The Student Room Group

what to do for Chemical Engineering? (year 12)

I'm thinking now and I literally have nothing to talk about on any sort of personal statement. So what extra-curriculars can I do for chemical engineering? At the moment I have a masterclass and will be doing the physics challenge but I want to do a summer school but i think they have heavy gcse requirements :frown:. Can anyone recommend any books and such? Thanks.
Original post by Dysprosium
I'm thinking now and I literally have nothing to talk about on any sort of personal statement. So what extra-curriculars can I do for chemical engineering? At the moment I have a masterclass and will be doing the physics challenge but I want to do a summer school but i think they have heavy gcse requirements :frown:. Can anyone recommend any books and such? Thanks.

You could listen to one of the free online lectures, this will aloow you to get a feeling for the content and difficultyof the course and something to talk about as well. You can read a chemistry book on university level ... you can do an extended project at school or ask a teacher, whether he/she can show you some additional experiments. Ideally your teacher will have done a chemistry degree and then will be able to advise you on books an topics you can look at. You can also look at which companies hire chemical engineers and do research about the products. This will give you something to talk about and let you show, that you know, what you will do in that degree.

University pages can help, too. Just look around, no matter, whether that university is one you might attend or not: http://www.ceb.cam.ac.uk/undergraduates/prospective-students/1a-information/reading-list
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey there!

So I know this is much later after this thread was first published, but I have made a video for the best books to read for a ChemEng personal statement (https://youtu.be/eporH5Gw1_8) and I hope this helps anyone who still has this question! This would be really good to talk about 👍

Best,

ChemEngWeekly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending