The Student Room Group

University Take Two

So I've never done anything like this before but I'm going to give it a shot because at this point I think it's better to exhaust all the possibilities and opportunities out there instead of continuing with methods that clearly haven't been working.

I think the best place to start is an introduction.

My name is Brianna, I'm 19 and I'm currently a 1st year undergraduate student doing a joint honours degree in Sociology and Criminology.
Whilst I have had some good experiences at my current University and have enjoyed certain aspects of my course, I have carefully considered my options and decided to transfer Universities to do Psychology.

Unfortunately, as Psychology is not a main aspect of my current degree I have to drop back in to first year of whichever new university I hope to transfer to. ALSO I have had the joys of going through the whole UCAS programme again. However, I survived.

So far, I've received an offer from:
-Oxford Brookes- B (in A-level Maths)
And I', still waiting to hear from:
- Nottingham Trent
- Manchester Metropolitan
- Heriott Watt

At the end of the day, all the offers I'm waiting on are likely to be conditionals based around my MAths A-Level resit in the Summer.

My current A-Level Grades are:
English- B
Geography- C
Maths- C

Maths has always been my best subject at school and I know that a C no where near reflects my abilities and so I've decided to resit. I'm hoping to achieve at least an A grade.

You might be thinking, "She's a university student re-sitting ONE A-level? How hard can that be?" Well when you take in the following factors you might understand why I'm a little worried and wouldn't mind a little organisation and extra motivation here and there:
1) I'm going to finish my first year at my current University, aiming to achieve a 2:1 and above in all my assignments
2) I have a job as a Student Ambassador for my University, giving up some weekends to help supervise Open Days and Applicant Visit Days
3) I play for 2 University 1st teams (Rugby and Badminton) with regular league and cup matches, as well as intense training sessions
4) I attend a weekly Zumba class with a friend with allows me to keep up my fitness AND sort of have a social life (2 birds, 1 stone)
5) I live alone in a flat that's an hour away from my University and so I spend a lot of time driving places
6) I have to cook and clean for myself
7) I have to reteach myself a whole course in approximately 6 months

Now, admittedly, I could cut back on some of the sports and social activities, I could even drop out of University and focus all my time on Maths, but that's not what I want to do.
For now I'm going to do my best, track my progress and adjust from there.

I started by focussing on Core 3 Mathematics (C3), the 1st of 3 papers that I'll be sitting in the summer. I did a couple past papers to highlight exactly what I could remember and the areas that I needed to focus on the most. I averaged out at about 50% a paper, not great..
But it gave me a solid starting point. From there I focused on trigonometric Identities and functions; looking at youtube tutorials and answering worksheets. I'm also fortunate enough to have a boyfriend at Oxford University who studies Pure Mathematics an basically speaks Maths better than he speaks English, so if I get stuck he's always there to help.
After a week of doing these sheets I now know my double angle formulas as well as I know the alphabet (with the exception of tan2x but lets be serious, you can work tan out from sin and cos!)

My next step is to tackle differentiation. At the moment I'm focusing on all the questions that seem familiar. I probably should be focusing more on the questions that, to me, look like a foreign language (such as the transformations of graphs) but I decided to ease myself in to it and develop a rhythm first. I'm hoping that by the end of February I'll be doing C3 past papers and achieving at least 80% in them on average. If I am then I know that I'm ready to move on and start looking at questions from Core Mathematics 4 (C4).

Fingers crossed that it all goes according to plan. Stay tuned for future updates.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by briannafowlie
x

Zumba! Brilliant. :borat:

Resitting something while at uni isn't easy, like you said :tongue: I also resat an exam in my first year.

Good luck with the offers, the uni stuff and the A-level stuff! :rave:
Thank you so much :smile:
Right, so following my last post I did stick to my word and do a bit of differentiation. However, I've not done nearly enough... BUT I've got 3 solid hours of free time at University now to get settled and stuck in. Just a couple of photos of my work so far (keep in mind that all these sheets are double sided #bragging). You can tell that I really enjoyed my Trig Identity questions... Hopefully by the end of the day I'll be done with differentiation.
Whoo! Great start to your blog already. :biggrin:
Good luck with your self- teaching! :smile:

Also, a little unrelated, but you have really lovely handwriting! It's so neat! :love:
Oh my goodness, the one thing I have been told ALL My life is that my handwriting needs to improve! So that really means a lot.

I can't work with messy notes. I wish I could type my revision but I find I respond to my own handwriting more.

It's really just the cover sheets that appear neat, the sums hidden behind them are covered in scribbles and illegible sums haha
Just a suggestion but a plan B could be to stick at your current university and then do a postgraduate psychology conversion course. BPS approved conversion MSc qualifications do exist.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Just a suggestion but a plan B could be to stick at your current university and then do a postgraduate psychology conversion course. BPS approved conversion MSc qualifications do exist.

I don't love my current University at all.
- I'm not surrounded by like-minded people
- I don't live in halls and actually have an hour commute every day (to AND from Uni)
- Minimum effort goes in to most of the teaching/marking
Overall I'm just not satisfied enough with the University to spend the next 3 years here. Also, I really DON'T want to study Sociology any more. I could drop to first year Psychology here but as before, I don't like the University.

I appreciate the comment though, thanks :smile:
So I jumped the gun *shock* *horror* *surprise*
As usual I decided I was smarter than I actually was and instead of revising the two topics I had left to do I decided to just go straight in to a past paper. This was a TERRIBLE decisions.
I expected to maybe not be able to do the questions on those two topics but because I got frustrated at not being able to do those ones I then began to mess up on all the questions I HAD studied for and that got me more annoyed and so I was trapped in a cycle.

BUT, it's a new day and I have recovered and have reverted back to studying and will attempt past papers at a much MUCH later date.

Unfortunately, I've been bombarded by University assignments this week so I might be a little slow on the Maths but promise to make up for it.

I have however done extensive research on Revision courses and have decided I'm going to book on to one during the Easter holidays and then if I find that one useful then I might also book on to one during the May half term.
I'll be sure to update you all on the course.

I'm still undecided about whether or not to invest in a personal tutor for weekly arrangements but I think I'm coping so far (even if it is just C3..)

Finger crossed though!
Supposedly it's only been 6 days since I started this blog, that's insane.
I've been sat here thinking that I've been falling behind on posts and haven't done nearly enough work for the amount of time that's gone by but really I have!

I managed to do 3 past papers yesterday (images below), and scored pretty highly on them. I cheated a little in that I've still not covered transformations of graphs (because I know I'll need a lot of time to get my head around it as it's my biggest weakness) and so I marked myself without including those questions. However, even if you include the 0 marks I scored on those questions I still qualify for an A/B which is an improvement from last year and definite encouragement for this year.

I'm going to spend most of this week focusing on University assignments but I'm also going to sneak in a past paper where I can just so I stay in practice.

I feel like the blog is helping me because I work harder so I can post better results. I think I'd be really embarrassed if I got a really lame result because it would be my own fault! Anyway, here's hoping I can keep up the hard work

P.S- I think it's fairly obvious that my handwriting takes a turn for the worst when under timed conditions!
Supposedly it's only been 6 days since I started this blog, that's insane.
I've been sat here thinking that I've been falling behind on posts and haven't done nearly enough work for the amount of time that's gone by but really I have!

I managed to do 3 past papers yesterday (images below), and scored pretty highly on them. I cheated a little in that I've still not covered transformations of graphs (because I know I'll need a lot of time to get my head around it as it's my biggest weakness) and so I marked myself without including those questions. However, even if you include the 0 marks I scored on those questions I still qualify for an A/B which is an improvement from last year and definite encouragement for this year.

I'm going to spend most of this week focusing on University assignments but I'm also going to sneak in a past paper where I can just so I stay in practice.

I feel like the blog is helping me because I work harder so I can post better results. I think I'd be really embarrassed if I got a really lame result because it would be my own fault! Anyway, here's hoping I can keep up the hard work

P.S- I think it's fairly obvious that my handwriting takes a turn for the worst when under timed conditions!

Wow well done on your past paper work! Also your handwriting is still really neat there! Mine is atrocious in exams. :redface:
Original post by rayquaza17
Wow well done on your past paper work! Also your handwriting is still really neat there! Mine is atrocious in exams. :redface:

Thank you! Fallen a tad behind on Maths now due to University but I'm hoping to get back on track next week :smile:
Unfortunately since my last post about Maths I have done ZERO Maths... BUT I haven't just been sitting around doing nothing.
I've been doing all my University work and I think that's a justified excuse. I have a Psychology exam on Thursday and so I've been cramming like crazy- cramming as I've been putting off revision in order to do Maths, the struggle.
So far I've completed 1 weeks worth of lecture information and textbook notes which amounts to about 1 topic. I have 4 more to do... BY THURSDAY. Safe to say I'm a little stressed but I'm trying to stay focused.
I did well in my last Psychology exam, achieving a 2:1 however that exam was made up on 25 multiple choice questions and 2 short essays. This one has THREE short essays and a personality profile that we have construct based on a description.
The essays will definitely be my weakest area, not because I'm not capable of writing a good essay but because it's impossible to know what choice of questions will come up and therefore it's very difficult to go into a huge amount of depth into all the areas we've studied when revising. However, I'm confident that if I have a solid understand of all the basic principles and then I delve deeper into areas I think are more likely to come up then I've got a good chance at achieving another good grade.

The test is on Thursday, Reading Week (which is just a fancy half term for University students) begins Friday. I really should use Reading Week to catch up on University work but I might prioritise Maths and aim to recap C3 and start C4. By doing this then hopefully I'll feel confident in attending a revision course (for C3 and C4) in Easter!

These are all the assignments I have to complete for University before Easter:
February
Thursday 11th- Psychology test
Thursday 25th- Criminology test

March
Friday 11th- Criminology essay plan
Friday 18th- Sociology essay

That's on top of regular week by week work that's set and the Maths revision that I need to knuckle down with. Hopefully I'll manage!

On a slightly more exciting note I've decided to apply to work abroad in America this Summer. There's an organisation that looks for school leavers/undergraduates and employs them as sports counsellors in Summer Camps in America. I've got a phone interview today at 2:30 and if that goes well I should hopefully be selected for a face to face interview! *fingers crossed*
That Psychology test was the worst. Even if I manage to scrape a pass, I guarantee that my mark will no where near reflect the amount of work I put in. Which is a shame but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
At the end of the day I tried my hardest and I had hoped to do better but realistically this test will not affect how I do next year, the offers I receive this year, or the way the rest of studies will go after today.

Now that Psychology is out of the way it's time to get back on board the Math's train. Reading week starts tomorrow and this is the plan:

Friday 12th February:
- C3-2014 June
Saturday 13th February
- C3- 2014 Jan
Sunday 14th February
- C3- 2013 June
Monday 15th February
- C3- 2013 Jan
- C4 topic
Tuesday 16th February
- C3- 2012 June
- C4 topic
Wednesday 17th February
- C3- 2012 Jan
- C4 topic
Thursday 18th February
- C3- 2011 June
- C4 topic
Friday 19th February
- C3- 2012 Jan
- C4 topic
Saturday 20th February
- relax
Sunday 21st February
- relax

I've decided to spend the first weekend making sure I haven't forgotten all of C3 and just getting back in to practice. Starting next week I'm going to begin to look at C4 (so that I'm ready for a revision course in Easter). Then I'm taking next weekend off so I can feel refreshed to start Uni again on the Monday.
I'm staying with my boyfriend in Oxford for reading week which has its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages:
- He does maths
- He can be pretty motivating
- I'll get up early because he'll wake me up when he goes to lectures
- Seeing him work will make me want to work
Disadvantages:
- He is a distraction and I will probably give in at some point and watch a movie with him
- He stays up till all hours of the night working which can keep me up
- He has sports matches and as a good girlfriend I am required to attend to support him which can be time consuming

All in all it should be fine and as long as I stick to my plan then I'm not too worried. As for University work... well lets just leave that for some other time.

I'll be posting my results from the past papers and hopefully some notes along the way. If you've not heard anything by the time I'm back at Uni then please someone, ANYONE, get on my case about it... Hopefully it'll just be because I've forgotten to post and not because I haven't been working!
SORRY! I've been a tad MIA the last couple of days but it's been busy busy busy.

So I've changed my plans. On Thursday I attempted to do a past paper just to see if I still could and I could but not to a very high standard.

So instead of doing a past paper a day I've been doing exam questions broken down by topic a day. This is actually a lot more beneficial because:
a) it shows me the areas I need to work on
b) i'm still practicing exam style questions

I've been doing this for C3 AND C4 (HOORAY) and I'll post some pictures of my progress as soon as my phone stops playing up. It's been going well though and I'm happy.

Meanwhile, I've been asked to write an article about my experience at University so that's taken up quite a lot of my time but I'm finally finished. If it gets published I'll be sure to leave the link.
For now it's back to C4 and partial fractions for me :smile:
I've managed to get some photographic evidence for my work the last couple of days,

So far in C4 I've managed to complete all the exam questions on
1. Partial Fractions
2. Binomial Expansion
3. Differentiation
And part of Integration. The first 3 topics really helped to boost my confidence because I managed to remember the techniques really quickly and therefore was able to answer the questions fairly easily, however, once I hit integration I found a couple of bumps in the road. The actual integration involved in the questions I could do, it was when I had to find volumes and revolutions that I began to struggle. So I've decided to put a hold on integration, just until my boyfriend has a second of free time to go over it with me properly. Until then I've decided to attempt co-ordinate geometry and parametric differentiation. If I can get that done by the end of the day then that leaves me with 2 and a half topics left in C4 before I've covered everything. I'm definitely on track for being C3 and C4 competent by Easter!

I go back to University on Monday so my Maths productivity might slow down a little but I'm hoping to be doing at least 3 past papers a week. These are my next University deadlines:
Thursday 25th February: Criminology test
Thursday 3rd March: Project Proposal
I've also got a bunch of sports matches coming up as well and then as usual there will be the usual work that I get during the week.

I mentioned in a previous post that I applied for a job in the states, well I got it, kind of, but I had to turn in down because departure is the 19th of June and C3 is on the 21st of June and C4 is on the 24th of June and unfortunately they wouldn't let me arrive a week late, ah well.
In other news my article did get posted! Feel free to have a read of it here: http://feel.news/bath-spa-university-student-story/
I appreciate that it's quite long so I don't blame you if you don't make it passed the 3rd paragraph!

Hope everyone is studying hard and isn't too stressed
(edited 8 years ago)
The last couple of days have been busy with Uni work and commitments. Having said that, I have managed to complete a couple of C3 papers and I scored 60+ out of 75 in both, I'll post them later.
I've got my Criminology test today and that will be particularly draining so I doubt I'll get much done tonight, especially as I won't get home for the night until 8:30.
Then I'm going to spend the rest of the week focusing on my University proposal assessment that is due in a week. I will try to do some Maths alongside it but my main focus is this assignment. Hopefully I'll get it done before Thursday and then I'll have more time to do Maths.

I'll keep you up to date x
Exciting news! I got an offer (actually TWO offers) from Heriot-Watt today.
I really wasn't expecting an offer at all because the grades they ask for were a little beyond what I have.
It's a conditional offer which really has just given me a push to work even harder for this Summer's exams.

Also, I've made the decision to drop out of University after the Easter holidays. Most of my modules are finished by then anyway and it doesn't make sense to stick around any more. Instead I'm going to go home and focus on Maths (obviously) and try and get a job so I have some money saved up.
I think the move will be really beneficial because it means I won't have the added pressures of Uni any more, I'llhave less commitments to worry about, I'll have more time and less driving to do. I think it's the right decision.

This week I attempted a couple more C4 papers. They went okay and not brilliantly but I'm hoping to bump my scores up in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping that by Easter I'll also be doing the Solomon Press C3 papers so I can just push myself that little bit further.
Exciting news! I got an offer (actually TWO offers) from Heriot-Watt today.
I really wasn't expecting an offer at all because the grades they ask for were a little beyond what I have.
It's a conditional offer which really has just given me a push to work even harder for this Summer's exams.

Congrats!
Original post by rayquaza17
Congrats!

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending