The Student Room Group

how can true racial equality be achieved in racist Britain?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
i dont hate whites i hate the system we live in which has been built to primarily benefit them

How is it? What examples can you give of the British system benefitting whites over non-whites?
not as much as america sure, but it certainly isnt free of racist beliefs
i dont hate whites i hate the system we live in which has been built to primarily benefit them

Nowhere is free of racist beliefs, are you honestly that delusional? People are free to think what they like even if it is ignorant etc. A bit like you are now, with your unfounded and quite frankly bigoted opinion that you are somehow structurally biased against and that whites have a racial privilege in life. Get over yourself, the title of this thread says it all.
Reply 62
Britain is NOT racist!
arguments around discomfort for the way things are met with "go back home then". Not only is this insensitive it ignores the reason why many BME foreigners come here in the first place. to get back the resources that were stolen from them.

Perhaps if you had come along 120 years ago you might have a legitimate argument there, but the Britain that colonialism built doesn't exist anymore, you can thank the First and Second World Wars for that, whatever material wealth the empire bought us was wiped out in those wars. We had to rebuild our entire society from the bottom and it was primarily white British men and women who did it (with the aid of a small number of migrants from former British colonies, the majority of whom went on to become well integrated, loyal and productive citizens).

Long story short, we owe nothing to BME foreigners today. Frankly they should be a damn sight more grateful we even allow them the opportunity to live in the country our grandparents built for us.
Original post by Greenlaner
Perhaps if you had come along 120 years ago you might have a legitimate argument there, but the Britain that colonialism built doesn't exist anymore, you can thank the First and Second World Wars for that, whatever material wealth the empire bought us was wiped out in those wars. We had to rebuild our entire society from the bottom and it was primarily white British men and women who did it (with the aid of a small number of migrants from former British colonies, the majority of whom went on to become well integrated, loyal and productive citizens).

Long story short, we owe nothing to BME foreigners today. Frankly they should be a damn sight more grateful we even allow them the opportunity to live in the country our grandparents built for us.

Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad

As for the help given after the world wars, that's what my post was directed at. It's well known and was taught in schools for fifty or so years after the end of the second world war.
There are a lot of uneducated people, yes, but as a general rule the vast majority of British people are aware of the aforementioned contributions. To suggest otherwise would imply there was a unified sweeping-under-the-carpet of the truth by the government and British historians. That just isn't true.

The thief of bagdad...this is an example of the sort of bull**** attitude that I have deal with all the time. I was waiting for the thread to get long enough that people would stop reading the thread from the beginning and I knew it would come sooner or later. I should be "grateful" apparently to be "allowed" to live in the country that I was born in. The contributions that BME people made to Britain (such as my black grandparents) are regarded to be negligible at best by main White brits.

Well, tough ****. This society is 90% white, was built by white people, so of course it's going to primarily cater to white people's interests. Go to almost any Sub-Saharan African nation and it will be the interest's of black people that are primarily catered to. The same is true in Japan, China, India, Iran etc. It's an entirely natural phenomenon that the majority demographic will usually be the most well catered to in any given society. But I can tell you that white Western countries tend to be far more accommodating to minority groups (often to our own detriment) than any of the other nations I have mentioned.

If it's really so awful for you here, then you probably should just move to one of the many countries on Earth that don't cater to white people's interests. How does Zimbabwe strike your fancy?
Original post by Eveiebaby
The thief of bagdad...this is an example of the sort of bull**** attitude that I have deal with all the time. I was waiting for the thread to get long enough that people would stop reading the thread from the beginning and I knew it would come sooner or later. I should be "grateful" apparently to be "allowed" to live in the country that I was born in. The contributions that BME people made to Britain (such as my black grandparents) are regarded to be negligible at best by main White brits.

I think the most upsetting aspect of the discrimination you face is that it is likely to be most common from people your own age (dickheads on this forum, for example). This is particularly worrying as it's the older generations that are supposed to be the less enlightened on such issues.
I maintain that the contributions we are discussing are widely known and celebrated, but I accept that this may not be the case at some point in the not too distant future. Sad times if so.
Well, tough ****. This society is 90% white, was built by white people

Woah Woah Woah. Rookie error. Britain's former empire allowed the UK to accumulate wealth to build at all. Do you really think that the UK with it's own little islands would have the resources on it's own to become so powerful and rich?

Don't undermine the contributions of those countries now independent but formerly claimed by the UK in terms of labour, expertise and materials.
Woah Woah Woah. Rookie error. Britain's former empire allowed the UK to accumulate wealth to build at all. Do you really think that the UK with it's own little islands would have the resources on it's own to become so powerful and rich?

Don't undermine the contributions of those countries now independent but formerly claimed by the UK in terms of labour, expertise and materials.

Not at all. Which is why today the UK is just a shadow of it's former power and wealth. As I said earlier. The Britain we live in today is for all intents and purposes a completely different country, and it was built primarily by the post-WW2 generation.
Not at all. Which is why today the UK is just a shadow of it's former power and wealth. As I said earlier. The Britain we live in today is for all intents and purposes a completely different country, and it was built primarily by the post-WW2 generation.

You're exaggerating about the extensiveness of war related building/infrastructure destruction. It nowhere near required the amount of rebuilding that would have considered the UK a completely different country. I'll dig out a few sources addressing the extent and distribution of war damage that I saw a few months ago if I can re-find them.

However, personally, my grandfather was directly connected to the first wave of Caribbeans invited to the UK to help with the Post WW2 rebuilding of roads as an engineer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes. Resources don't make countries rich; good institutions and people do. Britain was the first country in the world to adopt the institutions necessary for rapid industrial development, and therefore for a time was the most powerful. It was this discrepancy in power that allowed Britain to conquer a large empire, rather than the empire that allowed Britain to acquire a large discrepancy in power. The empire was always a trailing indicator of Britian's strength.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
What is a 'True recognition'?

well if people stop pretending that the actions and effects of the past have been rectified and nullified, that would be a start
Original post by similarBlank
How is it? What examples can you give of the British system benefitting whites over non-whites?

Neutrality. whites are seen as neutral.whites are seen as standard. issues that occur with hiring "foreign" names, beauty standards, more likely to be presumed innocent by authorities, easier assimilation into communities, less likely to be questioned on their level of britishness, investment in communities, getting into industries either through stable environments, resources or friends in high places because the system benefits white brits
Reply 73
People NEED to stop judging based on colour.its that simple. Judge on somebody bad actions.

We cant choice or change skin colour but we can choice & change our actions. People that judgd based on colour are just... Idoit,lack of education or common sense.
From a black female.
Original post by raq123
People NEED to stop judging based on colour.its that simple. Judge on somebody bad actions.

We cant choice or change skin colour but we can choice & change our actions. People that judgd based on colour are just... Idoit,lack of education or common sense.
From a black female.

Well lucky, in the work place this is not allowed.
It is illegal. You cannot discriminate by sex, skin colour or sexuality. It is enshrined in law. If you have had this sort of experience in work you can take the organisation or person to court.
Original post by Observatory
You're pretty much denying the existence of any universal moral principles. If a law that explicitly discriminates in favour of non-whites is illegitimate in your eyes because it is "informed by whiteness", which seemingly means that all laws and precedents determined by whites have not been erased and purged from history, it's difficult to see what would satisfy you. Total extermination of whites, or at least total destruction of any culture created by white people? In that case what you are advocating is civil war and genocide. On the whole "go back home" (or at least "go somewhere else":wink: is the right solution for people like you; there are black Nazi countries already in existence in the world, such as Zimbabwe, where you can live how you want without hurting others. People who fundamentally incapable of living peacefully with other groups should not try and should not be encouraged to try. Of course not all non-whites think like you, and shouldn't be tarred with the same brush.

Of course not all laws are bad. Britain can be a wonderful place, but that doesnt change its issue with colonial beliefs in law. BME judges may personally feel that brits living in the falkands shouldnt be able to do so, especially if those judges were subjected to "go home" calls or other similar statements during their life.Nevertheless they would have to follow precedent and talk about queen's prerogative or whatever and rule in favour of brits staying there. At the end of the day we're subjects and we have to follow the rules even if it affects our places of origin, even if black guy ran IMF he could not get rid of african debt, despite that debt being forced on to his country of origin through exploitative methods. All this due to the past we all want to forget. this is how institutional racism persists.

killing all whites is stupid,wrong and morbid

Zimbabwe is the result of colonialism.
Reply 76
Original post by zionpower
Is not The "Go back home" politics for those who came illegally or as student but don't want to leave the UK?

It is almost normal for British people to react that way. In Angola, Portuguese have been asked to leave the country too. I don't see racism that much in the UK as in France,Spain or Italy where its really hard to live.

you from angola? I am.
Original post by silverbolt
Rome
Greece
Egypt
Persia
Incas
and more

All had thier slave trades and every ethnicity have felt it over the centuries. Not to mention your talk of th African slave trade compltely negates the simple truth that it was Black Africans who not only held slaves but sold them in the first place

the issue with black slavery isnt that it happened per se. it's that by our skin colour we cannot remove ourselves (or the system wont let us remove ourselves) from that association. the slaves of the empires and countries you mentioned eventually assimilated into society without slave status or were given the space to build their own idenitty and wealth. The fact that western countries rose on the backs of slaves and did not let them inherent weatlh or status after slavery ended for so long is the reason why slave trades you mentioned above compared to black slavery are not as bad

black slaves selling black slaves is *******s. yes some sold, many fought, others had a gun put to their head, but at the end of the day the reality is is that for the small number that did willingly and freely sold slaves, they had no idea of the brutality whites would inflict on them. It is impossible to know if they would still do so with hindsight, but because the slavery practiced among blacks was very different to that that america and britain were to do against africans, its hard to see that they would consent to that.
Original post by THE EPIC Panda
Well lucky, in the work place this is not allowed.
It is illegal. You cannot discriminate by sex, skin colour or sexuality. It is enshrined in law. If you have had this sort of experience in work you can take the organisation or person to court.

You do realise that it can be extremely difficult to sue someone successfully for discrimination because often they know that they cannot be seen to be openly racist and so give other "reasons" to circumvent the law. God this is so naive. Letting agents sometimes do the same thing. You think that legislation effectively protects against racism....oh dear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I lived in Japan for 3 years back in the 1980`s there were hardly any Westerners there.There probably still aren`t. Little children would stop and stare at me in the street and shout "Gaijin". It means round eyed person. I had to learn the language. Very few people spoke any English; I wasn`t in a large city. I had to eat Japanese food as there was only one shop nearby that didn`t sell things like bread and milk etc. When going into any building I HAD to take my shoes off,even inside my own apartment. I didn`t ,not for one nano second think I was being discriminated against or that the Japanese people were being racist. I was part of a minority. I didn`t stamp my feet and have a hissy fit because of it though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending