The Student Room Group
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle

Ambleside, September 2016

Accepted an offer to study Woodland Ecology and Conservation at the Ambleside campus 2016. So, being the ubiquitously curious person I am, who else will be around? Im also hoping to get private accommodation, so it would be good to find some fellows that are thinking the same.

Scroll to see replies

Alright there, accepted my offer doing the same degree too! I cant wait. So yeah ill be around as well, Not sure about accommodation... it seems a little pricey in the halls for what you get. I like the cottages how nice are they ey. I'm thinking of going up to one of there open days... have you been?
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle
Reply 2
wehey, finally! Haha. Yeah the cottages do look pretty sweet and with a bit of luck, i can hopefully get one. Not too keen on the student accommodation either, i prefer the notion of having my own space and stuff. Aye, im driving down to the one in march, how about you?
Yeah I know what yous mean. You'll be going to the campus tour in march wont ye ive already been on one in October. probably going to the open day in June where you go for like a taster day like. Met one of the heads of the course it sounds ace cant wait. Not much of a night scene which I was worried about but there's a few places in Kendal.
Reply 4
Oh right, I see. Yeah ill head down to both then no doubt. I know i know, looking forward to starting the course so much now. And once this accommodation is sorted, ill be even more excited haha, have you applied for yours yet? Yeah, i was thinking that as well, but at least theres a train station within a short proximity and ill be bringing my car down hopefully. Also theres a few decent pubs ive heard.:u:
Reply 5
I'm studying forestry at Ambleside in September, campus looks good! :biggrin:. I've applied for my accommodation already, I assume the cottages come under standard student accommodation?
filled the accommodation form in just need to get it sent off. The cottages are under standard accommodation I believe... although I think I remember someone saying second years got first dibs on em.
Are you referring to Ambleside in the Lake District ?

please reply
Yeah I am
Original post by smurph232
Yeah I am

It's lovely up there, I own a lovely house up there by Hayes Garden World, surrounded by lovely views.

I am currently living in my other house that I own here in the North West
Grand spot like aint it, what are you studying at Ambleside?
Grand spot like aint it, what are you studying at Ambleside?

I'm not

I just love it up there, just don't be one of those vandals that once I go up to check on my house ( every month or so) to find it has been egged or window smashed
ah alright then... will stop myself from egg launching if I see your house
ah alright then... will stop myself from egg launching if I see your house

not saying I think it was you, it could have been anybody. it was last summer, we went to check on the house and the kitchen window was egged, yolk splattered everywhere and it was truly caked on, it just would not come off, we had to replace the window in the end, just because the egg wouldn't come off
Reply 14
haha well this conversation has certainly digressed on my absence. If i see anybody egging anything ill be sure to stop them i can assure you. Ive go the accommodation form to fill in but i could only find the student halls, think im going to have to take a trip down to find a private landlord. much efforts haha what accom did you end up choosing btw?
Original post by Alex8000
haha well this conversation has certainly digressed on my absence. If i see anybody egging anything ill be sure to stop them i can assure you. Ive go the accommodation form to fill in but i could only find the student halls, think im going to have to take a trip down to find a private landlord. much efforts haha what accom did you end up choosing btw?

it has

thank you
To anyone thinking of studying at ambleside. First priority is housing. The housing is scarce. Get your parents to get in contact with landlords on your behalf, find a house, get enough people then jump on it. The university is awful in terms of administration and housing at ambleside. The area is great and the lecturers are excellent.

From current 2nd year
Just completed the form. I talked to someone at ambleside and theres some new accommodation just been complete there en suite rooms apparently. I put en suite as my first choice but who knows if ill get one. Have you heard anything about accommodation?

Original post by Alex8000
The accommodation currently being built is still in it's early stages. so don't know if it will be ready for this september. You might have got a place in main halls. Even if you do have somewhere sorted for first year. You have to be quick to get somewhere for 2nd year as soon as possible do not and I stress this, do not leave it until after christmas. What ever private accommodation there is goes fast. The university has no obligation to house you for 2nd year and they will not go out of their way. So goodluck will be on placement next year so wish you luck with accommodation.
Reply 19
Original post by anonstudent22
The accommodation currently being built is still in it's early stages. so don't know if it will be ready for this september. You might have got a place in main halls. Even if you do have somewhere sorted for first year. You have to be quick to get somewhere for 2nd year as soon as possible do not and I stress this, do not leave it until after christmas. What ever private accommodation there is goes fast. The university has no obligation to house you for 2nd year and they will not go out of their way. So goodluck will be on placement next year so wish you luck with accommodation.

Ahh, ok. Thanks for the advice, are you studying there now then?

Quick Reply