The Student Room Group

Whats the prospects of university with a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in ICT

Im currently studying a level 3 BTEC extended diploma in ICT. Im on track this year for getting good grades. Ive got all the possible distinctions and merits so far this year. Has anybody been on this course and then went onto university. Im interested in studying something such as a BSC in computer science. Im just wondering what the prospects of moving onto university after this course and if they consider the qualification to the same as A-Levels and they are not bias. Finally if you have gone this route what grades did you finish the extended diploma with ? Thanks for the help ! :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, i got D*D*D* and i now study Computer Science at Royal Holloway, University of London

With BTEC IT you have loads of options for Computer Science, however generally top 10-15 unis will want to see Maths alongside your BTEC

These are the best (in my opnion) unis you can get into with the BTEC

UCL - ITMB - DDD
Bath - CS - D*D*D*
Surrey - CIT - DDD
Manchester - ITMB - D*DD
KCL - CS - DDD
QMUL - CS - DDD
Nottingham - CS - DDD
RHUL - CS - DDD
Southampton - ITO - DDD

If you are able to do A level Maths as well you could apply to:

Oxford - CS - DDD+A*
Southampton - CS - DDM+A
Manchester - CS
Durham - CS - DDD+A
Durham - SDB - DDD+A

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 2
Thanks so much ! At the minute ive got a B in my maths at GCSE (which i was amazed i got) as well with 8 other passes with varying grades, i dont think i could do A - Level maths. The university i would be most interested in Queens University Belfast , this is due to the reasons that the fees is nearly £3000 cheaper and the accommodation would be much cheaper than places such as London. Would you have any idea if Queens would be a viable option without the A level maths.

I assume you focused on programming in second year and not the media side ? How was second year in comparison to first year ?

Also I feel that some of the topics we are doing are worthless, topics such as e commerce, workskills and comunication and employability skills. How did you cope with how terrible they are and have you used anything you have learnt in them ever haha ?

Finally , how do universitys chose who they accept and whats the process of recieving a conditional ? Im worried about this as im not sure my tech offers help with writing my personal statement. Do universitys take the statement into consideration when choosing applicants ?

Thanks very much for all your help ! I appreciate it ! :smile:
Reply 3
Like the person before said, most uni's will accept BTEC although some of the higher ones may require A at A level maths.

The easiest way would be for you to just look at the course and entry requirements on their university website for the ones you would like. Every university has it and they usually say if they accept BTEC and what they would likely require.

I'm doing level 3 BTEC extended diploma in IT. Sent out my applications and have had 3 offers so far.

From my and my mates offers, you will most likely get conditional offers. Either by letter grades (DMM) or points (320). Only lower rated universities seem to give unconditional offers for BTEC.
When you get your offers you simply select one as your firm choice. That would be the one you prefer. And then another as insurance which should have lower requirements. Then if you get the grades for your firm, you automatically get the place as soon as they are confirmed.

I'm pretty sure you should be doing your UCAS applications in tutorial lessons from september and your tutor should be doing the reference for you. You could always ask your tutor or student support, etc. Office at your place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending