The Student Room Group

Requirements to study?

I am looking to study Economics at Cambridge and on the UCAS website it says that you must have grades of A*AA, but when looking on the Cambridge website to study Economics it says that it is required to have A level mathematics, is there any leniancy on this?
You will need Mathematics to get in. It's an entry requirement at every college.

From what I have read on here, it's a very mathematically heavy degree. Further Mathematics is recommended for this reason. There are also some colleges that ask you to take a STEP exam.
Original post by BruhBru
I am looking to study Economics at Cambridge and on the UCAS website it says that you must have grades of A*AA, but when looking on the Cambridge website to study Economics it says that it is required to have A level mathematics, is there any leniency [sic] on this?

You could presumably have an equivalent to A-level Maths (e.g. IB or Pre-U Maths), but if you are doing A-levels you have to do Maths, and it would be very wise to do Further Maths as well. If you don't like maths, Cambridge Economics is definitely not for you. It's also worth that although the offer may technically be A*AA, most applicants will actually have 2 or more A*'s (and many will be doing 4 A-levels).
Reply 3
Original post by BruhBru
I am looking to study Economics at Cambridge and on the UCAS website it says that you must have grades of A*AA, but when looking on the Cambridge website to study Economics it says that it is required to have A level mathematics, is there any leniancy on this?

No, Maths A-Level or equivalent is required, and most also have FM too. It's a very maths heavy course.

Also, the typical offer at some colleges is now A*A*A and is likely to be that across the uni for the next cycle.

And, it's best to check the uni's own pages for the details - not just UCAS:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/economics

What A-levels are you doing? I think you might find most of the top unis require Maths for Economics

There might be alternative courses at Cambridge to consider though... e.g. HSPS, or Land Economy, or Law. If you are looking for a finance-related career you don't *need* an economics degree.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
No, Maths A-Level or equivalent is required, and most also have FM too. It's a very maths heavy course.

Also, the typical offer at some colleges is now A*A*A and is likely to be that across the uni for the next cycle.

And, it's best to check the uni's own pages for the details - not just UCAS:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/economics

What A-levels are you doing? I think you might find most of the top unis require Maths for Economics

There might be alternative courses at Cambridge to consider though... e.g. HSPS, or Land Economy, or Law. If you are looking for a finance-related career you don't *need* an economics degree.
Yeah I had being looking tonight and discovered because I am not studying maths I can't study economics at top uni's. I'm studying English Literature, History, Economics and Computer Science. What the degrees that are generally most accepted for a finance career?
Reply 5
Original post by BruhBru
Yeah I had being looking tonight and discovered because I am not studying maths I can't study economics at top uni's. I'm studying English Literature, History, Economics and Computer Science. What the degrees that are generally most accepted for a finance career?

By "finance" do you mean IB? If so your degree doesn't matter so much. See the ones I suggested in my earlier post. LandEc includes economics and law and could be a good one to consider. Or Law.

By the way, CompSci won't be an option either without Maths A-level.

The humanities are open to you though. History perhaps?
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
By "finance" do you mean IB? If so your degree doesn't matter so much. See the ones I suggested in my earlier post. LandEc includes economics and law and could be a good one to consider. Or Law.

By the way, CompSci won't be an option either without Maths A-level.

The humanities are open to you though. History perhaps?
Preferably IB, but any finance tbh. Do you know what LandEc is actually about and what you study during the course? Personally, I wish to study either economics or finance, but have always wanted to go to Oxford or Cambridge so History may be an option I take.
Reply 7
Original post by BruhBru
Preferably IB, but any finance tbh. Do you know what LandEc is actually about and what you study during the course? Personally, I wish to study either economics or finance, but have always wanted to go to Oxford or Cambridge so History may be an option I take.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/land-economy

But History would be absolutely fine for IB.

The main thing is to find a course you want to do, not a university you want to go to. It's course first, uni(s) 2nd...
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/land-economy

But History would be absolutely fine for IB.

The main thing is to find a course you want to do, not a university you want to go to. It's course first, uni(s) 2nd...
Thanks, in your opinion, would it be better to a get a degree in Land Economy from Cambridge or Finance from Manchester to try and get me into IB or Finance?
Reply 9
Original post by BruhBru
Thanks, in your opinion, would it be better to a get a degree in Land Economy from Cambridge or Finance from Manchester to try and get me into IB or Finance?

My opinion would be any Cambridge course > Manchester for IB, but let's see what an expert says: paging @Princepieman :wink:

(Assuming you can get the 2:1 or better)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BruhBru

I think for an equal degree class, Cambridge would have the edge.
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
My opinion would be any Cambridge course > Manchester for IB, but let's see what an expert says: paging @Princepieman :wink:

Thanks, I just asked PrincePieMan and he seemed to agree, probably a stupid question, but I have seen this posted here before, what does 2:1 mean?
Reply 12
Original post by sweeneyrod
I think for an equal degree class, Cambridge would have the edge.

Thanks, I genuinely believe that I could get an A*AA so it could be an option that I take,
Reply 13
Original post by BruhBru
Thanks, I just asked PrincePieMan and he seemed to agree, probably a stupid question, but I have seen this posted here before, what does 2:1 mean?

Class of degree
* First Class Honours = 1st
* Second Class Honours : Upper = 2:1 or II:i ("Two : One" )
* Second Class Honours : Lower = 2:2 or II:ii ("Two : Two" or a Desmond...)
* Third Class Honours = 3rd
* Ordinary : Pass
* Fail

Some companies filter job applicants so they only consider those with a 2:1 or better.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill

Going to a target uni (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Imperial) is always going to result in more interviews, ceteris paribus, than a non-target/barely semi-target. But of course, one could argue that if you do well (lead the finance soc, start and grow an organisation, get a first etc) at Manchester that you'd be able to overcome this bias.
Reply 15
Original post by Princepieman
Going to a target uni (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Imperial) is always going to result in more interviews, ceteris paribus, than a non-target/barely semi-target. But of course, one could argue that if you do well (lead the finance soc, start and grow an organisation, get a first etc) at Manchester that you'd be able to overcome this bias.

Thanks a lot for your help, I will consider going to one of the top unis and doing some sort of degree over a semi-target and doing a finance/economics degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending