok Unit 1 and Unit 2 are on the Human side of Geography (what me and my friends call 'common sense') but you'll need to be good at memorising random figures in your case studies when writing out your answers in exams. It's possible though, especially since you're doing Modern Studies. In those Units you are going to learn about Transport/Housing/Health/Rural/Malaria etc. ^.^ Most stuff you'll get the hang of really easily ^.^ Honestly, you'll love Geography! It's one of my favorite subjects ^.^
I'm crashing higher geography this year and so far I've actually really enjoyed it and I wished that I took it before. I got an A in my prelim which I was quite surprised with. However, the physical section is definitely my weakness. I got 10/20 in that section because two questions that came up were ones that I really wasn't confident with. I got 19/20 for the human section though which I find fairly easy to revise.
Original post by scottishgirl163

I crashed it got an A both in prelim and final exam and report... it's a great higher and you will develop skills from doing your other social sciences making it easier for you. Good luck
I've got the prelim tomorrow :/ Not feeling that confident as I haven't really got statistics etc memorised. :/
Reply 6
Original post by ashleymacleod
I'm crashing higher geography this year and so far I've actually really enjoyed it and I wished that I took it before. I got an A in my prelim which I was quite surprised with. However, the physical section is definitely my weakness. I got 10/20 in that section because two questions that came up were ones that I really wasn't confident with. I got 19/20 for the human section though which I find fairly easy to revise.

Well done!! ^.^ awww the Physical Section is my favourite bit so yea my best :biggrin: But so is the human side... I just prefer the Physical side ^.^
Reply 7
Original post by emma_georgia998
I've got the prelim tomorrow :/ Not feeling that confident as I haven't really got statistics etc memorised. :/

Good Luck!! ^.^ Some questions might not need you to add figures but even without them (although they would boost your mark) you can still aim to get a pass ^.^
Good Luck!! ^.^ Some questions might not need you to add figures but even without them (although they would boost your mark) you can still aim to get a pass ^.^

Thank you:biggrin: I need to get an A in geography which is why I'm stressing so much over it!
Reply 9
Thank you:biggrin: I need to get an A in geography which is why I'm stressing so much over it!

Aww I believe in you!!! ^.^ Hahah me too but they are only Prelims :smile: they just show you what you need to work on for the final exam ^.^ So try not to stress over it ^.^
Aww I believe in you!!! ^.^ Hahah me too but they are only Prelims :smile: they just show you what you need to work on for the final exam ^.^ So try not to stress over it ^.^

Haha thank you! :smile: Yup I'm going to try not stress about it!
Reply 11
Haha thank you! :smile: Yup I'm going to try not stress about it!

How did it go?? ^.^
Reply 12
Hello fellow higher geographers:biggrin:
Quick tips for the geography exam, doesn't matter if its cfe or not. Get your hands on some past papers and memorise the answers. Most of the notes teachers give you are helpful, but not concise enough to write in the exam under timed conditions if you want good marks. You don't have too much time to write excess stuff if you are missing the main points. Its a really just a simple case of writing exactly what the marker wants to see, and since they follow sqa guidelines, they have to give you marks. I did this last year on old Higher Geography and got a good grade, so good luck!

Ps: You still have to revise your case studies though...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I was just wondering how much of the course everyone has covered. :smile:

(We have done almost everything; we are just doing Hydrosphere now and once that's finished we'll have covered the whole course.)
How did it go?? ^.^

Just saw this now! I got a a low A! So chuffed!
Original post by ROC10
I was just wondering how much of the course everyone has covered. :smile:

(We have done almost everything; we are just doing Hydrosphere now and once that's finished we'll have covered the whole course.)

We've finished physical geo, and will be finishing human geo in the next week. After that it's just the global issues unit and we're done :biggrin:
Reply 16
We've finished physical geo, and will be finishing human geo in the next week. After that it's just the global issues unit and we're done :biggrin:

I'm guessing your school must have went into a lot of detail with each topic since you haven't covered as much of the topics as we have. We're just going over them all again now and finishing off Hydropshere.

Have you done your prelim yet? :smile:
Original post by ROC10
I'm guessing your school must have went into a lot of detail with each topic since you haven't covered as much of the topics as we have. We're just going over them all again now and finishing off Hydropshere.

Have you done your prelim yet? :smile:

Yup, we went into each topic with so much detail! Wasn't expecting to finish any of my subjects so soon, especially geo! So glad to have nearly finished it though :smile:
Yup a couple weeks ago - it went well! Have you?
Reply 18
Yup, we went into each topic with so much detail! Wasn't expecting to finish any of my subjects so soon, especially geo! So glad to have nearly finished it though :smile:
Yup a couple weeks ago - it went well! Have you?

Yes mine was back in late January. It went well too thanks! :biggrin:
Have people finished the course now? We finished the course about 2 weeks before the easter holidays and we still have 3 weeks left after the holidays for revision.

I bought the How to Pass book at the start of the year and it has been useless, probably been used about twice. It doesn't even contain any questions.

I've started revising for the exam already and there is so many things to remember :0

Quick Reply

Latest