The Student Room Group

Mayhem's journey to GCSE success!

Well hello there, I'm currently a year 11 student who's looking to smash his GCSE's with the best results possible! :biggrin:

Here are my mock GCSE results;

English Language A
Maths A*
Core Science A
Additional Science A
Further Additional Science A*
French A(combining writing assessments with mock listening and reading exams)
Computer Science B(exam only)
History B

And here are my aims for the summer;

English Language A*
English Literature A
Maths A*
Core Science A*
Additional Science A*
Further Additional Science A*
French A*
Polish A* (completed GCSE)
Computer Science A
History A
RE A (half-course)

That's a total of 7 A*'s and 4 A's, in case you couldn't be bothered to read that :wink:

Of course, this is going to take a lot of hard work and dedication, but If everything goes to plan, the reward is mine :holmes:

Advice for any of the subjects is appreciated, but help with English Literature,History, and French would be amazing!

Spoiler

Let's go!

Scroll to see replies

Polish :eek4: very nice!

Great set of mock results too :h:

Past papers are your best friend for History (and GCSEs in general).

Best of luck! :rave::rave:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Polish :eek4: very nice!

Great set of mock results too :h:

Past papers are your best friend for History (and GCSEs in general).

Best of luck! :rave::rave:

Spoiler

Thanks :wink:, it is my first language after all :biggrin:.

That sounds good to me! :mmm:

Spoiler

I'm pretty good at French :P so I'd say:
-Watch french films with english subtitles to help you recognise language which would help in the listenings.
-Know how to form all the tenses in your head for the writing, and just know the general language features and vocab.

For history (which I'm also pretty good at), past paper questions done under timed conditions are your best bet, or use flash cards to help you memorise key facts and dates.

I'm terrible at lit, so can't help you there :biggrin:
Woo nice mock results :h:

For History I recommend timelines, clearly outline the events/dates you need to know and any particular events you struggle with you can test yourself with flashcards. I found this really useful at GCSE but also I associated the numbers with things I'd remember eg Great Revolt 1381, my mum was 38 and then just 1 on the outside... silly things like that.

For English I was really inconsistent, I never really got above a C and in the weeks upcoming to the exam I was getting Us... but in the final thing I got full marks :colondollar: Therefore from experience I can say it's never too late, and also I found essay plans REALLY useful. Look at past papers and if you can spot a pattern with the questions asked, and then plan accordingly to what is most likely to come up.

I also took French and I found flashcards really useful to remember vocabulary, keep testing yourself on terms until you're confident in knowing what they mean. Also, do every past paper you can find! You'll get used to the exam and it will be easier when you come to it, and when doing past papers highlight and annotate any terms you don't understand: add them to the flashcards to try and remember.

Hope this helps and good luck! :smile:
History should be an easy A* with past papers, good luck nonetheless!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Update;

I have a French speaking and listening assessment tomorrow, and the topic is the world of work. I haven't prepared much but going to dedicate tonight to maximise my chances.

Any advice? :holmes:

Spoiler

Original post by Mayhem™
Update;

I have a French speaking and listening assessment tomorrow, and the topic is the world of work. I haven't prepared much but going to dedicate tonight to maximise my chances.

Any advice? :holmes:

Spoiler

Don't say any things that aren't somewhat complex if you want the best grades for whatever you do in French. You did not just eat breakfast, you ate breakfast after having showered, ya feel me?
(edited 8 years ago)
This is great! Your results are great, your motivation is great, your aspirations are great.

EVERYTHING'S GREAT! :biggrin:

Looking forward to see how your journey goes :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Don't say any things that aren't somewhat if you want the best grades for whatever you do in French. You did not just eat breakfast, you ate breakfast after having showered, ya feel me?

yeah, have a reason for everything :holmes:
Reply 10
Original post by Tank Girl
This is great! Your results are great, your motivation is great, your aspirations are great.

Thank you, and I do hope it's a great success! :biggrin:

You are more excitable than I've ever seen Morrissey. Have to question the likeness.
Original post by callum_law
You are more excitable than I've ever seen Morrissey. Have to question the likeness.

:mmm:

There's no way I could be as morose as Morrissey!
:mmm:

There's no way I could be as morose as Morrissey!

It would certainly be an interesting dynamic in the Community Team if you were as morose. All smiley faces of the others and then you posting in every thread a reminder that we're all gonna die (and BTW meat is murder).
Original post by Mayhem™
Studying at Cambridge would be a dream come true! :smile:

Which college would you apply to?
Reply 15
Original post by Banana00
Which college would you apply to?

haven't researched that far into it yet :redface:, but the best choices for Chemical Engineering :smile:
How's it going @Mayhem™ ?

:rave::rave:
>.< SAME EYYY

apart from Biology instead of Physics for A level (probably)
Reply 18
Original post by SeanFM
How's it going @Mayhem™ ?

:rave::rave:

Thanks for checking :smile: I only got a B in the French speaking and listening (didn't revise :colonhash:), but fortunately there's a third entry in April which I'm definetely doing ! :redface:
Original post by Mayhem™
Thanks for checking :smile: I only got a B in the French speaking and listening (didn't revise :colonhash:), but fortunately there's a third entry in April which I'm definetely doing ! :redface:

:rave: you gotta revise if you want those top grades :tongue: so keep going! :woo: :party2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending