The Student Room Group

What revision strategies do you employ?

I tend to read and do questions.

I find note taking a bit tedious and pretty highlighted pages do nothing for me. They're just pretty and that's it imho.

In my college days, I found it useful to study with others as testing helped solidify knowledge and explaining things to others forced me to understand the topics.

I'm self studying this year but am thinking of using a flashcard app or program like Anki to test me on definitions and concepts for Biology and Chemistry. Could spend a bit of time every half week adding to the flashcards.

What do you do? Do you have any creative strategies?
(edited 8 years ago)
Practice questions on topics that I'm unsure about, then do all the past papers I can find.

I'm having trouble learning definitions at the moment, I tend to type up the definitions as a list and highlight then copy them out while saying them aloud until I remember them. Although this method takes quite a while sometimes. I'd be interested to know if you have a faster way? :redface:
Reply 2
Stare into books helplessly, praying something goes in.
Brainscape is a good flashcard app!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JakeThomasLee
Practice questions on topics that I'm unsure about, then do all the past papers I can find.

I'm having trouble learning definitions at the moment, I tend to type up the definitions as a list and highlight then copy them out while saying them aloud until I remember them. Although this method takes quite a while sometimes. I'd be interested to know if you have a faster way? :redface:

I'm blessed with a decent memory so I usually look at the list and remember it. Periodically looking incase I forget. I know this isn't helpful .

I think flashcards are your next best bet. @Smaug123 strongly recommends anki.
Funny-Exam-Answers-111.jpg
Original post by Euclidean

Anki electronic flashcards. It uses spaced repetition and is free

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by number23
Anki electronic flashcards. It uses spaced repetition and is free

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think it works? I'm not convinced although I haven't used them for a long period of time, only around a week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I like to employ the outsourcing method.

Find the lowest priced worker you can in the world and outsource revision to them, my time is too valuable.
Reply 9
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Funny-Exam-Answers-111.jpg

Is that the key to gainz? U smart
Original post by Euclidean
Do you think it works? I'm not convinced although I haven't used them for a long period of time, only around a week

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do believe it works. I mean, if you dont know the card you will just keep getting shown it. And if you know it really well you wont get shown it for a long . So it works to make sure you know it. Spaced repetition is scientifically backed through memory curves etc.

At least I would recommend filtering your content to key facts and then putting these into anki.

Also, in general, finding connections between the different ideas you have to study works well too. Think diagrams and ask questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg
Stare into books helplessly, praying something goes in.

I just skip the book step and start to pray that I remember even a little.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Here's my strategy for chemistry and maths:
First of all I read a whole topic. I look at the key definitions first and try to remember them and write them down without looking at the page. Then I read the next chapter again, and I write down everything I remember in my own words in a sort of chronological way without looking at the page again. I repeat this for every pararagraph making sure I have wrote down every point. This helps with both memorising and understanding compared to writing notes willy nilly. I do all the summary questions and mark my answers. That's pretty much it :smile:
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I tend to read and do questions.

I find note taking a bit tedious and pretty highlighted pages do nothing for me. They're just pretty and that's it imho.

In my college days, I found it useful to study with others as testing helped solidify knowledge and explaining things to others forced me to understand the topics.

I'm self studying this year but am thinking of using a flashcard app or program like Anki to test me on definitions and concepts for Biology and Chemistry. Could spend a bit of time every half week adding to the flashcards.

What do you do? Do you have any creative strategies?

I made a thread on this before! hope it helps :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3896157

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending