The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Can I afford UCL?

Hello, I'm thinking of accepting UCL as my firm for anthropology but the only thing deterring me is the cost of UCL and London. I am expecting an inflated cost of living compared to alternative unis but I am going to be entitled to the maximum maintenance loan (ÂŁ10,700) and a ÂŁ2000 grant from UCL. I was wondering whether this would be enough for a year to survive (I can be frugal if I have to) or would I still be required to get a part time job, thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by The Amrit
Hello, I'm thinking of accepting UCL as my firm for anthropology but the only thing deterring me is the cost of UCL and London. I am expecting an inflated cost of living compared to alternative unis but I am going to be entitled to the maximum maintenance loan (ÂŁ10,700) and a ÂŁ2000 grant from UCL. I was wondering whether this would be enough for a year to survive (I can be frugal if I have to) or would I still be required to get a part time job, thank you!

You can find some ballpark figures for accommodation costs here.

Also, hold off on choosing your firm and insurance choices until April, at least, or @PQ will be angry with you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
ÂŁ13k should definitely be enough.

I imagine it would depend on the accommodation and the length of the lease on it, but afaik the most expensive LSE accommodation when I was applying worked out to around ÂŁ8-10k a year, so I think ÂŁ13k should be more than enough if you manage your money well.
Reply 4

I'm in pretty much exactly the same position!! I'm entitled to the maximum loan and the grant, although I'm not sure if I get ÂŁ1.5k or ÂŁ2k for that yet.

I think I worked it out as I would have ÂŁ100-ÂŁ150 a week (after accommodation, before everything else, assuming 40 weeks), which should be okay as long as I budget properly.

Are you going to a post offer visit day? I'm going on March 16th.
Reply 5
Thank you for replying guys, and I'm still considering whether I'm going to put it as my firm. But yeah I've been working out prices and it should hopefully get me through each year :smile:

Original post by rachel x

I'm in pretty much exactly the same position!! I'm entitled to the maximum loan and the grant, although I'm not sure if I get ÂŁ1.5k or ÂŁ2k for that yet.

I think I worked it out as I would have ÂŁ100-ÂŁ150 a week (after accommodation, before everything else, assuming 40 weeks), which should be okay as long as I budget properly.

Are you going to a post offer visit day? I'm going on March 16th.

Yeah I'm going to the February one, what subject are you doing?
Thank you for replying guys, and I'm still considering whether I'm going to put it as my firm. But yeah I've been working out prices and it should hopefully get me through each year :smile:

Keep considering until April at the very least -- there's no advantage to firming early and you lose flexibility (i.e. you might, for whatever reason, change your mind later on and there won't be an easy way out then).
Reply 7
Original post by Hydeman
Keep considering until April at the very least -- there's no advantage to firming early and you lose flexibility (i.e. you might, for whatever reason, change your mind later on and there won't be an easy way out then).

Yeah I'm not gonna finally decide until I have to or a bit before, but thank you for the advice!
I've ruled them out :frown:

In Scotland the government quietly scrapped the London weighting to maintenance loans circa 2011. So what that means is any Scottish student wanting to study at a London uni is effectively receiving 41% less than the same student applying through Student Finance England...

My mother is currently undergoing a PhD bringing our household income to a level where I'd be entitled to the full amount. Through SAAS that amounts to c.ÂŁ7.6k + the ÂŁ2k grant from UCL: I'm looking at ~ÂŁ9.6k all-in.

Considering most accom falls in the ~ÂŁ7k bracket + the added commuting costs, increased prices of everyday items/food and you have a situation where I won't have enough to sustain myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, although back in '11-'15 so wasn't the same money, I got max loan and grant from UCL.

It was definitely sufficient to cover everything at uni and I often had quite a bit left over!

Is that ÂŁ2,000 grant an undergraduate bursary? Imperial offers up to ÂŁ5,000 which is a bit more generous. I would expect the total costs if you include transportation, accommodation and other living costs to be up to ÂŁ15,000-ÂŁ18,000 on average. I think you would still need an extra ÂŁ3,000 to ÂŁ5,000. UCL estimates the living costs at ÂŁ13,250 for the average student on their website:http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/fees-funding/tuition-fees/living-expenses

Although, I do believe the ÂŁ15,000-ÂŁ18,000 estimate is correct, they estimate transportation at ÂŁ896 while my parents pay +ÂŁ3,000 every year for me alone. It's fair to say that the estimate given here is an underestimate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
I would say it is enough ...
more part time jobs in London too
Yeah I'm going to the February one, what subject are you doing?

Anthropology :smile:

Original post by Ali1302
Is that ÂŁ2,000 grant an undergraduate bursary? Imperial offers up to ÂŁ5,000 which is a bit more generous. I would expect the total costs if you include transportation, accommodation and other living costs to be up to ÂŁ15,000-ÂŁ18,000 on average. I think you would still need an extra ÂŁ3,000 to ÂŁ5,000. UCL estimates the living costs at ÂŁ13,250 for the average student on their website:http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/fees-funding/tuition-fees/living-expenses

Although, I do believe the ÂŁ15,000-ÂŁ18,000 estimate is correct, they estimate transportation at ÂŁ896 while my parents pay +ÂŁ3,000 every year for me alone. It's fair to say that the estimate given here is an underestimate.

ÂŁ896 is the cost of an Oyster card for zones one and two for the year. So that covers transport within London (at least for the first year when your accommodation will be in zone one or two). So that covers everything except transport home to see family.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Hey, although back in '11-'15 so wasn't the same money, I got max loan and grant from UCL.

It was definitely sufficient to cover everything at uni and I often had quite a bit left over!

That was then. In 2012 I would have received a ÂŁ3500 bursary from UCL, a ÂŁ3250 maintenance grant and ÂŁ7675 in maintenance loans, that's a total of ÂŁ14,425. However when I start in 2016 I will receive a total of ÂŁ12,702. I will receive less money, but accommodation costs have risen almost 50%.
Original post by Snufkin
That was then. In 2012 I would have received a ÂŁ3500 bursary from UCL, a ÂŁ3250 maintenance grant and ÂŁ7675 in maintenance loans, that's a total of ÂŁ14,425. However when I start in 2016 I will receive a total of ÂŁ12,702. I will receive less money, but accommodation costs have risen almost 50%.

I saw the Tab/Guardian article on the UCL accommodation strikes actually, yeah pretty crazy the prices :/
Original post by Noodlzzz
I saw the Tab/Guardian article on the UCL accommodation strikes actually, yeah pretty crazy the prices :/

I would be happy to live much further out (or live at home) if travel costs weren't so high. Students in Germany get free public transport, I wish we had that. :frown:
Original post by Snufkin
I would be happy to live much further out (or live at home) if travel costs weren't so high. Students in Germany get free public transport, I wish we had that. :frown:

I got a freedom pass for last 3 years I was in London for medical reasons and it saved me a bomb. It also motivated me to not miss lectures because of the stupid cost of a return on the tube/ 2-3 bus journeys one way.
Original post by Snufkin

Well nothing in life is free, if you don't pay out of pocket others pay for you with their taxes. I think universities in the UK are taking more internationals to generate higher income since internationals pay the full ÂŁ20,000 tuition fees. UCL is like 40% international with mostly Chinese students, I recently visited the university and it was flooded with asians.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by smoothER
@rachel x

I am also wondering if I can afford UCL... I'm going to be studying anthropology too! Where else did you apply to?

I have offers from Durham, Exeter and Kent as well as UCL, and I'm waiting on Bristol. You?
Reply 19
It will also cost me around $40,000 USD for a 1 year UCL Master's programme. This includes everything - tuition, housing, travel, food, and all other expenses. I'm just wondering, will it be worth spending this much to gain the UCL name on your academic record?

What is the employer valuability of a UCL degree? Is UCL known to employers across the world?

Quick Reply