The Student Room Group

RAF Fitness Test Help!

Hello,
I am currently in the application process of the RAF with a role and my stage coming up soon is my fitness test, so I would really appreciate the help of somebody could help me with a training schedule as such to be able to do
Run 1.5M in 11.11 minutes
20 press ups in 1 minute
35 sit ups in 1 minute
I've been doing my exercises but it doesn't seem to be doing anything so help would be great thank you!
Also I probably have about 3 weeks until the test
Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello Ryan,

First of all i would like to mention I am not a physical trainer or anything as such. However, I'm happy to try and help from personal experience. (Plus, I'm applying for the RAF very soon too!)

Ok, the 1.5M run in 11.11 minutes. What times have you been managing to do so far? Personally, I've been training like this: I ran the 1.5M in a park on a path without looking at a stopwatch and going at a pace that was a bit faster than my 'comfortable' pace (the pace at which I feel like I could run for a continued length of time) I took note of my time, and then took note of the 'pace' (e.g. 8 minutes a mile) (I find phone apps extremely useful) I then went to the gym to use the treadmill, and set it at something slightly higher than the pace I was running at in the park.
After feeling comfortable at said pace for the 11.11 minutes, I would speed up, get comfortable again, speed up.etc etc. Basically, I aimed at being able to run for 11.11 minutes at a pace of 7 minutes a mile moderately comfortably. I am still trying to improve upon it, but wanted to be comfortable, and know what the pace feels like when running so that I can find the rhythm when not on a treadmill since I'm unaware if the 1.5M run test will be conducted on a treadmill or not.

As for the press ups and sit ups, I personally have no method apart from practicing. I would maybe suggest something similar to the method I suggested for the run? E.g. How many can you comfortably do in a minute? Take a note, then try and improve on it by at least 1 every day. Even if you manage to do the required amount, try and keep improving on it. You've managed 30 press ups instead of 20? Go for 35! I read somewhere that there is the minimum pass bracket (the numbers you provided above), and then a higher 'green' number which is the exceptional or exceeds expectations bracket. PLEASE SOMEONE CORRECT IF INCORRECT

In regards to only having 3 weeks, I suggest training as often as possible, but don't over-do it! Don't want to go injuring yourself or over-exerting yourself so close to the date! Remember to let your body rest when it needs. Drink plenty of water (extremely important I find) and eat well (I'm a lover of pasta and rice) :biggrin:.

As I stated at the start, I am no personal trainer and I'm sure some people will probably read this and think 'what on earth is he doing/talking about'. If so, please feel free to correct my method or suggest a new one altogether! :biggrin: However, this has worked for me and I share it in the hope of helping someone else to achieve their RAF goals.

All the best and good luck!

Martin

P.S. What role are you applying for?
The press ups and sit ups - practice.

I apply simple maths to the 1.5 mile run (call it 2.4km!), and it probably easiest if you have access to a treadmill as you can specify a pace. Start at a comfortable pace - if you can manage 12kmh continuously that's a good start. You can then bring in a faster increment - 14kmh will easily pass the test - begin say doing 2km at 12kmh/400m at 14kmh. You can then increase the distance run at 14kmh over a few sessions. It shouldn't take too long to get to 1.2km@12kmh/1.2km@14kmh, which will be about (about...) the 11.11 pass standard. Then you can work on improving from there.

Works for me. I do the same to train for the beep test part of the RAFFT - the VO2 max science seems to work! If you want to stop at about 1.8km, keep going! It's good practice of having the willpower to pass the test even when you feel you can't!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Noitpure
I read somewhere that there is the minimum pass bracket (the numbers you provided above), and then a higher 'green' number which is the exceptional or exceeds expectations bracket. PLEASE SOMEONE CORRECT IF INCORRECT

Green is the basic pass level. Light blue is above average and dark blue is even better.

I wouldn't aim for a green pass though, because the chances of some of your press ups and sit ups being discounted is high. I remember during training that some of the lads thought they would easily pass but their form was all wrong and therefore only scraped through as half of their efforts were discounted. Don't just aim for the minimum level. Aim for the light blue and then at least you'll know you can definitely pass.
Reply 4
High Ryan,

I've personally been through the process myself. The fitness test in RAF doesn't require a 1.5mile run anymore. Aerobic endurance is now tested via a Multi-stage fitness test (bleep test) followed by the press-ups and sit-ups as you stated. The three tests are done in very close proximity to each other so there is a very good chance that the amount of press-ups you can do from fresh will be more than you will be able to do in the fitness test as the bleep test requires you to push yourself as far as you can go. You will feel very tired afterwards and will have just enough time to catch your breath and then you are straight in with the press-ups. The pass level varies with age and so does the light blue level too. For a 17-24 year old (not 100% sure on the upper age bracket) it is level 9.10 you need to reach to get green level and level 11.7 to get light blue.

The best advice for the fitness test is: DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE BLEEP TEST. It is incredibly draining when there's no pressure let alone when progression is on the line.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mike373
High Ryan,

I've personally been through the process myself. The fitness test in RAF doesn't require a 1.5mile run anymore. Aerobic endurance is now tested via a Multi-stage fitness test (bleep test) followed by the press-ups and sit-ups as you stated. The three tests are done in very close proximity to each other so there is a very good chance that the amount of press-ups you can do from fresh will be more than you will be able to do in the fitness test as the bleep test requires you to push yourself as far as you can go. You will feel very tired afterwards and will have just enough time to catch your breath and then you are straight in with the press-ups. The pass level varies with age and so does the light blue level too. For a 17-24 year old it is level 9.10 you need to reach to get green level and level 11.7 to get light blue.

The best advice for the fitness test is: DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE BLEEP TEST. It is incredibly draining when there's no pressure let alone when progression is on the line.

So it's just the press-ups, sit-ups, and the bleep test? Do you know what the pass and the next stage up counts are for the press-ups and sit-ups?
Reply 6
Original post by Mactotaur
So it's just the press-ups, sit-ups, and the bleep test? Do you know what the pass and the next stage up counts are for the press-ups and sit-ups?

Firstly, I was wrong about the age bracket. Its 17-29 years old.

Bleep test is 9.10 for green and 11.7 for light blue
Press-ups are 20 for green and 40 for light blue
Sit-ups are 35 for green and 41 for light blue
1.5 mile run or bleep test - the fitness level is still theoretically the same, so if you want to train and use the 2.4km run time as a base line you can practice (more easily than the MSFT) if you aim to exceed the same levels you'll be in a good place.

If they've stopped using the 2.4 km run for selection I'm not surprised. The MSFT is probably easier to manage for a large group and requires fewer treadmills!
Reply 8
Yhh thats it. The only way you are going to experience what the actual test is like though is to actually do the MSFT to the best of your ability followed by press ups 3 mins after and then sit ups another 3 mins after that.
The level you're at is easy to track and if you can improve a shuttle or two at a time then you'll be in good shape.
Reply 9
Just a word of caution when practicing press-ups and sit-ups. The PTIs who will test you at selection will also make sure you're doing the exercises in their correct form.

For press-ups, this is going down until your upper arm is perpendicular to the floor.

For sit-ups, it's hands on your temples, elbows to the top of the knees. No bucking of the hips and your shoulders have to come all the way back down.

I've seen candidates score 0 on exercises because the PTI hasn't liked their form. Make sure you're practicing them right from the start, there's no point in being able to smash out 40 half-rep press-ups.
Original post by Tommmo
For press-ups, this is going down until your upper arm is perpendicular to the floor.

Parallel.

Perpendicular would mean the upper arm is straight.
Original post by Mike373
High Ryan,

I've personally been through the process myself. The fitness test in RAF doesn't require a 1.5mile run anymore. Aerobic endurance is now tested via a Multi-stage fitness test (bleep test) followed by the press-ups and sit-ups as you stated. The three tests are done in very close proximity to each other so there is a very good chance that the amount of press-ups you can do from fresh will be more than you will be able to do in the fitness test as the bleep test requires you to push yourself as far as you can go. You will feel very tired afterwards and will have just enough time to catch your breath and then you are straight in with the press-ups. The pass level varies with age and so does the light blue level too. For a 17-24 year old (not 100% sure on the upper age bracket) it is level 9.10 you need to reach to get green level and level 11.7 to get light blue.

I have ltrally just been given my date and it is 2 weeks and when i was given the date i double cheacked what i needed to do and the 2.4 km run is still needed. i am going in NCO maybe diffrent for officers but i would say train and run the 2.4 km incase.
Original post by BLondecroft
I have ltrally just been given my date and it is 2 weeks and when i was given the date i double cheacked what i needed to do and the 2.4 km run is still needed. i am going in NCO maybe diffrent for officers but i would say train and run the 2.4 km incase.

Hi, this is my other account, I did my fitness test last week and I did my personal best with everything! I did my run in 10.58 minutes which I was pleased with but tonight I did it in 10.41 haha. Thanks for the help though :smile: honestly if you want this then the adrenaline will kick in and make you do it like for me! I never thought it would but it did! But still train in the mean time. If you need tips for running then ask :smile:
Hi there. Could you please give me some advice on the 2.4km run. My daughter started running a few months ago and has managed to run 2km in 13 minutes. However, she is currently struggling and is really beating herself up about this. I have told her to reduce the speed she is running at until she can build it up again but she feels these are backward steps, not forward.
She finishes uni in June/July of this year and wants to submit her application shortly after. She is worried that once her application is processed, her fitness test will come around and she wont be ready for the run.
Is there any advice you can offer.
Well I wouldn't worry about the fitness test suddenly coming around because I applied last October and I did my fitness test in February. But I was beating myself up about it because I fell ill and i couldn't do it in the time like before. Honestly the best thing is being able to run from start to finish without slowing down or stopping because then it's a morale boost for the next time, plus if you go down a speed and do the run without stopping/slowing down; then it's a foundation from where to work from. I had to do mine in 11.11 minutes but on the day I did it in 10.58.
The way I do it is start on the foundation pace which for me was 12.5kmh and run for 5.30 minutes. Up the pace .5 quicker and run to 7.30 minutes, then up it again .5 and run to 9.15 minutes. When you hit 10 minutes then it's just go all out for me because of my time but I'd say up it by another .5 and when she has a minute left; just go all out and up the speed by as much as you can (they like seeing the effort like that). But if she keeps doing that without stopping then it does pay off honestly. I started doing mine at 14.00 minutes and now I can do it at 10.50 minutes. Also a good thing to do it a to record the running results on your phone or something to see the progress. Press ups and sit ups, you just got to keep doing them. Hope it's helped! :smile:

Ryan
Thank you. I will pass that information on. The sit ups and press ups she isnt stressing about, just the run time.
Go on YouTube and type in RAF regiment gunner fitness tests and there's a folder with 4 videos in and watch them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Brilliant...........thanks for your reply
Listen mate, it isn't hard at all. If you aren't a lazy bastard you should pass it.
Now stop wasting people's time with these shite threads.
There is no need to have that sort of attitude. The information that I have been given has been priceless and I am grateful. So to me, the threads are not shite!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest