The Student Room Group

How hard is A level Economics?

For my A levels, I have chosen the following combination:

Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Economics

As for Economics, I heard that it is relatively easy to achieve an A grade at the end of AS, where I plan to drop it. Therefore, taking Economics will allow me to focus strongly on the other 3 subjects without failing the neglected one.

For those who have taken Economics AS, could you tell me about the difficulty and work required to maintain an A grade, and whether it is in actual fact an 'easy' A level. Could you also recommend some easy A levels in replacement for Economics aside from Critical Thinking and General studies.

Thanks
There is nothing "easy" about A levels. I guess there are some A levels which may be less demanding, however that's minimalistic because the reality of A levels is that they're going to be demanding and will require work. Find something that interests you and use your skills. From this, find a subject you may ENJOY if you opt for a replacement. Plus, are you already studying AS subjects? I don't think it's wise to change them now. But if you're in Year 11 you have a bit of time. Get some advice from teachers too.
Loool less demanding , Is that a pun or wot
Reply 3
AS level econ is pretty easy to be honest.
Original post by stirkee
AS level econ is pretty easy to be honest.

Not everyone finds it easy. Many struggle but if you enjoy the subject it becomes easy to learn it.
Reply 5
Original post by keynes24
Not everyone finds it easy. Many struggle but if you enjoy the subject it becomes easy to learn it.

well I think that's true of every subject so it's not a particularly useful answer to the question haha (though I appreciate mine wasn't either)

I'd say that from my experience AS econ is fairly easy whether you enjoy it or not, frankly a fair amount of AS economics is just common sense!
Original post by stirkee
well I think that's true of every subject so it's not a particularly useful answer to the question haha (though I appreciate mine wasn't either)

I'd say that from my experience AS econ is fairly easy whether you enjoy it or not, frankly a fair amount of AS economics is just common sense!

I am just sharing my view. There are students struggling with it at AS or A2, it gets easier once you start enjoying it. there is some common sense but at AS is more to do with understanding of the theory and exam technique. Have you completed your A levels?
Prior knowledge + interest = good grade in AS Econ.

But don't let that fool you into thinking it's easy for everyone. It's not, and university level Econ is DEFINITELY not a soft subject.
Reply 8
Original post by keynes24
I am just sharing my view. There are students struggling with it at AS or A2, it gets easier once you start enjoying it. there is some common sense but at AS is more to do with understanding of the theory and exam technique. Have you completed your A levels?

Yes I have :smile:
I found it quite straight forward at a level. Plus the real world relevance of it helped.

the harder part of it was remembering exact definitions and topics w/ respected arguments....and the not so straight forward questions in past papers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending