The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2017 University Applicants

Hello lovelies!

Call me eager but I thought I'd start this thread early to see if there is anyone else out there already planning to start University in 2017!

Here's a few questions for you all to answer to kick off the conversation!

What can we call you?
What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you start Uni?
What do you plan on studying at Uni?
Which Uni's are you looking at applying to?
If you want to say, how old are you?
Anything else you want to say about your plans or dreams?

I look forward to hearing from you guys!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What can we call you?

Kristina

What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you start Uni?

I have applied to study an Access to Higher Education course in Humanities. I do also have A-Levels in Biology, Chemistry, German and History but the grades aren't as high as I would have liked due to a few personal issues.

Law LLB

Bangor, Brighton, Exeter, Kent and Sussex

About to turn 21, so I will be 22 when I start Uni.

It's been a long haul to get to this point and I am so nervous about doing the Access course but hopefully it'll go well!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
What can we call you?

Edward D

No idea :frown:

Hopefully Economics if I can get the entry requirements I need.

I've always been extremely ambitious and it's gotten me great places however I really want to go back and study now that I've got that ambition but i have no good GCSEs and no A-Levels whatsoever. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
What can we call you?
Katie

I have my college interview on Wednesday for access to HE social science

Politics and sociology

Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool , Newcastle (hopefully will get offers)

Only 19 not really mature will be 20 when I start uni
I am so excited to go back to education after feeling held back since leaving high school at 16!
What can we call you?

Daisy

A Level English Literature, History and Drama
Extended Project Qualification
Trinity Guildhall Shakespeare Gold Award

English

I have an offer already from Cambridge (Wolfson College) for deferred 2017 entry.

(I also applied to York, Durham, Royal Holloway and Trinity St David's)

20, so I'll be 21 by 2017.

I'm just hoping that I can get the grades I need for Cambridge!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What can we call you?
Sarah

I'll be starting an Access to Medicine course at Stafford College in September.

Medicine

Leicester, Keele, Cardiff and Bristol

33 next month, so 34 if I manage to get accepted for 2017 entry.

I've wanted to become a doctor for quite a while, but giving up a pretty well paid (unrelated) career with mortgage and family responsibilities has been a daunting decision. I'm still not certain we will manage!
Ultimately, I'll never forgive myself if I don't do it, and I'm not getting any younger!
Fingers crossed!
What can we call you?
Ashley

Going to study Mathematics and Physics at Glasgow University's in-house access course

Physics

Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow...maybe Strathclyde and Heriot-Watt. Most likely hoping for Edinburgh or St Andrews as they are closest to me.

26, but will be 27 when I hopefully go to Uni.

Hoping this goes well as I also have a two year old and a mortgage/cars ect. Always been fascinated with science and should have pursued it a long time ago.
What can we call you?

Susie

Have applied to study the Access to Nursing course beginning in September.

Mental Health Nursing.

Haven't really thought about this yet. Perhaps York. And universities up in Scotland too. That's where my offers were from when I was 17.

Nope. Scared I've left this too late! :redface:
Reply 8
What can we call you?

Kanye West

Have completed a foundation course at Durham , currently taking A level maths and AS further maths (one year)

Economics or Land Economy

LSE, UCL and Cambridge (Land Economy)....do have a deferred place Durham for 2017 (because of the foundation course)

28 upon entry

I have always been interested in people and the societal infrastructure that affects us and the choices we make. That saying - "Money makes the world go round" i believe is pretty much referring to economic climate and the scarce resources which influences us. I did study biochemistry for 2 years (when i was 18) but realized this wasn't for me and began working (pretty much everywhere ) in search of something more meaningful to match my on personal desires. Ended up in a real estate investment consultancy firm and never looked back and so here I am , applying to study a course at the same 3 universities as the 3 partners who set up the firm 80 years ago. Sounds like a fairy tale really lol
What can we call you?
John
I have completed some Open University level 4 modules - mathematics and health and social care (weird combo i know)
Adult Nursing.
Northumbria, Teesside, York, Leeds and Manchester.
31 would be 32 when hopefully going to university.
Finally got my but in to gear to do what iv always known i want to do...so fingers crossed!!
(edited 7 years ago)
What can we call you?
Becky

Access to Legal studies (law, criminology, and sociology)

LLB Law

UCLAN, Lancaster, and Manchester

24, turning 25 in November

This is hopefully my SIXTH time lucky.......Other things have always gotten in the way and put plans on hold but I have never give up on my dream and I don't plan too!
Hi fellow mature students! EU student here! :smile:

What can we call you? DoraWhat are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you start Uni? Currently doing a degree course in English and American studies at a uni in my home country, whcih I never actually intended to finish. I applied here after two unsuccessfl attempts to take a L3 qualification in English literature. My uni choices know all about my situation and are fortunately very understanding. :smile:
Currently preparing for the CIE A-level in English lit with my only British tutor at uni. HOping to take it in May/June 2017
What do you plan on studying at Uni? EnglishWhich Uni's are you looking at applying to? I've applied to Cambridge (Wolfson College), Durham, UCL and ExeterIf you want to say, how old are you? 21 (will be 22 by the time I hopefully start uni)Anything else you want to say about your plans or dreams? After finishing my BA, I want to go on to postgraduate and possibly PHD level. I have a lot of career goals in mind.
Original post by Edward D
What can we call you?

Edward D

Hopefully Economics if I can get the entry requirements I need.

I've always been extremely ambitious and it's gotten me great places however I really want to go back and study now that I've got that ambition but i have no good GCSEs and no A-Levels whatsoever. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you looked into foundation courses? Durahm University, for example, has a foundation programme for "mature learners with no formal qualifications". Other unis might offer such programmes too.
Original post by Saresfield
What can we call you?
Sarah

I'll be starting an Access to Medicine course at Stafford College in September.

Medicine

Leicester, Keele, Cardiff and Bristol

33 next month, so 34 if I manage to get accepted for 2017 entry.

I've wanted to become a doctor for quite a while, but giving up a pretty well paid (unrelated) career with mortgage and family responsibilities has been a daunting decision. I'm still not certain we will manage!
Ultimately, I'll never forgive myself if I don't do it, and I'm not getting any younger!
Fingers crossed!

I'm starting my medicine degree next week after doing access to medicine last year. I'm 36. You'll be absolutely fine!

Feel free to message me if you need help/advice. And good luck!
What can we call you? Sophie.
What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you start Uni? Access to HE: Social Science.
What do you plan on studying at Uni? Psychology.
Which Uni's are you looking at applying to? Uni of Liverpool, Liverpool John Moores, Uni of Sheff, Nottingham Trent.
If you want to say, how old are you? 19, 20 next month :colondollar:
What can we call you?
Kat
Access to Science
Psychology
Cambridge, Reading, Exeter, Bristol and UWE.
21 right now!
Reply 16
What can we call you?
Jawed

Doing an Access Course in Business & Law atm.

Business Administration/Management

Uni of Birmingham, Uni of Bath, Uni of Exeter, Durham

18 ( am i the only 18 year old doing access?)
There's an 18 year old on my Access course Jawed!
Does anyone know if extenuating circumstances for previous years of education need to be included on a extenuating circumstances form? Nothing's going on that'll effect my current predicted grades, but there are reasons for past bad grades.
Reply 18
Original post by UnripenedTomato
There's an 18 year old on my Access course Jawed!
Does anyone know if extenuating circumstances for previous years of education need to be included on a extenuating circumstances form? Nothing's going on that'll effect my current predicted grades, but there are reasons for past bad grades.

Yeah would still be helpful as advised by my current uni choices. I am applying to study education through my foundation course which i have already completed, along with mathematics A levels. LSE, Cambridge and UCL all recommended I submit extenuating circumstances for my previous A levels despite it being 6 years ago. Hopes this helps
Reply 19
Original post by NanEco
Yeah would still be helpful as advised by my current uni choices. I am applying to study education through my foundation course which i have already completed, along with mathematics A levels. LSE, Cambridge and UCL all recommended I submit extenuating circumstances for my previous A levels despite it being 6 years ago. Hopes this helps

I did As levels last year, didnt complete the full a level. Will i be asked by unis why im doing an access course eventhough im 18?

Quick Reply

Latest