The Student Room Group

MSc Global Mental Health - KCL or Uni of Glasgow

I am trying to decide between the two.

For me class size is really important. Any help will be appreciated. Also, anyone here who is also applying to this course?

What else should I be considering when making my decision?

Oh, and I am Akriti, I am 27 years and I am from India.
I've got an offer from KCL for the same course. The KCL course is much, much better, in terms of you get to study at two institutions [including the world-renowned LSHTM]. London also has the Centre of Global Mental Health, and many of the top researchers in the field teach at KCL/LSHTM.
I am leaning very heavily towards KCL/LSHTM.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of educational background do you come from?
Original post by Akriti.Mehta
I am leaning very heavily towards KCL/LSHTM.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of educational background do you come from?

Definitely KCL/LSHTM seems best if you really want to get into the GMH field. I spent a long time comparing it to Glasgow and other Public Health degrees [with a mental health focus] in the US, but nothing compares.

Background wise, I am a little odd. I study Medicine in the UK and I'm taking a year out of my studies to do the MSc.
(edited 8 years ago)
I did similar research but I restricted myself to one year Masters programmes, so that ruled out most of US for me. Another point of hesitation for me when it comes to KCL/LSHTM is the cost difference (both tuition and living expenses). I got the news of the offer yesterday morning and I don't think it's quite sunk in yet.

Anyway, hopefully, I shall see you in September. Though, I would like to contact you through this forum if something comes up. I hope that's okay?
I did similar research but I restricted myself to one year Masters programmes, so that ruled out most of US for me. Another point of hesitation for me when it comes to KCL/LSHTM is the cost difference (both tuition and living expenses). I got the news of the offer yesterday morning and I don't think it's quite sunk in yet.

Anyway, hopefully, I shall see you in September. Though, I would like to contact you through this forum if something comes up. I hope that's okay?

Yeah, the costs of the course and living costs are very high unfortunately. Glasgow would be much, much cheaper. What are you thinking for accommodation in London?

Congratulations! I will hopefully see you in September if you choose to accept! I need to fulfil my conditions of passing this year so I have still a bit more to do before I get too excited, although I paid the deposit a few days ago so it is starting to feel more real. Yes, if you've got questions definitely - would be good to stay in touch before the course.
I too have a hurdle or two to cross. The English proficiency exam for starters (IELTS) and then of course, the visa.

I have not given too much thought to accommodation yet. I looked at some of the residences that KCL has on its website. In an ideal world, there would be a place to live that would be walking distance from both LSHTM and the KCL. But since classes would be, presumably, at the Denmark Hill campus, I guess either the Champion Hill residence that is close to that or a residence like Goodenough College that is close to LSHTM but further away from KCL.
When I read through what I just wrote, it seems like I have given it quite a bit of thought. I guess between the application and the offer, at particularly optimistic moments, I spent some time on Google Maps and such.
I too have a hurdle or two to cross. The English proficiency exam for starters (IELTS) and then of course, the visa.

I have not given too much thought to accommodation yet. I looked at some of the residences that KCL has on its website. In an ideal world, there would be a place to live that would be walking distance from both LSHTM and the KCL. But since classes would be, presumably, at the Denmark Hill campus, I guess either the Champion Hill residence that is close to that or a residence like Goodenough College that is close to LSHTM but further away from KCL.
When I read through what I just wrote, it seems like I have given it quite a bit of thought. I guess between the application and the offer, at particularly optimistic moments, I spent some time on Google Maps and such.

Good luck with the IELTS! From our brief talking here doesn't seem like you will have much of an issue.

Yes, ideally somewhere near both LSHTM and Denmark Hill. Just a shame that that's the most expensive part of London, haha! I might be tempted to find somewhere North, nearer to LSHTM, since it seems we might be spending more of our time then. What's your background, if you don't mind me asking?
I have a masters degree in clinical psychology. For a variety of reasons, I did not pursue a career as a psychotherapist. For the last three years I have been designing workshops for students, parents and children on topics related to stress, health education, sex education, life skills.
It took me a while to figure out exactly what I wanted to do with my life.
Where in the UK are you from?
I'm studying at the University of Edinburgh, and I was born in Scotland so looking forward to a drastic change in scenery.
Hi Akriti did you end up doing the MSc Global mental health at KCL?? I am interested in applying but cant find much information on it. If you did, how did you find the course? thanks :smile:
You should be able to find somewhere cheap to live near Denmark Hill. North London is generally pricier than South London to live in. Denmark Hill is not a fancy area at all and you should certainly be able to find somewhere cheap an easy journey from there, e.g. Peckham . Just steer clear of Dulwich as it's much more expensive. I live a couple of miles away so know the area.

Original post by spacepirate-James
Good luck with the IELTS! From our brief talking here doesn't seem like you will have much of an issue.

Yes, ideally somewhere near both LSHTM and Denmark Hill. Just a shame that that's the most expensive part of London, haha! I might be tempted to find somewhere North, nearer to LSHTM, since it seems we might be spending more of our time then. What's your background, if you don't mind me asking?
Hi Akriti. How are you enjoying the program? I have been accepted for 2019 but debating this or the UCL Masters in Global Health and Development. Is it very quant research focused? Were you able to pursue the dissertation you wanted? What are the negatives of the program? Many thanks!

Hi, I have submitted my application for 2018-2019 KCL Global Mental Health in last two week. It may be a bit late, but just wondering how long it takes to hear back from the admission team from your experience?

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending