The Student Room Group

Do you think personal trainers are too expensive?

I go to gym regularly and have seen the prices personal trainers charge.
The lowest I have seen is £40.

My sister has one and she gets charged £60 for an hour session. Personally I think that is completely outrageous since first of all the trainer isn't providing the equipment herself, the gym does, hence you get charged £60 for her showing you exercises which most of them you have seen before.

I mean lets compare it to a tutoring job, you can get a decent Maths tutor for £25 who even comes to your house. Is a fitness trainer really that more useful?

I know people will argue that a personal trainer is a luxury, it is, but is it really a much higher luxury than a tutor for example?
In both cases you can find all the information you need online, you would just have to search for a bit.

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Goods are worth what people are prepared to pay for them.

Rich people think they need personal trainers = they cost a lot.
Reply 2
Not for that price, considering what a personal trainer does, you could do that yourself.
Considering that the information they're giving you is freely available on the internet and a lot of them don't really know what they're doing, they're not worth paying a penny for a lot of the time. Thinking of becoming a PT myself at some point, seems like decent money for something I'm interested in :lol:
I had a personal trainer over a summer and she honestly helped me so much! Her rates were a lot cheaper than that though and I only saw her once or twice a week, the rest was going to the gym myself to do the workouts she had set, it worked for me but it's a personal thing, you can definitely get a better deal on it though
Personal trainers are a waste of money, all you need is the internet and some good old strong will and determination.

I know people who have transformed themselves, and all from the internet.
Its mostly women that use personal trainers, you dont see many men
Original post by WoodyMKC
Considering that the information they're giving you is freely available on the internet and a lot of them don't really know what they're doing, they're not worth paying a penny for a lot of the time. Thinking of becoming a PT myself at some point, seems like decent money for something I'm interested in :lol:

Mate as long as youve been going to the gym for a couple of years, you can be a PT'
Hell i know a few PTs who dont even train, and they dare call themselves 'personal trainers'
Mine's free with my gym membership..
Reply 8

I'm thinking about the same eventually, it really pisses me off seeing literally 95%+ of the gym squat with **** form. I kind of feel like commercial PT's also just sort of go with the flow, if someone lacks the correct mobility they'll just let them get on with their half squats and move on. Cash cows :unimpressed:
How can your sister afford £60 for an hour session? Damn, must be loaded

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sae.HH
I'm thinking about the same eventually, it really pisses me off seeing literally 95%+ of the gym squat with **** form. I kind of feel like commercial PT's also just sort of go with the flow, if someone lacks the correct mobility they'll just let them get on with their half squats and move on. Cash cows :unimpressed:

Mate, people can squat how they want to squat.
Reply 11
Original post by BtechFitness
Mate, people can squat how they want to squat.

Yeah they can but if they're hiring a personal trainer then they want to learn how to do things PROPERLY. And it's a PTs duty to teach them proper form which a ton neglect.
Original post by BlackSweetness
Mate as long as youve been going to the gym for a couple of years, you can be a PT'
Hell i know a few PTs who dont even train, and they dare call themselves 'personal trainers'

That makes me 1 year overqualified then :lol: I go to two gyms actually, a commercial one and an old skool one; I was chatting with the manager of the latter about becoming a PT in the commercial gym and he laughed and said "Mate, I've seen the PTs in that gym - you get a job there and you'll put all the other PTs out of the job, you're a walking advert so everyone's gonna want you as their trainer!" :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Original post by Sae.HH

I have no issue whatsoever with parallel squats, they're a mass builder and that's all I give a crap about :lol: and I guess as a PT I'll just be teaching people how to get in shape. Any less than parallel, though, you're doing it wrong.
Reply 14
I have no issue whatsoever with parallel squats, they're a mass builder and that's all I give a crap about :lol: and I guess as a PT I'll just be teaching people how to get in shape. Any less than parallel, though, you're doing it wrong.

Oh yeah definitely parallel is absolutely fine, by half I mean like a 45 degree squat and quarter is even worse :p: I go deeper simply because I can but yeah I just think it's an injustice. At least personally I wouldn't be able to take pride in my profession if I wasn't doing my job properly.

Yeah it is goal specific that's true also. Most of these girls come in though wanting to learn how to squat, and they're not really taught properly, anecdotally speaking :p: I could be wrong over a large sample size haha
That makes me 1 year overqualified then :lol: I go to two gyms actually, a commercial one and an old skool one; I was chatting with the manager of the latter about becoming a PT in the commercial gym and he laughed and said "Mate, I've seen the PTs in that gym - you get a job there and you'll put all the other PTs out of the job, you're a walking advert so everyone's gonna want you as their trainer!" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Theres no harm in following through with it brother, at least thatll be 1 more properly trained and qualified personal trainer out there for people, instead of these wanna bes who think using a smiths machine still counts as squats!

Stop lying I bet ur max bench is 20 grams.

Agree with this, although the personal trainers that do know what they're doing often are really good.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Stop lying I bet ur max bench is 20 grams.

My cock weighs more than that, I lift it to go for a piss several times a day.
My cock weighs more than that, I lift it to go for a piss several times a day.

Stop injecting synthol into it then...

Quick Reply

Latest