The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge Postgraduate Offer Holders Thread

Hi guys!

I thought it would be useful to have a thread for offer holders to chat about post-offer things, college allocation and funding being some examples.

I'm also sure it would help avoid tormenting those still waiting to hear back on the main Cambridge postgraduate application thread! :redface:

Congratulations on your offers and I hope you all meet your conditions for attendance! :biggrin:

Please note that this thread is for 2016 entry.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by omgwhat
Hi guys!

I thought it would be useful to have a thread for offer holders to chat about post-offer things, college allocation and funding being some examples.

I'm also sure it would help avoid tormenting those still waiting to hear back! :redface:

Congratulations on your offers and I hope you all meet your conditions for attendance! :biggrin:

Hey, I got accepted for the MPhil in Modern European History :banana:

I am just waiting to be allocated to a college - I picked St. John's and Christ's. Ooh also, the funding ranking meeting (from what I saw on the History meetings schedule for this term) is on the 3rd February... fingers crossed for everyone!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by elysium11

I am just waiting to be allocated to a college - I picked St. John's and Christ's. Ooh also, the funding ranking meeting is on the 3rd February... fingers crossed for everyone!

Oh - that's useful to know! Is that only for History or the whole postgraduate cohort?

I got offered a place for MPhil World History. :mmm: I'm so excited and genuinely still can't believe it haha! My application is still seeking colleges but I've heard it can take a long while.
Original post by omgwhat
Oh - that's useful to know! Is that only for History or the whole postgraduate cohort?

I got offered a place for MPhil World History. :mmm: I'm so excited and genuinely still can't believe it haha! My application is still seeking colleges but I've heard it can take a long while.

Congratulations! See the edit I made above, I'm not sure if that date is for everyone or just the Faculty of History. :smile:

I am just waiting to be allocated to a college - I picked St. John's and Christ's. Ooh also, the funding ranking meeting (from what I saw on the History meetings schedule for this term) is on the 3rd February... fingers crossed for everyone!

What are the conditions of your offer if you don't mind me asking?

Does Cambridge or Oxford ever offer a 2:1 or around 65%?
Original post by PostGrad221
What are the conditions of your offer if you don't mind me asking?Does Cambridge or Oxford ever offer a 2:1 or around 65%?

The academic condition is 67% minimum for the faculty of History. Academic requirements are specific to each department/faculty so it is best to check on the website of the faculty you are applying to :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ggggg123
Aaaaaand I've been accepted by Queens'!! Now to look it up. I know almost nothing about it except it's really pretty. Lol.

Anyone got any hot tips for me?!

Congrats! :biggrin:

How long did it take for you to get accepted to Queens'? This "how long" game sure is dangerous, haha. I'll certainly be checking CAMSIS less feverishly than before I got my offer anyway.
Original post by PostGrad221
What are the conditions of your offer if you don't mind me asking?

Does Cambridge or Oxford ever offer a 2:1 or around 65%?

I'm not sure of the percentage, but there are plenty of people who have 2:1s and are either offer holders or alumni/alumnae.
I have an offer for PGCE (guess that counts?)
Original post by TunaTunnel

Of course it counts! Congratulations :smile: what subject? And primary or secondary? How exciting!

Of course! :smile:
We should start a group on Facebook for people who have offers :smile:
Of course it counts! Congratulations :smile: what subject? And primary or secondary? How exciting!

Original post by Aceadria
Of course! :smile:

Secondary physics.

I put Trinity/Johns as my choices but I'm waiting to hear (and unlikely to get them, more likely to be put into Homerton.)

What about you guys?
Secondary physics.

I put Trinity/Johns as my choices but I'm waiting to hear (and unlikely to get them, more likely to be put into Homerton.)

What about you guys?

I picked Jesus College and got in. Liked the feel of it and how friendly everyone at Cambridge says students there are.
Less than a week!! I got my offer on UK Tuesday morning last week, and saw I'd been accepted into Queens UK Monday morning this week.

Everyone: what sort of accom are you going to go for? College or private? I'm thinking I'll go for Owlstone Croft, the postgrad hostel that Queens' has!

I don't think we pick at Jesus but accommodation does look pretty nice: http://mcr.jesus.cam.ac.uk/#servicesModal4

I really hope I get allocated Little Trinity, but I'm sure it's where everyone wants to be :frown:
Little Trinity looks gorgeous!!

From what I can gather at Queens', you put a preference, and they'll try to get you there. I think I'd prefer a big hostel over a flat, cause I've been flatting for like five years and feel like a change haha.

With you on this! Flats just feel very 'un-Cambridge', if you know what I mean? But can't complain! I'll be at Cambridge so I don't care where I sleep :wink:
Yeah, exactly.

...also I can't wait to not have to cook for myself 100% of the time. I love formal dinners and stuff and Queens' ones are BYO (which is hilarious to me, because BYOs here are messy dinners where everyone gets trashed and eats cheap food before going to town).

Hahaha! Absolutely!

Oh, so happy this is happening. Can't wait for October :smile:
Wooo! I have an offer for an MPhil in International Relations & Politics. I'm waiting on a college as well - I picked Queens' and Clare.

Very excited!!

First of all, congratulations! :smile: May I ask what the conditions for your offer are?
Reply 18
Also received an offer for a PhD in Land Economy, oddly not through an email but just by checking the online platform. Also no word on funding yet, does anyone know when the funding meetings are and when we're likely to find out? (for the Cambridge Trust and/or Gates Foundation)
Reply 19
Original post by Aceadria
We should start a group on Facebook for people who have offers :smile:

I just made one! This is the address: https://www.facebook.com/groups/postgraduates2016/

I think that in order to keep it strictly offer holders, we should require a confirmation of their TSR name? We don't want random creeps on there! xD
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending