The Student Room Group

Are the ribosomes connected to the rough endoplasmic reticulum 80S or 70S ribosomes?

Are the ribosomes connected to the rough endoplasmic reticulum 80S or 70S ribosomes?

Thanks for your help! :smile:
Eukaryotes is 80 S
Reply 2
All eukaryotic ribosomes are 80s, regardless of whether they're free floating or bound to the ER. 70s is specific to prokarya (i.e. bacteria).
Ohh ok thanks was just a little confused as 70S ribosomes are found in the organelles like mitochondria so I was wondering if they were attached to the ER whether they'd be 70S or still 80S, I understand now thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by funky386
Ohh ok thanks was just a little confused as 70S ribosomes are found in the organelles like mitochondria so I was wondering if they were attached to the ER whether they'd be 70S or still 80S, I understand now thanks :smile:

Oh, yeah. Mitochondria are a special case. It's thought that millions of years ago, prokaryotic cells were taken up into eukaryotic cells, and then formed chloroplasts and mitochondria. That's why a lot of their features are quite "bacterial-like" :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending