The Student Room Group

Postgraduate 2016 loans? Need help

I'm slightly confused as to how the Postgraduate Loans for Masters' courses in 2016 works.

I completed my degree last year (Psychology) and am interested in doing a Mental Health MSc. However, when I enquired on SFE's Facebook page, they basically told me I wouldn't be eligible because I've already completed my degree? :s-smilie:

I'm really confused by this. I thought the only eligibility required was to be aged under 30 and living in England.

Can someone enlighten me on this?
Reply 1
Original post by Jabberwox
I'm slightly confused as to how the Postgraduate Loans for Masters' courses in 2016 works.

I completed my degree last year (Psychology) and am interested in doing a Mental Health MSc. However, when I enquired on SFE's Facebook page, they basically told me I wouldn't be eligible because I've already completed my degree? :s-smilie:

I'm really confused by this. I thought the only eligibility required was to be aged under 30 and living in England.

Can someone enlighten me on this?

You're looking at the SFE info for the undergrad degree - they haven't put up anything about the postgrad loans yet.

If you don't have a Masters, you will be eligible for the loan. A useful summary taken from government papers, here:
http://www.findamasters.com/funding/guides/new-uk-postgraduate-loans-scheme.aspx

For info, the 30 year age limit has been raised to 60.
As above - Student Finance has nothing to do with the promised postgrad loans.

Details are yet to be announced for loans for 2016 entry, and bear in mind its been announced as a £10,00 loan so it won't cover your entire course costs. The idea that its going to mean everyone can now do a Masters degree is misleading - it'll only be for the people who have easy access to the necessary extra money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending