The Student Room Group

52% on my first assignment of the 2nd year...

Hi there
I've just received my feedback for the 1st assignment of our second year and I've got 52%. I'm very dissappointed. Thiswill now go towards my final grade in year 3 as well.
I admit I struggled with it and university are aware of some quite serious circumstances which have affected my concentration and focus. This isn't me... last year I got a 2:1 which is great.
I'm booking a tutorial with him to see what is going on...

He says I was not critical enough and didn't construct the argument or theories well at all.. how do you go about this task? Is there a particular effective structure to do this or what??? Ifeel like after everything has happened that I've completely forgotten how to do this.

Is anybody ina similar situation?
Have any graduates been in this situation but still came out with a good grade at the end of 2nd year or 3rd year???
Original post by lovinglillies
Hi there
I've just received my feedback for the 1st assignment of our second year and I've got 52%. I'm very dissappointed. Thiswill now go towards my final grade in year 3 as well.
I admit I struggled with it and university are aware of some quite serious circumstances which have affected my concentration and focus. This isn't me... last year I got a 2:1 which is great.

He says I was not critical enough and didn't construct the argument or theories well at all.. how do you go about this task? Is there a particular effective structure to do this or what??? Ifeel like after everything has happened that I've completely forgotten how to do this.

Have any graduates been in this situation but still came out with a good grade at the end of 2nd year or 3rd year???

It is just one essay, there is no need to worry about it yet. See your teacher(s) and take notes on what they have to say. And yes, an incredibly large amount of people will have still received a 2.1 or a 1st despite having one poor essay score, or even full module score. Implement the advice you receive and I'm sure you will be fine.
Hi there

Hi there

I was at the start of second year- I got 53% for my first essay of second year and came out with an overall average for the year of 66.99%! You just need to learn from your mistakes. In my case upon re reading my essay I could see it was far too descriptive. You are definitley going in the right direction going to talk to your tutor about it if you aren't sure how to improve.
How much does it count towards your overall grade?

There's not a huge amount you can do to change that grade but as above, have a look at it again and learn from it, and hopefully do better in the rest. :borat:
Reply 4
Hi there

although first year doesnt count towards classifications, im working at a 2:1 level as well (soon to start second year). even with my grades in this year i feel equally as disappointed if i get something below 50% which atm happens to be more often then not :frown: i feel your pain
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
How much does it count towards your overall grade?

There's not a huge amount you can do to change that grade but as above, have a look at it again and learn from it, and hopefully do better in the rest. :borat:

he/she may be able to resit but a better grade is not guaranteed
Original post by shawtyb
he/she may be able to resit but a better grade is not guaranteed

They didn't say anything about resitting
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
They didn't say anything about resitting

no, but this was in response to the person i was quoting
Original post by shawtyb
no, but this was in response to the person i was quoting

The person you quoted didn't say anything about resitting
Reply 9
The person you quoted didn't say anything about resitting

no but it was in addition to what they said, an alternative. dont need to delve so deep into it lol chill
Original post by shawtyb
no but it was in addition to what they said, an alternative. dont need to delve so deep into it lol chill

Oh ok, you can't usually retake at university if you've passed though
Oh ok, you can't usually retake at university if you've passed though

before you finish the module you can i think :smile:
Original post by shawtyb
before you finish the module you can i think :smile:

No university I know of allows uncapped resits/resubmission of assessed work that contributes towards classifications.
Original post by PQ
No university I know of allows uncapped resits/resubmission of assessed work that contributes towards classifications.

well im only a first yr student, nearly second year so...
Original post by shawtyb
well im only a first yr student, nearly second year so...

So you thought it would be a good idea to comment offering advice to a second year on something you have no direct knowledge of and haven't researched because inaccurate advice does no harm?

Quick Reply

Latest