The Student Room Group

Urgent help C4 trig addition formulae & integration

Hi I'm really stuck on this particular question:

Evaluate exactly the integral:

Integral sign with limits 2pi/3 and pi, then the expression is 1/2sin(theta-(pi/3)).
I'm thinking of converting it into a log expression like ln 2sin(theta-(pi/3)) ???

Would appreciate some help please!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jordanwu
Hi I'm really stuck on this particular question:

Evaluate exactly the integral:

Integral sign with limits 2pi/3 and pi, then the expression is 1/2sin(theta-(pi/3)).
I'm thinking of converting it into a log expression like ln 2sin(theta-(pi/3)) ???

Would appreciate some help please!

The derivative of things like sin(x-pi/2), you just need to apply the chain rule and you get cos(x-pi/2).

Does that help you with your integral? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi I don't see how differentiating can help with the integral :/ I know 2sin(theta-(pi/3)) differentiates to 2cos(theta-(pi/3)) but can't see what to do next..
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
The derivative of things like sin(x-pi/2), you just need to apply the chain rule and you get cos(x-pi/2).

Does that help you with your integral? :smile:

Hi I don't see how differentiating can help with the integral :/ I know 2sin(theta-(pi/3)) differentiates to 2cos(theta-(pi/3)) but can't see what to do next..

Differentiating and integrating are the reverse of eachother. It's supposed to be an indirect hint. :smile:

Using what you've just said, what do you think (1/2) * sin(theta-(pi/3)) integrates to?
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
Differentiating and integrating are the reverse of eachother. It's supposed to be an indirect hint. :smile:

Using what you've just said, what do you think (1/2) * sin(theta-(pi/3)) integrates to?

1/2 * (-cos(theta-(pi/3))?? Sin integrates to -cos right?
1/2 * (-cos(theta-(pi/3))?? Sin integrates to -cos right?

Yes, well done.
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, well done.

So I just sub in the limits into that, simplify then I'm done?
So I just sub in the limits into that, simplify then I'm done?

You've got your expression for the integral so I don't see why not :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by SeanFM
You've got your expression for the integral so I don't see why not :tongue:

Ok thanks for the help, much appreciated :smile:
Ok thanks for the help, much appreciated :smile:

No worries.
Reply 11
Original post by SeanFM
No worries.

Hey sorry to bother you again but can 1/2 be taken out of the integral sign? As the expression is 1/(2*sin(theta-(pi/3)))
Hey sorry to bother you again but can 1/2 be taken out of the integral sign? As the expression is 1/(2*sin(theta-(pi/3)))

Ah, it is a case of ambiguous equations then :tongue: it wasn't clear that 1/2sin(theta-(pi/3)) is 1/(2*sin(theta-(pi/3)).

1/2 can be taken out to give (1/2) * the integral of (1/(sin(theta-(pi/3)))).

What would that integral be?
Reply 13
Original post by SeanFM
Ah, it is a case of ambiguous equations then :tongue: it wasn't clear that 1/2sin(theta-(pi/3)) is 1/(2*sin(theta-(pi/3)).

Isn't it ln when you've integrating 1/something?
Reply 14
Original post by SeanFM

Or would it be 1/2 * (cos(theta-(pi/3))?
Isn't it ln when you've integrating 1/something?

That is what it seems like you are integrating, but it is unclear.

Please use latex if you can, or post a picture of the question, or type it out in a more understandable way :redface: as I do not know what the question is.
Reply 16
Original post by SeanFM
That is what it seems like you are integrating, but it is unclear.

Please use latex if you can, or post a picture of the question, or type it out in a more understandable way :redface: as I do not know what the question is.

image.jpg

Sorry about the shadow xD
image.jpg

Great :borat:

So yes, you can take the half outside of the integral and that leaves you with (1/sin(...)). What's the integral of that? :h:
Reply 18
image.jpg

total eclipse
Reply 19
image.jpg

You can write that as 122π/3πcosec(θπ3)dθ\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \int_{2\pi/3}^{\pi} \text{cosec}{\left(\theta - \frac{\pi}{3}\right)} \, \mathrm{d}\theta and then look in your formula book for what cosec x integrates to.

Quick Reply

Latest