The Student Room Group

I WILL NOT GIVE UP - AAAA (Maths, FM, Physics, Chem)

I WILL NOT GIVE UP.

My AS level journey to 4As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Chemistry...
(Aiming for 85%+ in further maths - I had to force my way into doing it because my school doesn't teach it. With only a few hours a week worth of further maths lessons if I achieve this I’d be so proud of myself! :smile:)

RESULTS DAY POST - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=67046826&postcount=254
A LEVEL BLOG (YEAR 13) - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4469218&page=2

Background info
GCSEs 10A*s (highest in school - comprehensive)
What motivated me for my GCSEs
In year 9 I got the feeling that my maths and some science teachers thought I was hopeless.
Moments that made me realise that you can achieve anything you set your mind on...
When my chemistry teacher accused me of cheating (lol first time I revised for once :colonhash:, although it was more like self teaching as my gcse lessons were pretty crap)
and when I scored the lowest in my maths set.
Don't let anyone get you down!
I managed to get the highest in the year in GCSE maths (86%) considering only a few scraped an A*.

Career aspirations I just want to discover things that no one else has discovered.
University courses - Stuck between understanding the universe and the world around us with physics, making cool stuff with material science or create drugs with chemistry.

Aspirational goals: Hoping to get 90%+UMS in Maths & Further Maths

DREAM GOAL: 80% raw marks in new spec chemistry & physics. They don't have UMS unfortunately.

My main source of motivation
Don’t let the teachers down or myself down & make my parents really proud!
Music, tea and a homework-free mind is all I need to get into the productive mood.

I’d be so happy if I managed to get AAAA.
I believe that hard work and sheer dedication can get you anywhere!

My main aim is that I want this to (possibly) inspire others and obviously motivate me to do some work every day.
It will also be a little place to share new things that I have learnt.

Just a little note…

Spoiler

--------------

Exam boards and maths modules…
AQA Maths AS modules C1, C2, S1
AQA Further Maths AS modules FP1, M1, M2
AQA Physics & Chemistry AS

My December mock results

Spoiler

My March projected grades

Spoiler

SPECIMEN PAPERS FOR NEW AS SCIENCE

Chemistry 2014 specimen set 1? (not online) paper 1 - 86% (A)
Highest in the class
Chemistry 2014 specimen set 1? (not online) paper 2 - DID NOT DO IT

Chemistry 2015 specimen (online) paper 1 - DID NOT DO IT
Chemistry 2015 specimen (online) paper 2 - DID NOT DO IT

Chemistry set 2 specimen paper 1 - 60% 48/80 (C)
Highest in the class.
Chemistry set 2 specimen paper 2 - 79% () 63/80 (B)

Physics set 2 specimen paper 1 - 66% 46/70 (C)
In the top end of my the class.
Physics set 2 specimen paper 2 - probably 67% 47/70 (C)

Physics set 1 specimen paper 1 - DID NOT DO IT
Physics set 1 specimen paper 2 - 76% (B) 53/70

THE GRAND PLAN
(numbered in order of priority) - I probably won’t stick to it but we will see...
(Green = done/in process of doing, Red= need to do/start)

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I wish you the best yo, I take Edexcel Maths too. You are really motivated, i'm trying really hard to focus but I just cant find a way to get myself to study, like I think I have a problem. I would do anything to avoid it and I really want to get AAAA, I just need to set a timetable and discipline myself. But you definitely motivated me with your inspiring words.
It's great that you have big aspirations and motivation.

But I think you're focusing too much on pleasing others. Do it for yourself! You'll be even happier that way :biggrin:
Good luck, you really seem to be dedicated to your studies, I hope you get the grades you want because you deserve them and Im going to start my notes in February as well and probably have a breakdown by May as well so we're pretty much on the same page :smile:

I wish you the best
Reply 4
Original post by Student403
It's great that you have big aspirations and motivation.

But I think you're focusing too much on pleasing others. Do it for yourself! You'll be even happier that way :biggrin:

Thank you!! :smile: haha I'll try not to but I can't really escape from the pressure placed by teachers.
Especially because of past events that have lead to me actually working hard in the first place like my chemistry teacher accusing me of cheating in a test.
This affected me so much because for once I decided to revise and stop messing about and the fact that she didn't believe that I could do so well made me so angry. From then on I've always had this expectation from her to do amazingly well.

I really need to snap out of it but it forms a big part in my motivation to do well. I think slowly with time I'll start not caring about others and just think of myself :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by struggling1
I wish you the best yo, I take Edexcel Maths too. You are really motivated, i'm trying really hard to focus but I just cant find a way to get myself to study, like I think I have a problem. I would do anything to avoid it and I really want to get AAAA, I just need to set a timetable and discipline myself. But you definitely motivated me with your inspiring words.

Thank you!!! It is great to hear that!!! :smile:
Reply 6
Good luck! I'm also doing maths, further maths, chemistry and physics, but A2 instead of AS. My aspirational grades would be 4 A*s (lol)
Original post by Pentaquark
Thank you!! :smile: haha I'll try not to but I can't really escape from the pressure placed by teachers.
Especially because of past events that have lead to me actually working hard in the first place like my chemistry teacher accusing me of cheating in a test.
This affected me so much because for once I decided to revise and stop messing about and the fact that she didn't believe that I could do so well made me so angry. From then on I've always had this expectation from her to do amazingly well.

I really need to snap out of it but it forms a big part in my motivation to do well. I think slowly with time I'll start not caring about others and just think of myself :smile:

To be honest if it's working for you, I don't want to change that :smile: I just don't want you to feel bad because of others' expectations if something doesn't go to plan. As much as revising is important, so is being able to pick yourself up when things aren't going your way in academics. I think you're definitely determined enough to brush it off, though, so keep up the positivity and get those grades :h:
If you're doing FM you should get A* in maths with ease. Make that A*AAA.
Reply 9
Original post by SNAAAAAAAKE
If you're doing FM you should get A* in maths with ease. Make that A*AAA.

Ah if only :smile: I am in AS and I am not doing A level maths in a year unfortunately, which I would prefer over AS Maths and AS Further Maths side by side.
awesomeee
motivated me too:biggrin:
im gonna steal your GRAND PLAN im doing pretty much the same except bio instead of FM

good luck!
Ah if only :smile: I am in AS and I am not doing A level maths in a year unfortunately, which I would prefer over AS Maths and AS Further Maths side by side.

Ah, I though these were your A2 targets.

I got AAAB in the same subjects without too much work so you'll be fine.
Currently 1am and I have finished one piece of chemistry homework which is due in tomorrow.
Hopefully the rest is due in another day because I am so tired :frown:
Note to self - do homework once you get it
Reply 13
Perhaps planning to be very depressed is a little on the pessimistic side. :redface: Good luck anyhow, and congrats on great GCSEs despite what doesn't sound like too great a school
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Perhaps planning to be very depressed is a little on the pessimistic side. :redface: Good luck anyhow, and congrats on great GCSEs despite what doesn't sound like too great a school

Ah thank you!! :smile: I must say I am often very pessimistic and it has crept in this thread as I don't want to get my hopes up too much! It kinda balances it out with the whole I can do this attitude :colonhash:
Reply 15

Ah thank you!! :smile: I must say I am often very pessimistic and it has crept in this thread as I don't want to get my hopes up too much! It kinda balances it out with the whole I can do this attitude :colonhash:

shouldn't students be in bed by now?
I admire your motivation! AQA sciences are so impossible....

( Doing all AQA Biology exams this year- need to get an A)
Reply 17
Original post by TeeEm
shouldn't students be in bed by now?

My 9am lecture tomorrow is generally useless, so if I am not well rested enough I can sleep till 11:30 if needs be..
Reply 18
My 9am lecture tomorrow is generally useless, so if I am not well rested enough I can sleep till 11:30 if needs be..

what module is that?
Reply 19
Original post by TeeEm
what module is that?

Probability A; the lectures seem to consist of brutalising easy problems with lots of set notation and convoluted methods.

Quick Reply

Latest