The Student Room Group

Taking your horse to university

Just wondering if anyone has taken their horse and put them on livery nearby to the university they're studying at away from home? If you have, how have you found it?

Scroll to see replies

Haven't done this personally but I'd say if you can afford it then no question about it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
One does not have a horse so one has not had this issue. One wonders if the move would be welcomed by the horse.
Reply 3
Original post by missytwinpeaks
Haven't done this personally but I'd say if you can afford it then no question about it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess picking a few shifts at work up could cover the costs fine for part livery. It's just all going to be about balancing time!
Original post by Jessicalw23
Just wondering if anyone has taken their horse and put them on livery nearby to the university they're studying at away from home? If you have, how have you found it?

Only on TSR is this a question...
Cut costs and keep it in your room.
Reply 6
Original post by Tillybop
Only on TSR is this a question...

And not even a troll.

An amazing insight for people like me on how those "on the other side" live.

Taking your horse to uni!!

Sorry OP, I know this was a useless post. I'm just shocked.
Lots of unis have an equestrian society and competition teams so taking your horse could help you be active in those. Undergrad degrees aren't so ridiculously time consuming that you wouldn't have time to care for and ride your horse every day. Try find a place with a flood lit arena though because over winter months you'll be in uni for the daylight hours most days. I didn't take a horse but I did uni with a toddler, from helping out with my mum's ponies, livestock are way easier than kids.
Reply 8
Original post by Tpos
And not even a troll.

An amazing insight for people like me on how those "on the other side" live.

Taking your horse to uni!!

Sorry OP, I know this was a useless post. I'm just shocked.

I know you will not believe this, but I have seen this question asked here before. At one time I remember because of the horse meat in food scandal....
Reply 9
For you people commenting on how the other side live. I live on the side where I work 36-48 hours a week and I'm studying a full time course.

I just wanted to know if anyone was in this situation and how they found it.
Original post by Quilverine
Lots of unis have an equestrian society and competition teams so taking your horse could help you be active in those. Undergrad degrees aren't so ridiculously time consuming that you wouldn't have time to care for and ride your horse every day. Try find a place with a flood lit arena though because over winter months you'll be in uni for the daylight hours most days. I didn't take a horse but I did uni with a toddler, from helping out with my mum's ponies, livestock are way easier than kids.

Thank you 🙂

A number of universities have their own livery stables and others have arrangements with local yards.
Reply 12
Original post by meenu89
I know you will not believe this, but I have seen this question asked here before. At one time I remember because of the horse meat in food scandal....

Wow
Reply 13
Original post by barnetlad
One does not have a horse so one has not had this issue. One wonders if the move would be welcomed by the horse.

One agrees. One does not even know somebody who has money to own a horse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Taking your horse doesn't need to carry any issues with it. Lots of people are wary of it due to costs, whether they have the time and other reasons. I'd compare the prices of your university's livery (if this option is available) with various yards in close proximity of your campus. Once you have done this see if your uni has a riding club, if they do you may be able to get discounted livery costs if they use your horse for lessons (providing it's suitable). You could also get a sharer to help with the costs and managing time. If you don't use your uni's facilities and find somewhere else to keep your horse then see if you use your horse in lessons there (again, providing it's suitable), again get a sharer and see if you can get a part time job with them to reduce your livery costs. I plan to do this when I go to uni next year. I'm hoping to get a job at a local racing yard, work there part time, keep my horse there and get a sharer. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Jellybeanz383
Taking your horse doesn't need to carry any issues with it. Lots of people are wary of it due to costs, whether they have the time and other reasons. I'd compare the prices of your university's livery (if this option is available) with various yards in close proximity of your campus. Once you have done this see if your uni has a riding club, if they do you may be able to get discounted livery costs if they use your horse for lessons (providing it's suitable). You could also get a sharer to help with the costs and managing time. If you don't use your uni's facilities and find somewhere else to keep your horse then see if you use your horse in lessons there (again, providing it's suitable), again get a sharer and see if you can get a part time job with them to reduce your livery costs. I plan to do this when I go to uni next year. I'm hoping to get a job at a local racing yard, work there part time, keep my horse there and get a sharer. Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks, will definitely have to look into these options!
Thanks, will definitely have to look into these options!

No worries. One of my friends took both of their horses to uni and she hasn't had any problems at all.
does anyone have any suggestions for livery around Durham?
I know a couple of people that took their horse to uni with them. One of them was doing an equine course at a college that catered for this, but the problem that the other person had was during holidays. Unless you will stay in your uni town during the vacation would you have somewhere to keep your horse in your home town during the summer? Would you have to continue to pay the other livery yard to keep your space for the following term.

I've been seriously thinking about the same thing! I'm going to be doing a zoology course in september and don't have a clue whether to take him with me (and for those talking about 'how the other side live', actually, I live in a town which is pretty much all council estate, go to state school, and have a horse. That's where all of my money goes, can't afford anything else! It's just about making a decision to pursue something you love and have/look after someone you love :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest