The Student Room Group

Sean's Ship to Success

:captain: ........... :captain:..... :captain::captain::captain:
:captain: ........... :captain:.................:captain:
:captain: :captain: :captain:.................:captain:
:captain: ........... :captain:.................:captain:
:captain: ........... :captain:..... :captain::captain::captain:

Choo choo! All aboard the S.S. Tipton Sean before it takes off.

My name is Sean, and I'm a second year Mathematical Sciences student at the University of Bath.

The story so far:

Spoiler

First year counts towards 0% of the degree.

Where are you now that I need you?

Spoiler

What are my goals for the next semester?.

Spoiler

How am I going to achieve those goals?

Spoiler

I'll decide on which day of the week I'll update this, as I have two other blogs on this site to run as well! :rofl:

Best of luck to everyone else in the competition. I'll help you guys by ending this post with the definition of studying.

Post number 1 - Tuesday the 26th of January: an overview of the blog and a glimpse of what it's like to be at uni.
Post number 2 - Sunday the 7th of February: Review of week 1 and what lectures are like.
Post number 3 - Monday the 15th of February: Review of week 2 and what a clean room can do for you.
Post number 4 - Sunday the 21st of February: Review of week 3, buses and xboxes.
Post number 5 - Sunday the 28th of February - Review of week 4, results and vlogs.
Post number 6 - Thursday the 10th of March - short update.
Post number 7 - Sunday the 13th of March - short update.
Post number 8 - Sunday the 20th of March - start of Easter holidays :woo:
Post number 9 - Sunday the 27th of March - halfway through Easter and how I'm using my half term.
Post number 10 - Sunday the 24th of April - coursework disasters and the coming weeks.
Post number 11 - Sunday the 15th of May - first two exams over and done with.
Post number 12 - Monday the 20th of June - reflecting on how everything went. Long post, but full of advice and pictures and vines.
Post number 13 - Sunday the 21st of August - a fun 'article' I wrote on procrastination.
Post number 14 - Monday the 22nd of August - reflections and adieu.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wow, them A2 module marks... Good luck! Just out of curiosity, what does the Japanese unit entail? (there's a good chance what you say will go over my head, I can just about comprehend C4 haha)
Original post by Ninjakam119
Wow, them A2 module marks... Good luck! Just out of curiosity, what does the Japanese unit entail? (there's a good chance what you say will go over my head, I can just about comprehend C4 haha)

Thanks! :biggrin:

At Bath we just work through the Genki textbooks, at the moment we're on still on book 1. We learn how to read, write, listen and speak Japanese and learn a bit about the culture. We also get an exam for each of those aspects during the semester. I'll be sure to talk about what I learn during each week!
Original post by SeanFM
Thanks! :biggrin:

At Bath we just work through the Genki textbooks, at the moment we're on still on book 1. We learn how to read, write, listen and speak Japanese and learn a bit about the culture. We also get an exam for each of those aspects during the semester. I'll be sure to talk about what I learn during each week!

That sounds much more interesting than my grow your grades blog haha! Sorry I thought the Japanese units were a part of your maths degree :unsure: I'm looking forward to it.
Original post by Ninjakam119
That sounds much more interesting than my grow your grades blog haha! Sorry I thought the Japanese units were a part of your maths degree :unsure: I'm looking forward to it.

Don't talk yourself down yet :tongue: there's plenty of time to think of ideas and how to write it etc.

At some universities and for some subjects you can study language modules that count towards your overall grade, like some subjects here (eg Natural Sciences) you have the option of doing that from the first year. I can only study it as an optional thing until the third year, where it's possible for it to count towards my degree (if they let me, that is. :colondollar:).

It'd be really difficult to study Maths in Japanese, I don't understand it sometimes when it's in English. :rofl:

Just about to have a peek at your medic blog now :wink:
I'm surprised your Japanese marks are so high
Reply 6
Uni modules sound so indepth and exciting, best of luck to you
Original post by sunnydespair
I'm surprised your Japanese marks are so high

To be honest I am half Japanese :tongue: but after doing the GCSE I'd never had a use for it so I had forgotten almost all of it, and the classes are serving as refreshers. :angelblush: which is why my target for it is so high!

Original post by Sayless
Uni modules sound so indepth and exciting, best of luck to you

Sometimes too indepth... :innocent:

Cheers!
This is so cheesy, I love it. Good luck!
Original post by flippantri
This is so cheesy, I love it. Good luck!

Cheesy is my middle name. :u:

Thanks! :hat2:
Original post by SeanFM
Choo choo! All aboard the S.S. Tipton Sean before it takes off.

My name is Sean, and I'm a second year Mathematical Sciences student at the University of Bath.

The story so far:

Spoiler

First year counts towards 0% of the degree.

Where are you now that I need you?

Spoiler

What are my goals for the next semester?.

Spoiler

How am I going to achieve those goals?

Spoiler

I'll decide on which day of the week I'll update this, as I have two other blogs on this site to run as well! :rofl:

Best of luck to everyone else in the competition. I'll help you guys by ending this post with the definition of studying.

Good luck with everything Sean, those are great achievements and goals you have there :h:
Original post by kandykissesxox
Good luck with everything Sean, those are great achievements and goals you have there :h:

Thank you! You should set one of these up too. :yep:
Wowzers, your A level results are amazing!

Best of luck with it all! You'll ace it :smile:
Original post by Babs Posh
Wowzers, your A level results are amazing!

Best of luck with it all! You'll ace it :smile:

:colondollar: thanks. I've posted on your blog already, but good luck to you too :hat2:
Reply 14
Best of luck! You sound well clued up, and your take on studying perfectly describes my scenario every night! :tongue:
And as previously mentioned, your A-Level results are great, I hope that I can achieve grades in those realms :smile:

On another note, roughly what percentage would be a first? Or in other words, how did you rank with the percentage you achieved in first year from everyone doing the course?
Reply 15
wait... wait... @SeanFM this is a competition? X'D
what do you win :tongue:?

I'm just doing it for the motivationZ :3
Original post by Kozmo
Best of luck! You sound well clued up, and your take on studying perfectly describes my scenario every night! :tongue:
And as previously mentioned, your A-Level results are great, I hope that I can achieve grades in those realms :smile:

On another note, roughly what percentage would be a first? Or in other words, how did you rank with the percentage you achieved in first year from everyone doing the course?

:woo: glad to know I'm not the only one.

Thank you! :colondollar: I hope that with the aid of your blog you will be able to.

It seems that overall Bath awarded 27% of final year students a first either this year or the last year.

How I compare to my course, I'm not sure. I do know that out of around 360 at the start of year 1, semester 1, there are now about 300 of us.

Original post by z33
wait... wait... @SeanFM this is a competition? X'D
what do you win :tongue:?

I'm just doing it for the motivationZ :3

See this thread :tongue:

Prizes can be motivation too :colone:

and thanks for the lovely message in the personal rep :colondollar:
Reply 17
Original post by SeanFM

See this thread :tongue:

Prizes can be motivation too :colone:

and thanks for the lovely message in the personal rep :colondollar:

Ah I just read through it - thanks :3!
true true :tongue:

no problemo :h: :biggrin:
WOW! good luck you can do this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
YEAS @SeanFM!

Looking forward to this one. It's so hard to keep motivated at uni- the struggle is real!

Good luck with everything :h:

Quick Reply